Covid Vaccine - are you getting it?

I see your concern if the professional are and others are not taking covid seriously

@PedsRN1, Can you help explain WHY the hospitals are not following federal guidelines issued by the CDC for vaccine administration/prioritization?

I know that you don’t have any say in this, but its making me have complicated feelings about this whole thing.

I raise the question here…Interesting info - #5 by Tim12

If I just had diabetes, that would be one thing, but I have heart stents, problems with high blood pressure, SIADH, and hypothyroidism. Other than that I am healthy. :blush:

1 Like

Yes, as soon as I can. I am very tired of depending on others around me to do their part. Many are not. I am so very worried now with everyone who had large family gatherings or parties over the holidays. And all these people than come into my work shopping, not wearing their masks correctly, not social distancing etc. I love my job but never thought I would be worrying everyday that people around me could cause me to get sick or maybe die. I mean I am a stocker not a doctor or nurse or fire fighter or police officer or military personnel. I stock things.
So yes, yes, yes I will be getting this vaccine. So I don’t have to worry everyday that I might bring it home to my husband.

4 Likes

I already got mine - no I’ll effects at this point. My coworkers have had the same positive experience.

4 Likes

There is a substantial increased risk of a serious cardiac event trigerred by a tooth infection, which you most likely know and need to balance against Covid risk. I have not had any procedures since being an infant and all of a sudden needed 2 surgical procedures in December 2020, one to remove an 11 mm kidney stone firmly inbedded in my ureter causing blood in urine after lifting heavy objects and another for a blocked bile duct. These required multiple visits to hospitals for CT exams, pre-surgical PCR Covid testing, surgical procedures and follow-up. Due to my age and underlying diabetic condition and exponential Covid cases growing in my area, I had huge trepidation preceding each hospital visit.

Except for a few non-invasive follow-up procedures this is all behind me now and the hospitals and staff that treated me were incredibly careful to prepare all rooms, including bathrooms, lobby’s, etc. with the utmost care and dedication against Covid. True professionalism at work by these frontline workers. It was an eye opening, not enjoyable, but reassuring experience.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your family the very best for 2021 and always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts.

3 Likes

So glad that you are ok C.! Happy New Year to you and yours too. Hopefully 2021 will eventually be a good year.

If the tooth pain gets worse I will have to go to the dentist. I have no swelling or redness and the tooth already has a crown, so I am half expecting the area to get better on its own. I rarely have problems with my teeth. If my glucose levels rise, I will take this more seriously, I just am tired of the dull ache. Wish I could take ibuprofen. I will call the dentist and see where they are with their vaccinations. I imagine they just received the first shot this past week. Our seniors in nursing homes haven’t even received vaccinations yet.

Yes, I am going to get it, when it’s available for me. I do have some concerns about how quickly the vaccine was pushed through…but it’s going to be, I think, several months before it’s available to me. I’m only 40 and I do not have any medical conditions except for t1d.

I work at a university, which is really not a great place to be in person during a pandemic. I have been working remotely (thankfully!) but I would really like to go back to the office. However, I will not be comfortable doing so without the vaccine.

1 Like

Getting the vaccine asap

I cannot explain. My hospital system started out prioritizing prior to the actual arrival of the vaccine and we had about 3 days of human resources making appointments for those staff and then after that it has become a free for all with open shot clinics for all employees. Are the “guidelines” really “recommendations” which leave room for states/hospital systems to do what they want?

1 Like

I was vaccinated last Thursday (shot #1)! I had NO side effects other than a slightly sore arm. I usually do not have side effects from vaccines. That being said, three of my coworkers were feverish and just exhausted for about 3 days… and none of them has diabetes.

I work in a hospital with kids, a lot of whom don’t wear masks and often their parents don’t wear them correctly, either. The potential side effects of a vaccine are much smaller of a concern than Covid itself. I am very comfortable trusting the people whose job is to do research and develop these vaccines. I trust the science. (Also I’m looking forward to seeing my family again, and once more of us are vaccinated I will feel ok doing so.)

9 Likes

No, they are not recommendations.
The Feds asked the States to agree to and adhere to the CDC guidelines as a condition of receiving vaccine. The Feds technically own the vaccine. I don’t know whats going on down there at the hospital, but I sense some abuse of that agreement.

We do know though, because this has been looked at systemically and there is no pattern like this across people. Inevitably, you’ll have some folks where this lines up this way, but it’s in no way evidence. Everyone with a diagnosis can probably wonder about random stuff that happened right beforehand, but unless those patterns emerged across many people, there’s no reason to think it’s a thing. Unlike some stuff, vaccines have also been studies in this regard (and many many others) and found safe, so unlike other theories that may be untested, the idea that vaccines could be an issue has been examined, both for diabetes and many other things. Also the most common ages for diagnosis of diabetes doesn’t line up at all with typical vaccine schedules, which if vaccines were a risk factor, you’d expect to be the case. If anything, the only evidence suggests that at least some vaccines may actually help prevent T1 diabetes, likely because they prevent the infections that can trigger the disorder. I would suspect that to be true of the COVID vaccine too, given the preliminary evidence that COVID infection may trigger T1D (and the vaccine in no way can lead to infection).

6 Likes

Yes I’ll be first in line when it’s available to me

Yes. I was fortunate to get the first vaccine dose for the Pfizer vaccine on 12/31 - happy new year! No issues. Hoping the 2nd dose will be on schedule.

3 Likes

Human beings seem to have a built in preference for “'After this, therefore because of this” (aka Post hoc, ergo propter hoc) reasoning. As a species we are pattern seeking machines. We are always looking for patterns in everything around us. We’re so good at finding patterns that we frequently find them in situations where no pattern actually exists. :cry:

The scientific method is our best attempt to date to try to work beyond our natural preference to delude ourselves with false patterns. In my opinion that’s why human beings tend to hate science. :thinking:

6 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Reminds me of “The West Wing”! Twas a good episode!

As for getting the vaccine … personally, I’m on the fence, but I have also read/heard I may not be a candidate. I’ll know more once I have my next appointment with the rheumatologist.

3 Likes

That’s what that phrase always makes me think of too!

1 Like

No question about it to me. As soon as it is offered to my group, I’ll be in line.

Besides T2, Asthma and Alzheimer’s peg it for me.

John

1 Like