Easier way to restart dexcom wo removing transmitter

FWIW, my experience was exactly the same. Unable to restart without removing the transmitter.

2 Likes

Yes, I can restart if I take the transmitter out of the sensor. However it’s difficult to do where I have it stuck on the back of my arm!

@MBW It is definitely harder at the back of the arm, I have to hold my arm up in the mirror, rest it on a counter and if that doesn’t work. get my hubby to remove it. But that is why I started putting it on the front of my arm or a little off to the side of the front. Even off to the side of the back of the arm helps some too. But somewhere on the front of the arms is my favorite area now. (Just not right on top of the muscle.)

If you don’t have an ‘old’ valid transmitter ID, is there anything that has worked for anyone? I already know my next shipment of sensors and transmitter from my DME supplier will be over a week late. It isn’t an emergency, but I do like have the Dexcom readings available to me. I have insurance, but they don’t care that the supplier is having personnel problems and messed up MY order.

1 Like

Timothy - I’m about to insert my first Dexcom sensor and was hoping to find out if people here are using Skin-prep first, or just the alcohol, as suggested? (but skin-prep posts seemed mostly 8-10 years old)
Do you have a sense of which way is best to let it stay on, happy, for the longest time?

thanks!!

@Mayumi I believe somewhere above that @Timothy mentions the current transmitter numbers work as long as you unpair and then pair again. You can always use the method of popping out the same transmitter to restart. Link below.

@ArcherAidan I’ve always used just alcohol, but I had a problem with the Dexcom wanting to fall off within a couple of days. I don’t have that problem with the Libre or my Omnipod. So I use Skin Tac to keep it on and that works great.

I’ve applied Skin-Tac to my Dexcom sensors successfully for many years. I use the Skin-Tac in the 4 ounce bottle with the fabric ball attached to a stick fastened to the underside of the lid.

I apply the sensor first to skin washed with soap and water and dried well. Then I apply the sensor as usual. Finally, I paint Skin-Tac on the top side of the sensor adhesive fabric so that it soaks through the fabric to the skin. I take care to overlap the Skin-Tac coat about 1/4 inch past the fabric edge.

I then make sure that the Skin-Tac has a chance to dry well before putting clothes back over it. If you cover it with clothes too soon then your clothes might get stuck to the sensor fabric and risks pulling the sensor off next time you remove that article of clothing.

1 Like

I would advise trying them without any additives first. Not everyone struggles with keeping them on. How can you know how well they stick to you until you try it? If it falls off prematurely, Dexcom will replace it. They also give free over-patches.

I started off with skin-tac, but became horribly allergic to it. I do much better without any extra adhesive. I can usually go about two weeks before they start coming up, at which point I put an over-patch on. My skin doesn’t make a lot of oil, though.

I’ve also tried skin prep, which are basically glorified alcohol wipes with a tiny bit of extra adhesive. Not a fan of that. The sensor tape lifts off it quickly, leaving a black ring of filth visible around the edges of the tape. It sticks better to me and dirt than it sticks to the sensor. On the other hand, the adhesive that comes on the sensor doesn’t leave residue on my skin. When it starts giving up, it stays with the sensor, so I’m not flashing anything unsightly under the lifting edges.

1 Like

thanks! That’s great to know!
Interestingly, as I went through the newest set up video, it said you CAN use an adhesive wipe now (though they suggest you apply it in an oval, leaving the insertion area clean of the skin-prep liquid).

Great to know - I’d love some over-patches - I’ve got some IV3000 transparent patches I used to use with my old medtronic sensors, so I cut a hole I tried that. =)

I do like a good hot shower, and the adhesives generally do not, ha. But I guess I’lll try various options and see what works best (and with no residue rings)

Rather than applying SkinTac to my skin, I remove the paper tabs from the sensor and paint the sensor adhesive with SkinTac. Let the SkinTac dry before applying the sensor. My sensors easily stay on for 10 days and I rarely even have the edges starting to peel up.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks, maybe I’ll try the SkinTac method next time!

As you will hear, everyone’s experience is different. I’m careful to wash the area well with hot water and soap, rinse well, dry well, and then apply the dex. Never had it come off before 10 days and the few times I’ve done a restart, it lasts the full 20. (I don’t usually restart though, no more difficult to swap out for me and it’s covered on my “annual plan” w/ Dexcom).

1 Like

I use an iv3000 tape under the sensor. I apply it to my skin and then poke the sensor through it. It gives a larger area to stick and give stability

1 Like

Perhaps this is obvious to everyone, but, to state the obvious, Dexcom doesn’t want to risk getting adhesive on the sensor probe which probably degrades its performance or worse.

You can order them for free from the Dexcom site if you want to try them.

1 Like

Really? That never occurred to me - will definitely try it if I have trouble. =)

I’ve use Skin-Prep(trade name) on sites and sensors soft 26 years, and I’ve not found anything else work as well. Hypafix tape is a great overpatch that is hypoallergenic, stretches, pediatric friendly, and can be peeled off by holding the sensor down and replaced with fresh tape.

1 Like

I am due to restart a sensor tomorrow. Can someone give me a transmitter ID that I can use to try this method of restarting a sensor?

1 Like

I want to suggest something different before u do that.
Because often the signal gets low and it sometimes won’t work by changing the sn and back again.

Try pushing a test strip into the narrow end of the sensor under the transmitter. Just stick it in there to block the contact.

Then wait 20 min. Pull it out and restart sensor. It works far more consistently.

No need to remove the transmitter and all that.

1 Like

Here is video for this method at time 3:24.

1 Like