Different arm or same arm for second Covid vaccine?

First (Pfizer) vaccine in right arm was fine. Wondering if I should switch to my left (Libre CGM arm) for the second, or stick with the first (non-CGM) arm??

You know you could go for a butt cheek. They told me that when I made my appointment.

However I intend to use the arm that does not have my dexcom in. What ever arm that will be when I get it. 2 weeks later means I’ll have switched it in between shots.

2 Likes

Same for me.

1 Like

Same.

I’m planning to use my left arm because my right hand is dominant. I was surprised by how sore my arm was with the first dose, and I wished I’d had the vaccine done in my left arm.

So I’m switching arms, but if I’d had the first vaccine in my left arm, then I would still take the second vaccine in my left arm.

1 Like

I had my first shot in my right arm because I am left handed. I didn’t even consider where my Libre was at the time because it was also on my right arm. I had no problems with the shot or the Libre.

3 Likes

I would go to my same,left, arm. I use my right arm for cane travel. So that works better for me. Nancy50

1 Like

I had the shot in my left arm and, while it didn’t hurt where the needle went in, my shoulder joint got extremely sore, for two days. Since I’m a righty, I’m going with the left arm again.

But, also, someone told me that you’re supposed to move the arm around a lot immediately after getting the shot, and that helps the fluid spread more quickly, instead of pooling and causing pain. My second shot is this coming Thursday…I let you know if that works!

2 Likes

I’ve had pharmacists tell me this, so I did this after my first shot and still had pain. It sounds like mine didn’t last as long as yours though. Perhaps moving it around helped!

1 Like

Mine was pretty severe, almost like there was a knife sticking right into my shoulder joint. After two days it went away completely. Odd, because I’ve never before had much of a reaction to any injection…at most, a slight bruise, but even then it was never bad enough to even bother me.

I’m definitely going to do the moving around of the arm this time…can’t hurt, and might help.

1 Like

So I’ve had frozen shoulder for two years in my left shoulder and use my right arm exclusively for Dexcom. I also have shoulder issues in my right shoulder from overuse (caused by frozen shoulder on the left). I am worried about having the shot in either arm! I am delighted to hear that @Timothy was offered the shot in an alternative area…! I’m not sure how the logistics would work, but would appreciate the option to have it in my hip/butt?! However, I am in Massachusetts where vaccines for type 1 diabetics won’t be happening anytime soon, so I have time to ponder… Jessica

1 Like

I haven’t had any yet but have been told by the medical professionals I have talked with have suggested using whichever arm you use the most. The pain will be less if you use it a lot. So a few of my coworkers used their dominate arm and did find it hurt at the beginning of the shift but eased up nicely by the end of the day.

1 Like

About all I had was a slight bruise after the first day when my arm was a little sore at the (Pfizer) injection site. Guess I was lucky, or maybe it was that I massaged my arm vigorously beforehand, and a little bit every now and then afterward. BUT, you have me curious, Ruth: did you also get the Pfizer, or did you get the Moderna?

Massachusetts is currently anticipating T1’s will qualify in April. Additionally many T1’s have 2 or more qualifying underlying conditions and they qualify to get the vaccine now. The underlying conditions are not only pretty far-reaching and vague, but no medical records are checked to assure an individual actually has any of these conditions.

What irks me more is that when I went for my vaccine, appointments were really tough to get in our area and most of the people getting the shot at the same time were retired people that mostly stay home but were there because they had nothing better to do with their time than to find an appointment and get vaccinated. Those of us in essential business that have needed to be at work every day during the pandemic with little to no time to secure appointments should have ended up farther up the priority list of appointments.

3 Likes

dogramma: I got the Pfizer. Hmm, it’d be interesting to do a poll and find out if one or the other vaccine caused more or less pain in the arm.

1 Like

CJ114: Are you in MA, too? I have to tell you that many of the elderly who got their vaccine appointments needed major help to do so, our state’s rollout was so screwed up.

I’m no expert, but I am quite computer literate. The sight was so damned frustrating. I finally got my appointment because three other friends took my info, we all got online the day they opened it up to under 75 year-olds, and one of my friends was actually able to get me an appointment. The two other friends and I, myself, were still in computer hell.

Supposedly they’ve improved the system, but I’m glad I don’t have to test it at this point, because one more 24-hour session of trying to get an appointment would probably push me over the edge!

1 Like

@CJ114 where are you hearing that T1s will qualify in MA in April?! That is great news!

Yes, I am in Western MA where vaccines are in very short supply because Franklin county has the lowest covid case counts in the state. I am 73 this year so certainly fell into the under 75 year-olds. Yes, I had to open multiple browsers and scour appointments in the details section of both the state and the federal vax finder in order to luck out and get an appointment. I was first scheduled as soon as the first batch was available for under 75’s and then the appointment was cancelled due to lack of vaccine. When the second batch was available one week later, I lucked out and got an appointment just a few miles from where I live. I was prepared to travel anywhere instate/out of state to get the vaccine as I am at work every day and close to others of all ages, some with masks and some without.

I am also very anxious to get back to my offices in China and India, but will not travel until my second dose is effective and quarantine restrictions are lifted or at least ameliorated.

Did it take time and persistence to get an appointment, heck yes but it was far more time-consuming than difficult. I also gave tips to other 65-75-year-olds, or 2+ comorbidities and younger, in our area that asked for my help and all those that were willing to do a little work got the shot(s)

1 Like

You can also check with Walgreens & CVS, senior centers and other venues to see how you can get in line at the end of day for any remaining doses immediately due to cancellations. In some areas of the State the lines are long and in others very short but changes week to week depending on allocation of vaccine(s) received and no shows for the day.

1 Like

Charlie Baker
@MassGovernor

Tomorrow morning, our administration will release the schedule for all remaining groups in MA’s vaccine plan. Every resident will know when they are eligible for a vaccine. Thank you for making MA a national leader in the vaccination effort!

5:52 PM · Mar 16, 2021·Twitter Web App

1 Like

So, I just got my second Pfizer shot yesterday, and the pain in my arm by last night was even worse than the first shot. And, I’m kind of all-over achy today, but then, I have fibromyalgia so it doesn’t take much to make me achy.

No other side effects, though. So happy…in two weeks, I can go to Connecticut and visit my close friends who will all have had their second shots by tomorrow.

4 Likes