The best CGM watch face so far?

The latest Pebble watchface Simple CGM Spark has some nice features. In contrast to Apple Watch and other official Dexcom CGM displays, the small screen real estate is used very effectively: the scale is adaptive so that it is easy to see details of the BG curve shape over the past 40 minutes. In addition, as in the earlier Simple CGM watchface, the most recent change in BG value is explicitly shown as a number. Haptic (gentle vibration) alerts work very well. Setting the watchface up is, as the name suggest, really simple - takes a few minutes and requires no techie skills. Nightscout setup is not required. All you need is Dexcom G5 or G4+share, iPhone with Dexcom and Pebble apps, a Pebble watch, and Internet access (since data are pulled from Dexcom server). Here is how the watchface looks like on Pebble Classic and Pebble Time Round watches:

Overall, I find this CGM watchface a great tool for dynamic BG control (aka Sugar Surfing), and I use it almost exclusively - I rarely need to open the Dexcom app on my iPhone or to look at the Dexcom receiver. Credits and thanks for Simple CGM and Simple CGM Spark go to John Costik.

2 Likes

Nice write-up. I like the adaptive scale. The Dex app on my Apple watch wastes 80% of the screen always showing the 40-400 mg/dl. I also like the screen showing the actual numeric change of the last 5-minute gap. It would be nice to also show the change over the last 15 minutes or more for more perspective.

I didn’t know that the Pebble watches work without the NightScout setup and I can use my current G4+share combo. Is the Pebble display on all the time or does it need to be triggered?

Pebble display is on all the time. The battery life is about a week on the Classic, and about 2 days on the Time Round.

I just started using Nightwatch with an Asus Zenwatch 2 (AndroidWare) - I like one of the watch faces they have to offer - but always looking for better. I got the smaller version of the watch, so real estate is severely limited – but so far, I like it.
I have not figured out how to get the Dexcom Follow app to work with the watch – though I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like it anyway…

1 Like

Do all of you have the G5 or G4 Share? Does anyone use Nightscout or similar with the regular G4? Anyone know if it works with the Vibe (I’m considering getting this)? I love the idea of CGM on my watch, but we don’t have the Share or G5 in Canada.

@Jen, I suggest that you join the FaceBook CGM in the Cloud group. I think the answer to your question is yes, but you may need some additional do-it-yourself hardware/software.

TuD member, @2hobbit1, is another resource. She’s a frequent participant in that group. I’m very impressed with how responsive this group is to new people and remote CGM novices. I’ll be curious what you learn.

With the regular G4 there are in fact two different options available to upload BG data to a server (Nightscout) and then view the data on a watch of your choice, which could be AW, Pebble or AndroidWear:

1. A dedicated Android phone wired to the standard G4 receiver, or
  2. Wireless setup called xDrip, using DIY hardware

Both options require additional hardware and software. The setups are well documented, and support by the Facebook CGM in the Cloud group is outstanding, as @Terry4 suggested. If I were to choose one of these, I would go with the xDrip option. But, beware, this requires DIY hardware, as well as downloading and installing additional software [a project roughly at the level of a techie high-school student]. Is Vibe using standard G4 sensors/transmitters? If so, then the xDrip option would still work.

The Vibe uses the G4 transmitters, but not the receiver since the receiver is built into the pump. I actually have an Android phone I’m not using right now (I have an iPhone as my main phone), so I may try setting this up over the holidays, as it seems more simple than the xDrip option.

I have a suspiciously Apple watch-sized box under the tree but have to see about getting Medtronic Connect lined up and on board. I’m somewhat annoyed that Connect units seem to be aligned with the different models of pump as they have separate editions for 530i and Revel pumps. I currently have the Revel. I will give them a jingle at work today. I see the $99 “black Friday” deal is still in place which makes it more manageable but I’m looking forward to a new gizmo to play with…

1 Like

Hopefully that Apple Watch-sized box under your tree does indeed contain an Apple Watch (why the heck didn’t they just call it the iWatch, as I am sick and tired of my daughter correcting me when I call it this) because the Apple Watch is just the best toy I’ve gotten since forever. I feel like Dick freaking Tracy when I answer calls on mine! Let’s be honest here: Who hasn’t seriously fantasized about being Dick Tracy?

