Diabetes = We can't do that

So my husband just got dignosed a little over a week ago and all he really talks about is I will never to be able to have a beer again or pizza and all the other things that he use to do and so on… I’m trying to tell him that we can still do all the things and go to the places we use to. But I’m starting to think the same was. I realized that we most likely will never go to my favorite resteront the Melting pot again. I’s fondue and it’s cheese with bread then meat that is breaded and cooked at the table and then a chocolate corse. Dose anyone have any advise on how to not let these facts get you so down and how I may help him not feel like the fun stuff is gone for ever?

1 Like

Why don’t you go out and buy him a six pack of Michelob Ultra Light (2.6 g carbs per beer). Get some low carb tortillas (3 g net carbs), a jar of pizza sauce, a pack of pepperoni and some grated mozzarella cheese. Sit him down at the kitchen table while you prepare some low carb pizzas.

It is not like you have some fatal allergy to these foods, you just need to control the amounts. And over time you adjust. You will find that other foods become your favorites. And best of all since food is medicine for those of us with diabetes we can justify splurging a bit on food. Seriously, a filet mignon and lobster dinner is hardly being denied.

6 Likes

Well, both of you are going to have to accept some changes, lol… You could do that place once a year, definitely not once a week!
Cut down on beeror as I did pretty much gave it up for other, more carb friendly things to imbibe. Pizza in moderation.
It’s not really all or nothing, just less.

Experimenting now and then, I have found a beer that doesn’t bother my blood sugar much. Now is not the time to do such a thing, but when things settle down and you’ve got the hang of it - have one once in a while. D is not a death sentence but it is a pain in the @$$.

OR (if your husband is using insulin) he could just count the carbs in the occasional beer or pizza or Melting Pot meal and bolus accordingly. My daughter eats all these foods (minus the beer, of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) in moderation and does just fine as long as we carefully count the carbs and dose her insulin accordingly.

1 Like

Frankly I disagree with the idea that you can just eat whatever you want and just medicate. Maybe your daughter does “ok” with that strategy but most of us must view our diet as a primary part of managing our diabetes. And I would claim that most of us restrict the carbs in our diets in some way to manage our diabetes. That is just the way it is, diabetes is inherently a condition of carb intolerance.

2 Likes

welcome to TuD! diabetes is a game-changer and while id like to tell you, its gonna be just like it was, i cant. i was diagnosed t1 as an adult and it was hard to accept the loss of so many pleasurable foods and goodies. before diabetes i would eat chocolate flavoured cereals like it was my job. i still get wistful walking down the cereal aisle in the supermarket!

life does change after a diagnosis and you guys have challenges ahead of you. your husband needs to grieve the loss of his normal lifestyle but his anger/sadness/hopelessness wont last forever. it is very traumatic to be handed this life sentence of weighing strawberries and avoiding that second slice of pizza. but you will be able to do this together, and it is awesome that he has you to bounce ideas off of, endure the absence of the melting pot with him, and drink wine instead of beer!

i think the advice offered here so far has been excellent, and if your husband has been given (gifted!) insulin as part of his treatment plan, then getting these treats in will probably be doable after experimenting with dosage and timing-and as someone else has said, different portion sizes! if he hasnt got the insulin, well, i dont really know, as i am t1! there are lots of t2s on here that can probably give great advice about doing things without insulin. TuD has helped me so much with everything related to D and i hope you find it as helpful as i have!

1 Like

Thank you all you guys in just the less then 24 hours that I have been on here you all have helped so much. Even tho he will never come on here his self I do relay all that things that you have said to him and he also said thank you you guys are a great help.

2 Likes

@PinkCoffee welcome, we are so glad you’re here. We have a HUGE amount of low carb recipes here in our forum. And there is actually a recipe for low carb pizza that is AMAZING. Even my non-D family members enjoy it without any complaints. Hopefully these resources will hep in your journey.

1 Like

If it didn’t take up so much space (and wasn’t so repetitious), I’d just repost every comment above and put it in a bold font. You can still eat the same foods, just not as much and not as often. And you will discover other things you like. And your understanding of how your body reacts to things will grow and grow over time, so that you will eventually be able to control what happens pretty well. And . . . so on and so forth.

The only thing I will add to the excellent advice already offered is, don’t give up on the idea of convincing him to join TuD. It’s perfectly understandable that he’s in shock right now and not even willing to consider the idea. (My wife will cheerfully confirm that for the first few weeks, I wasn’t fit to associate with other human beings :wink:.)

Just don’t give up. When things stabilize and become less chaotic—which will happen, honest!—revisit the idea then. The two priceless benefits this community provides are a nearly bottomless well of shared experience, allowing you to learn from those who have gone before, and a place to talk with people who actually understand and get it. Those are two things every diabetic needs at one time or another.

1 Like

This recipe for low carb pizza is AWESOME! I’ve made it twice since Sunday. It’s super easy!!

1 Like

Funny thing I am, because this doesn’t work for beer, for me. Other carbs, it does work. Must be the grains used. Hence only one or two beers that don’t affect my bg as much and many more that do. :cold_sweat:

(I hope you don’t mind, I edited that to make it a hotlink :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Of course I don’t mind! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, while eating high carb foods every day might not be the best solution, i am a firm believer that you can eat everything. be it once a month with insulin and dealing with the aftermath, or once a year, it’s the amount that makes the poison.
Especially at the beginning stages it is important that @PinkCoffee’s husband doesn’t feel like diabetes takes out all the fun in the world, or he is gonna hate it for the rest of his life. and not hating Diabetes is more or less the only way to survive this mentally healthy i believe.
laughter and having fun is still one of the best medicines (saying this as i know as a T1 insulin still works better ;))

2 Likes

Of the three forms of alcohol all require a large degree of moderation when consumed by someone with diabetes.
Hard liquor, with it’s long term potential for liver damage, it’s affects on our judgement and memory, and it’s ability to create rapid hypoglycemia, is probably the least desirable of the three for diabetics, in particular type 1s. .
The carbs in beer are not particularly good for blood sugar control and are known to contribute to weight gain. An average bottle or can of beer = 100 calories. It takes 3500 calories to translate to 1 extra lb. of belly fat, and about six hours very brisk walking to lose that lb., so do the math. (Hint: why do you think they call it a ‘beer belly’?)
Red wine is an option that actually is recommended by many doctors because of the heart healthy benefits of the tannin in red wine. Again, moderation is the key, two glasses of red wine will not create any major upset for most adult diabetics, while a gallon jug could send you to ER with a major hypo not to mention the following hangover.

My mantra: Moderation not deprivation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to say all things in moderation, including excess. No longer my motto.

Welcome to the type 2 group. Life does get into a rhythm and moves forward. I would encourage the both of you to go to diabetes education class. Knowledge is key. Also try new recipes, lower carb. Continue to have fun with food. Summer is coming before we know it. Try new vegetables. Zucchini grilled with garlic is wonderful as an example. Good luck! Nancy