Does everyone (anyone) use IV Prep when doing a pump insertion?

The question and answers about using an alcohol swab with MDI leads me to ask a similar question about using IV Prep or a barrier wipe when inserting a new pump site. I always do and have been freaked out a couple of times while traveling when I forgot the preps at home. They aren’t that easy to find on the road…

Thanks,

Maurie

1 Like

You can use plain alcohol wipes for preparing the pump site for insertion. I use IV prep wipes only because I also have to use IV3000 tape as a barrier (major allergy to the adhesive on the back of quicksets),and it helps the barrier tape stick better. Then I used the plain alcohol to wipe the top of the insulin bottle.

But, if you don’t have IV prep wipes with you, the regular alcohol wipes will do just as well.

Do not bother with trying to find them! Just use an alcohol wipe to clean a spot for an insertion. We have IV Prep because my wife used them to help adhere her sets, but I don’t use them because when I needed extra adhesion I used Skin Prep instead. Now I use nothing but alcohol and I cover Sure-T sets with an IV3000 to prevent them being pulled out by my active life-style and they work 100% to prevent an accidental tear-out of a set.

Nope, I just slap it on. Never had an issue.

I use nothing for the pump. No problem unless I rub against something in the wrong place. Must wear pj

I always use IV Preps unless, I do not have one. When that happens, I inset my set without using anything or I use an alcohol swab, but if you do use an alcohol swab you mist let it dry first, to ensure the glue on the set sticks.

Thanks everyone! I guess I’m one of those who is a sucker for the “rules”. But then I used a fresh lancet for every stick for about a year until the CDE working with me on my pump start suggested that I might at least cut it down to one per day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or cut down to one per month. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently I use one a week - after that they sort of hurt.

1 Like

I can’t tell the difference between a new one and one 3 months old, and I used to check 17 times per day on average. Not all lancets are created equal, either.

Now that I have a CGM, I check 2-3 times generally. Only when I forget to soak a sensor for a day, do I have to do a bunch of finger sticks on day One.

1 Like

Change the lancet? What is this sorcery? /s

2 Likes

Yes, I have always used them and feel kind of funny without them! I use the alcohol swab for my Libre sensors, but for pods (and formerly pump sites) I do use them. I was paying $12 from Medtronic, but last month I was happy to find out my insurance paid for them in full (and the price was not really showing as $12, but more like $8.) I don’t think you do necessarily need them but I prefer them.

I can’t remember the last time I put in a new lancet.

Nope. I have never done that. I feel like I am pretty prone to skin infection when my BG is high, but I’ve never had an issue w/ pump or dexcom sites and infection. kinda surprising.

Just started using them. I have been pumping since 2006. I just started using my thighs in the past year, seems like they would come off easily on the first day if tugged on, spoke to tandem and they recommended iv prep. It has worked for me.

I use IV Prep prior to Dexcom insertion (especially during the humid summers), but I’ve never had a problem with the adhesive on infusion sets. Try it both ways and see if you can last an entire infusion set session without! (and carry backup)

1 Like

For my pump and CGM site I swipe with a cotton ball and alcohol to clean the area. I only change lancets when I start to notice it hurts more and getting a drop of blood isn’t as easy. Months and months???

1 Like

I only use alcohol wipes for everything: Pump sites and my Dexcom CGMs.

I also recommend the fast clix lancets that have a barrel of six lancets in each one.

Or three months?:rofl:

I always use IV Prep wipes when inserting a new insulin pump infusion set.