Changes to the way Mac OS X 10.11 handles the CareLink USB

Medtronic has recently updated CareLink® Personal to support Windows 10 and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). However, Mac OS X 10.11 has made changes in how it handles many USB devices. As such, it is not compatible with the white CareLink USB (my device). A fix is dependent on Apple’s release of a solution. Does anyone know if Apple is trying to fix this or am I, once again, not able to use CareLink for another year (either until Medtronic or Apple fixes something). It seems that every time Medtronic updates their software to support the latest versions of Windows and Mac, I get shut out for whatever reason exists at the time of the upgrade. This time it is that Apple does not support my CareLink USB. Can anyone help me on this?

You may be able to get it to work if you can find an old USB 2.0 USB hub. Plug the Carelink into the hub and then the hub into your mac. The problem is the Carelink upload software, not Apple.

Thanks for the heads up that it’s functional now, and sorry it still doesn’t work for you! I’ve been using the user-agent dodge to get past the “Halt! Your OS is incompatible” barrier and then it works fine, but I upload from my ContourNext meter not a separate USB device. Different model Medtronic I guess. Should still work, since I have done it under El Cap already.

DrBB – I tried the work around and it gets me into Carelink but then I get snagged up with Java security. I downlowded Java and gave it access but I still can’t get through. Did you have this trouble on your Mac? I am running 10.12.

I tried it a couple of weeks ago and didn’t have any trouble getting in and generating reports but I did find that the reports were incomplete – it normally records your pump’s basal settings and those came up “no data,” among other things. Meant to harass Medtronic about it but haven’t gotten around to it. Have you tried contact them with your problem?