For those of you using Dexcom G5 who may be considering getting an Apple Watch, be aware that, although you are not YET able to directly link it to your G5 system as a Sharer, you can “back-door” it by making yourself a follower of yourself (if that makes any sense). I haven’t done this yet with my daughter’s Apple Watch (because I am lazy), but because it IS linked with her iPhone (we don’t call these “Apple Phones” for freaking sake, so why not “iWatch”? WHY NOT?!?!?), it does give her haptic (still my word of the month; I’d like to invite you all to take a moment to say the word “haptic” out loud. You’d be lying if you didn’t admit that doing so made your mouth just a tiny bit happier!) notification when her BG is out of range. For some reason, she is less likely to ignore the haptic (:heart:️) alert than she is the LOUD ALARM on her iPhone. That is, until the novelty wears off. Then I will begin texting her (which also gives a haptic :heart:️ alert) endlessly asking her if she corrected, remembered to bolus, set a temp basal, did my laundry, etc. until she does so. And if I later discover that she has not been truthful with me, there will be unholy heck to deal with, believe you me!

Before Dexcom’s mobile Share system was available, I briefly considered going the “CGM in the Cloud” route. But I honestly just didn’t want to eff around with all the jury-rigging which would result in my daughter having to schlep yet MORE D-stuff around. A little patience on my part and a little time and, voilà, Dexcom came through just like I knew they would. Don’t get me wrong: I appreciate the fact that the Apple Watch costs a chunk-o-change and the fact that many people find World Device Domination by The Great “i” unpalatable, but the Apple Watch is just such an awesome device that I can’t argue with greatness. The mere existence of the Apple Watch would be enough to make me switch to “Team Dexcom” were I a Medtronic CGM user…

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Apple or Dexcom in any way. I do not receive free products or own stock in either company (although I wish I did).

3 Likes

Also–you can customize they haptic alert (so you will know if it is email/text instead of Dexcom alert) without even looking.

1 Like

I know that I’ve made this point before but I think it’s a powerful one. The glanceability nature of a BG on the wrist makes a big difference to me.

It seems a small difference compared with a CGM monitor on my belt but the improvement is very obvious to me. The more aware I am of my BG and its current trend the more likely I am to make a timely and effective treatment choice. It seems the incessant neediness of diabetes has met its match with wristwatch BG displays!

1 Like

@Bradford1, how is the haptic alert changed? Different number of taps, different force? Where do I look in the software to make these changes?

To quote Wayne Campbell: I did not know this.

Thank you, Bradford, for letting us know! Are there any other cool Apple Watch tricks that anyone would care to share? It just keeps getting better. And, as of the time of my posting this reply, there is still time for a visit to Santa, if you catch my drift…

Here is one site you can look at for customizing: How to customize Message, Mail, Calendar, and other notifications on your Apple Watch | iMore

Hopefully Santa will be good to me this year.

1 Like

That “very small difference” becomes a MASSIVE OBSTACLE when dealing with sub-freezing temperatures, multiple layers of clothing and massive parkas! Especially when all of above are buckled into a car… The “glanceability” would then seem to become essential…

2 Likes

Thas, are you STILL wearing sandals in said sub-freezing temperatures? Just concerned…

Do not worry - my limit for sandals is the freezing point – at which point, I reach for my Uggs :smile: . That said, we’ve only had a couple such days so far this year, so my options are still open. Thanks for your concern!

It seems as if the Connect doesn’t offer anything that goes to the Apple Watch so I’m SOL on that. I will just have to look at my pump as I’ve always done. :frowning:

HI Could you help me?
I have xdrip (no cloud connection) and steel pebble, I downloaded the simple CGM sparkle and in the “select Mode” is not that option, I try the “Rogue” but no success…some suggestion?
THANKS!! :slight_smile: