Endocrinologists

I am going to be moving where there is no endocrinologist. It is a wonderful move but the one thing I will miss the most is my Endo! The first Endo I had I refused to go back to him and then my group got a new one that my Doctor referred me too right away!

What a difference! She is a type 1 and her NP is a type 1. They know what they’re doing and how to help, not only because of all the type 1’s they see, but also because they have personal experience. They also know to leave you alone if you are doing well, but you always get an e-mail response if you ask a question!!!

I’ve heard such horror stories about endos trying to change things on people and I guess I won’t have to deal with that as there is no endo. And this group will become even more valuable for input on anything pertinent to being a type 1!!! And I will switch Drs if I get one that I don’t like!

But I wish they would recruit type 1’s to become endos more!! Because not only is there a shortage of endos, but what a difference experience makes!!! And all the technology changes constantly!!! I’ve read somewhere each Dr will probably only run into a new type 1, one or two times in their life, which also means they probably have less than a handful of type 1’s in their care at any given time and probably a good deal of the type 1’s are being treated by endos!

Does anyone else have an endo that is a type 1? I am curious how many are out there? How many people are happy with their endocrinologist versus not?
And if you don’t have an Endo are you happy with your Drs treatment and knowledge?

1 Like

I’ve never had had success with endos. I just use my primary care doc for necessary prescriptions (insulin, pump, dexcom). I will say I don’t look to my pcp for much diabetes advice. I’m more DIY.

I don’t have an endo anymore but I’ve only ever had one endo that was a type 1 and he was one of only two Dr.s who’s opinions I respected and instructions I managed to follow. The other really good endo didn’t berate me or make me feel guilty when my A1Cs weren’t very good and seemed to understand that I was doing everything I was told but still not achieving my goals and talked to me like I was an adult who had some experience with this disease.

A couple of years ago I had a NP who was my primary care and she let me take care of myself and that worked pretty well. She knew that my 20+ years of living with diabetes was in my favor and listened when I wanted to change anything. To me there are two kinds of good Dr.s. The kind who know their stuff and can make your life a lot better with their knowledge and the kind who have good patient relations that just know when you are right and agree with you.

Good luck on your Dr. search!

Thank You!

My endo isn’t diabetic but he really is great! He appreciates my knowledge and awareness and welcomes my participation in my diabetes management. When we meet it is more of a discussion of what is working, what isn’t and what ‘we’ can try to make things work better. When there were certain tests I wanted, I asked if he would order them and he did. He has told me a number of times he wishes more of his patients would be as involved in their own treatment and health - that it was a pleasure for him to work with me. We both view the relationship as a ‘team’, and he has gone to bat for me a number of times with my insurance company to make sure I get what I need to manage my diabetes. He is also supportive when I get depressed if things aren’t going well, he helps me put things back in perspective. When I had a non-diabetic scare last year about possible adrenal cancer he moved heaven and earth to get the right tests done immediately even before I was able to see an oncologist. (It turned out to be an honest mistaken interpretation by another doctor on another test so no problems there). So, yeah, I like my endocrinologist.

2 Likes

How far away are you moving? I only see my Endo every 3 months which is required by insurance. If not too far away might be worth the trip

Jim, That wouldn’t work if you are on Medicare. We are REQUIRED to visit our doc, along with bloodwork, every 90 days, in order to get our pump supplies. Neither my wife nor I relish the time it takes to get labs and go to the doc (we now combine our appointments so we can drive together) every 90 days but it’s out of our hands.

I should have been more clear. I do the same, just with my PCP instead of an Endo.

2 Likes

I have a new endo, but his nurse is a type 1. So far, so good.

I am moving to the island of Kauai!! There are some on Oahu, just not Kauai which has a population of around 65,000. I will start with an internist and see how it goes. I have an internist now as a primary care and she’s been great but really doesn’t know that much specifically like my type 1 Endo does. That has of course really spoiled me.

When I moved 18 months ago, I made an appointment with a regional medical center teaching hospital diabetes clinic. They see lots of type ones as well as type twos.

When I showed up to my first few appointments, I made it clear that I am only showing up every 90 days due the Medicare requirement that makes me eligible for pump supply coverage. I did tell them that I value their medical expertise regarding interpretation of lab tests and their wider knowledge of the medical field but that I sought no advice regarding my insulin dosing and blood sugar management.

When the doctor looked at my CGM data, they know that I knew what I was talking about. They’ve respectfully steered clear of issuing the seemingly obligatory hypoglycemia warning as they had the hard data that my danger of going hypo is very low. I respect that they’ve looked at me as an individual. That makes me feel comfortable there.

I’ve decided to only see an endocrinologist once per year and a physician assistant three times per year. I’m good with this as I don’t think I need to avail myself to the endo’s more expert credential.

2 Likes

I go to Joslin in Boston where they all deal with diabetics all day long. ive had the same endo since 2009. i also go to their eye clinic as well. I go see him every three to four months. i see my diabetic nurse educator when my endo thinks i should go see her or i need training on a new device like i did recently. medicare does require you to go every three months and have blood work done as well. not sure why they are so picky. sometimes you cant get an appt every three months due to the drs schedule. i see my PCP once or twice a year and update her on my diabetes. so that is my deal with the endos. sometimes it is hard to get an endo that you can trust, etc