Just made an account specifically to share this because it is dangerous and I’m not confident that Medtronic will fix in a timely manner:
I had the perfect set of unfortunate circumstances today that made me realize the 670 does NOT alert at all when insulin flow is blocked- except when a bolus is attempted.
I had a hectic day at work during which I ate very little and only low/no carb foods, so I never tried to give a bolus until the afternoon when my BG was up to 346 and I started feeling bad (which was unusual because of how little I had eaten and how much activity I was doing all day). I tried to correct with the pump and only then did a no insulin flow alert show up. I couldn’t immediately change the set so I quickly gave a correction with an emergency syringe to tide me over. From that correction, my BG came down, I soon changed my set and everything seemed fine. I might not have connected the dots except that the SAME thing happened AGAIN.
Coincidentally, I had a second faulty set insertion, didn’t eat or try to give a bolus for another 3 hours… then I felt sick, checked my number, tried to correct…and received the “insulin flow blocked” message again. I immediately changed out the set, this one has been fine…but the events of the day opened my eyes to the very likely possibility that the 670 just isn’t programmed to alert if basal insulin is blocked. I called Medtronic to tell them about it (their representative was lovely and very understanding and patient!) However, based on all of the many problems and bad reviews this pump has had, it might be a while before this bug is fixed (if ever). I just wanted to share so people know this is a possibility and can be mindful of it!