Dexcom 6 sensor expiration dates?

Hello there. Not sure how this happened as I always label my diabetes supplies when they are shipped to me and try to use them in order of their expiration date. Somehow, for my supply of dexcom 6, I must have overlooked a box that is marked Aug 10, 2021 expiration date and used a box of three with a later date instead. I still have two more of those august sensors and then the next box of 3 is slated to expire September 21, 2021. I saw earlier posts about other dexcom (4 and 7) sensors and expiration dates but not for the dexcom 6. I’d appreciate some insight from the community on this matter. Should I call dexcom? should I just continue using the august sensors and then move to the september ones after that? Needless to say, I am not in a position to throw them out and move on.

2 Likes

Just use them they will be fine

2 Likes

This is a rather old study from 2006, so the G6 didn’t exist yet. But I don’t think you should throw them away only a few days past the expiry date. They may not go the full 10 days or maybe they will.

Sensors were found to function as long as 18 months after the expiry date, mostly for at least 7 days.
Function and accuracy of glucose sensors beyond their stated expiry date - PubMed

The expiration date doesn’t indicate effectiveness. It indicates that’s how long they were tested to last… It could be WAY more… And it indicates the warranty Dexcom applies to them. So, if one fails early and you give them the lot number, they won’t give you a free replacement sensor because the warranty on it expired. But there’s no reason not to use it anyway. Just test your BG occasionally to verify that it’s working correctly, or anytime you’re symptoms don’t match the reading, just like you would with any other sensor because even in-date ones aren’t always correct. I’d you find you don’t trust it because it’s frequently off or erratic and you can’t calibrate it to behave, THEN chuck it out.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Dexcom sensors since 2009 and the 7+ sensors. I also make an effort to use the nearest expiration dates first. I did often restart the G4 sensors yet still received my supply (thankful for good insurance coverage!) and that led to often using sensors very close to or beyond their expiration date.

Over all these years and hundreds of sensors, I have not noticed any obvious connection between sensor expiration date and reliability. The sensor I’m currently using, a G6, expired 16 August 2021 and its performance is fine. I have two more like this and don’t expect any trouble going forward.

With expiration dates of my sensor supply synched up tightly with the calendar, this will continue through the end of the year. I have no worry about BG data integrity going forward. I prize reasonable CGM accuracy since I use that data stream to inform my automated insulin dosing system. My DIY Loop is performing well with a 14-day 89% time in range 65-130 mg/dL – all done with recently expired sensors.

I have used sensors over the years up to six months beyond the stamped expiration date and have not sensed any accuracy degradation. I do still run across a bad sensor every once in a while and if that occurs before its expiration date, I will call it in.

If I were you, I would use the August expiration date sensors before moving on to the September dates and not worry a bit about using expired sensors. The only disadvantage is your inability to claim a warranty replacement for poor performance or early failure.

Yeah, I am currently using a G6 that expired last month. I tested as soon as it finished its warmup and it said 106 and my meter said 100. So my first experiment shows, no problems. Not sure if it will make the full 10 days but it is working just fine. I find the same thing with insulin. Never had a problem with past date insulin. So I say go for it. Test if you feel the need, but I would use them!

good to know. thanks!

thank you. from the sounds of it, I can hang on to them.

sigh of relief, thanks.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am much more at ease now. These sensors are like precious golden eggs and I was worried that I had ruined them.

1 Like

Perhaps. If the less expected case actually happens and one of the expired sensors fails you, then I would suggest you go ahead and try reporting it to Dexcom and see if they will replace it. Also, given how your experience with customer service reps can vary, I would suggest continuing to do this a few more times even if Dexcom refuses to replace a failed expired sensor.

What have you got to lose? You don’t even have to call Dexcom since you can now submit the sensor failure report online using Dexom’s https://dexcom.custhelp.com/app/webform webform.

I’m finding that my recent orders all bring me supplies that are very close to their official expiration dates, including the transmitters. That is particularly true now that I have to get my supplies through Byram, rather than directly from Dexcom.

Since I have over the years accrued 8 more sensors than “they” believe I have, and I use them in order of soonest expiration, I may soon be using only expired supplies. The only piece I am concerned about is the transmitter, because with a battery, it DOES have a real expiration. I have gotten to where I almost always have an extra, by getting 10+ or 11 sessions from each. Not quite there yet.