Diabetes while Downtown Drinking (in a dress)!

Hi everyone,

My friend’s bachelorette party is tomorrow about a 2.5 hour drive from my home. Therefore, it will be an overnight excursion (which many of you know travelling requires packing extra diabetic supplies and low supplies). The festivities are to begin at 2pm and I’m going to take a wild guess that it won’t end until 2am when the bars shut down. Besides packing extra supplies there are three other things that I have to consider as a woman living with Type 1 Diabetes:

1. My blood glucose levels throughout the day/night as I join in the festivities of drinking alcohol, carb counting at a restaurant…

2. Where to store my blood glucose meter, juice/snack while out and about- it’s definitely not going to fit into the little clutch I packed to go with my dress…

3. Where to hide my insulin pump in my dress. My thigh thing slides down and becomes visible below the dress and I hate wearing it clipped to my bra…

Ladies, I feel like some of you will understand! Non-diabetic friends would just not understand these thoughts as they do not have to consider them when out and about celebrating.

2 Likes

1.My blood glucose levels throughout the day/night as I join in the festivities of drinking alcohol, carb counting at a restaurant…
Alcohol will lower you BG levels dramatically. If you want to go wild, just call it an evening, monitor BG levels, be safe, Wine and will lower significantly. Beer and any fruity drink are carb loaded. If you like high power, try rum and diet coke.

2.Where to store my blood glucose meter, juice/snack while out and about- it’s definitely not going to fit into the little clutch I packed to go with my dress…
Lose the clutch. You need something to take to carry all the D Stuff.

3.Where to hide my insulin pump in my dress. My thigh thing slides down and becomes visible below the dress and I hate wearing it clipped to my bra…
Lose the clip and tuck it in your bra. I have tried a lot of things. I never use a clip–tucked in a pocket, underwear, stocking…For minimal hiding bra is best. So you reach in your dress…

Have fun and be safe, Check frequently. Avoid the high sugar stuff…and high carb stuff like beer. Be sre to hydrate with water and eat some snacks.

1 Like

Thanks, @Sue27
I have been doing this for years so I’ve definitely learned tips and tricks along the way.
I meant to kind of bring attention to the things that a woman living with type 1 diabetes has to be mindful of that others do not have to contemplate when going out.

I will be safe and ensure I keep everything handy! :smile:

here are some older discussions on the “where to pu it” problem

1 Like

Sounds like a ton of fun and (whew) a long day! I’m always amazed at how we have to do the extra work to look nice. Cute dress, check. Accessories, check. Shoes, done. Cute handbag… well crud. :smile:

I recently attended a wedding & used a running belt under my dress to hold some of the D tech supplies. Worked out really well. Could be a good option for stashing your pump, but I guess that depends on the cut of the dress. For a low recovery, glucose gel or even a small tube of cake icing works well while not taking up alot of space.

I hope you have a GREAT time!

1 Like

You might check at a running store for a thigh compression thing. I had a thigh (really, I think it was my piriformis so the thigh thing didn’t quite get there…) injury and got a thigh thing at the running store and it was pretty tight and I still use it to hold ice on various things.

1 Like

Thanks, @MarieB!

1 Like

Thanks, @LizBa! :smile: