Cgm

Hello everyone! I have been contemplating getting a CGM to compliment my Omnipod. I am sure some of you use a CGM and wanted to ask your advice and get your opinions about your experience. Is it worth while? Which type is best and how much does your insurance cover? I have UHC and my deductible is doubling next year so if I get one, I wanted to get it this year to limit my out of pocket expenses :slight_smile:

If I had to chose between my DexCom 7+ and my OmniPod I would pick the DexCom 7+ without hesitation. This says it all.

I have the Dex7+. I have been using it for almost exactly one month and I really like it. The injectors are a bit intimidating but I will get used to it. No pain really and they have been lasting 2 weeks. I helps keep me more attuned to what my blood sugar is doing. I caught several episodes where it was falling fast and I was able to counteract it before it got so low that I would have low blood sugar symptoms. Insurance was a hassle, I was rejected a couple times but with my doc’s help and especially the Dex people, the rejection was appealed twice and the decision to reject overturned. I got 90% coverage on it and supplies.

I would say, after using the Dexcom 7 for 3 months in a research program for the artificial pancreas, that it is a great add-on for a pump. I was using it with my Omnipod, which they don’t communicate. It is still a great advantage. It also isn’t accurate with the numbers but as the instructions say, you use it as a trender. Meaning that if you are going up or down it lets you know how quickly that is occurring so as clubkobe says that is a great life saver at times.

When I was running between about 70-140 it was accurate with my glucometer, but over or until that and it could be off 100 pts. but the trend is the part that matters.

Also, the injector is intimidating but there was little if any discomfort after the insertion. I am setting up now to get it but it all depends on what it is going to cost me. I can’t afford many more increases in $.

So bottom line for me is I highly recommend it.

The Dex and Omnipod have been a wonderful combination for me. I think they are both great. Knowing what my overnight BGs are was an eye opener, but being able to tweak my overnight basal hour by hour was a life changer. The same goes for my BG profile during exercise, or any other period of time for that matter.

If I had to choose between the Dex and the Omnipod, I’d choose the Omnipod without hesitation. Knowing what your 24 hour BG profile looks like is one thing. Having the ability to adjust basal rates and bolus to correct when needed is something else completely.

Been on both the Omnipod and Dexcom for about 3 months and love both. I am hypo unaware and it’s great to see when it’s crashing before it hits bottom! I’ve also heard that eventually the Omnipod will incorporate the Dexcom into their system so we’ll have just one piece of equipment to lug around, of course no one can say when.

I use the Freestyle Navigator and, like Helmut, would choose a CGM over the Omnipod if I had to choose. They’re wonderful.

But if I were you, I’d get the Dexcom 7+. The Navigator isn’t currently available and the Dexcom will be integrating with the Omnipod eventually so that you will need only the PDM instead of the PDM and the Dexcom receiver like you do now.

I have been using the Dex 7+ since August and LOVE it!! I was one of the lucky ones whose insurance gave no problems approving my request for a Dex and they cover 80% of the cost after I meet a $500 deductible.

For me, Dex was the only choice. The Navigator has been unavailable since earlier this year and there’s no way I would use the minimed (since it’s integrated with their pump and I’ve heard a lot of complaints from friends about theirs). The Dex has a lot of room for improvement, but overall I’m extremely happy with it. The trends help prevent a lot of lows (or at least alert me before I go too low) and knowing how my bg is trending has helped me tweak all my numbers and reduce my A1C while keeping my numbers more even. I find I miss the information when I have to calibrate my sensor after changing/restarting it. As several people have mentioned, the inserter is quite intimidating, but it’s really not painful. (I do recommend watching an insertion on youtube instead of following the directions in the user manual. It’s much more useful!)

Good luck!

Thank you for the helpful info. I looked into the Dexcom with my insurance, and it looks like even after my deductible and co insurance, I would end up paying roughly 1500 per year extra out of pocket since my plan has an annual cap of 7500.00. Thats kind of depressing :o( Insurance should cover anything needed especially if its going to help someone’s quality of life better! Looks like I will not be getting a CGM at this time.

Does anyone know if you can wear the DEX 7 while doing contact sports like football and ice hockey ?