Medtronic Announces Mac Compatibility for CareLink® Personal Therapy Management Software for Diabetes

Big news for Mac users!!!

From the press release circulated by Medtronic today:

----

Medtronic, Inc. today announced the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval and the market launch of CareLink® Personal 5.4 Therapy Management Software for the Mac OS platform. CareLink Personal is a web-based program that helps people with diabetes assess their glucose control through easy-to-read reports, charts, and graphs. The software analyzes data from the user’s insulin pump, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device, and blood glucose meter to uncover trends and patterns in daily management that meters and logbooks alone cannot reveal.

“With the growth of Mac computer adoption, we wanted to ensure that our Mac customers had access to the same level of reports as our PC customers,” said Francine R. Kaufman, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and Vice President, Global Medical, Clinical & Health Affairs at Medtronic. “Actively managing diabetes is a key to success and CareLink is a tool that can help make it easier. CareLink translates insulin delivery, CGM, and meter data into reports that patients can use to understand their glucose trends and patterns.”

Users simply upload their Medtronic insulin pump, CGM, and meter data through an easy-to-use USB device. The data is securely stored for easy viewing from any computer with internet access. Over 35 meters are supported through CareLink Personal 5.4, including meters with that do not have Mac support through their meter manufacturer.

The CareLink platform also allows patients to authorize their healthcare providers to view their data by linking their CareLink Personal account to CareLink Pro, a provider version of the software. This allows healthcare providers to view patient information and make decisions about therapy adjustments.

U.S. customers can use CareLink Personal 5.4 with Mac OS® 10.6, Mac OS® 10.5 (Intel-based computers only), Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home, Professional, and Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit, Microsoft Windows Vista® Home, Business, and Ultimate, 32-bit and 64-bit, Microsoft Windows XP Home, 32-bit, and Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 32-bit. In addition, CareLink Personal 5.4 supports the following browsers: Apple® Safari® 4 and 5, and Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 or greater, 32-bit and 64-bit on Windows computers.

About the Diabetes Business at Medtronic

The Diabetes business at Medtronic (www.medtronicdiabetes.com) is the world leader in advanced diabetes management solutions, including integrated diabetes management systems, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring systems, and therapy management software, as well as world-class, 24/7 expert consumer and professional service and support.

About Medtronic

Medtronic, Inc. (www.medtronic.com), headquartered in Minneapolis, is the global leader in medical technology – alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life for millions of people around the world.

Apple and Mac are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Any forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties such as those described in Medtronic’s periodic reports on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results.

Medtronic, Inc.

Amanda Sheldon

Public Relations

818-576-4826

Where is the link for the software so carelink will talk to your mac?It need some drivers so you can upload the info from your pump.

I am honestly confused as to why this wasn’t supported for Macs in the first place—if it’s a web application it should work both cross-browser and cross-platform.

Was it originally one of those stupid, older apps that only worked in IE and wouldn’t even try to load in a modern browser (therefore cutting off Mac users)?

Augh, I click the link to order a USB cable for the pump and I get this instead: http://d.pr/iAHa

https://carelink.minimed.com/patient/main/login.do

If I remember right your computer screen had to be 800x 600 and windows 32 web browser.

It’s about time, ridiculous that they didn’t support macs in the first place. Does this mean we need to get the new USB then???

I love how they do this right after I started the process to switch to Omnipod! Great timing! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I am pretty excited for my fellow Mac users.

Carelink is an USB dongle that talks to your pump wirelessly. It takes the data from your pump and uploads to the carelink websire.

Sorry I have been talking to them since before the first of the year. They finally got to it. Maybe they got moving because they will be supporting Ipads for their sales staff.

Same USB device will work cross-device, I am pretty sure.

I know that, but it wouldn’t even let me see the page to purchase it because I am using Safari. Which is ridiculous.

How very 90s of them.

No. Just drivers… And extended application for web. Application on web is java application which needs to communicate with your COM or USB interface, so far only windows was supported… Now they probably added support for Mac too, and you will of course need special drivers for Mac…

Hallelujah! It’s about time is right! I’ve been struggling with this issue for a LONG time!!! I’m so glad they have finally come around.

I am uploading the info from my pump now. Just click on upload data and then follow the screen. You have to dwload java scripts and the at the last it will tell you to plugin the carelink usb device and the will upload your info!!! Finally!!!

I call support number and they walked me thru it !!!

I ordered one, but it remains to be seen whether I can make it work. It should come on Thursday.

it works! so easy, and so much easier then the whole boot camp run around - yay! And now for dexcom…

and yes, the usb wireless dongle thingy for the pump, and the usb cable for the meter all worked flawlessly so far on the mac. finally…

Running OS X 10.6.6 on a mac mini, the 722 medtronic pump, and a one touch ultramini for the meter. I lost my ultra link too many times!

Unfortunately I still can’t get it to work, I live in the UK, is this change for US users only? The web page still says that I have to use Internet explorer on a PC for it to work!