Enlite Sensors with Revel Pump

How are some of you able to purchase the new GCM with Enlite Sensors to use with the Revel Pump? My Endo wants me to get the new sensors and I just called to place the order but, I was told I can't get them unless I get the 530G pump.

I think the doc had to write a letter of medical necessity or some Mickey Mouse BS like that. Mine works fine. If I had the basal shutdown, I'd probably shut it off anyway so why blow a $whoknowshowmanyhundredbucksonit copay anyway...

Thanks, Acid! So, I went about it all wrong. Instead of me calling MM and placing my order I should first ask my Endo to send the letter of medical necessity? For my previous upgrades I called MM and they contacted my Endo for the new prescription. Like you said, BS.

Just get your doctor to write a prescription for enlite sensors.
Have him write on it " do not substitute"
I did this and got me sensors with no hassles.
They are bound by the prescription wording.

...although I figure they'd argue the "off-label" use of the gizmo would limit their liability if you kill yourself with it.

Thanks, Timothy! That sounds easy enough! I guess I jumped the gun thinking I wouldn't be able to get the Enlites so, I ordered my 3 month supply of Soft Sensors which I'll be receiving Monday. Do you think MM will accept a return on them if I can get the Enlites?

Good point, Acid!

your CDE can do it as well. They are so relaxed when a known Endo or CDE calls. Oh and here is a kick, they are allowing folks to stay on the sof Sensor and buy the new pump. I really like the new pump, but why stay on the old sensor? My CDE offered me that option a couple of weeks ago. Hmmm

That's interesting to know!

What would you suggest I do since I already have a 3 month supply of Soft Sensors coming in Monday? Can I return them if I don't open the boxes?

Oh and here is a kick, they are allowing folks to stay on the sof Sensor and buy the new pump. I really like the new pump, but why stay on the old sensor?

Have you compared the per sensor cost of Sof-sensor versus Enlite?

The prices below were taken from the Medtronic Diabetes online store when I posted this.

• Enlite sensors: $473.00 for 5 sensors or $96.50 each.
  • Sof-sensor: $439.00 for 10 sensors or $43.90 each.

In other words, the Enlites cost more than twice what the Sof-sensors do. Depending on what your actual out of pocket cost is for the sensors, some folks might not be able to afford the Enlites. No?

-irrational John
T1 LADA ~1980; 1st pump: Minimed 507; May 2013: Paradigm 723 + CGM

I have the Enlite Sensors and the Revel Pump and they do work with the Revel but only last about 3 days with the Revel opposed to 6 of 7 days with the 530G pump.
I don't feel they are as accurate as they should be and was reassured by medtronic that the 530G pump with the Enlite Sensors is much, much more reliable and accurate.
The Revel is a good pump and the Enlite Sensors do work with it but for me it was difficult to get the blood sugar levels remotely close to what my glucose meter came up with.
Maybe you will have better luck, if not it is good practice until you upgrade to a 530G.

Bagley wrote: I have the Enlite Sensors and the Revel Pump and they do work with the Revel but only last about 3 days with the Revel opposed to 6 of 7 days with the 530G pump. I don't feel they are as accurate as they should be and was reassured by medtronic that the 530G pump with the Enlite Sensors is much, much more reliable and accurate.

I think most of us already know that the firmware in the Paradigm pumps will signal a SENSOR END alert after 3 days. But if the sensor is still working for you, then one simply restarts it. On on a Revel x23 pump the steps are Main menu > Sensor > Link To Sensor > New Sensor. I don't know how to do it on x22s.

As for the 530g, yes, one of the "perks" of using a 530g pump is that the firmware has been tweaked to signal the SENSOR END alert after 6 days, not 3. (I wonder if it is 7 days for the "Vaio" pumps outside of the US? Does anyone else know?)

Medtronic currently endorses using either the Enlite & the older Harpoon (aka Sof-sensor) for at least 6 days in the US. In Europe the usage period for the Enlite is 7 days, so read into that whatever you will. Of course, some pertinacious folk have gone much longer by removing/recharging the transmitter battery. My anecdotal impression is that how long a Medtronic glucose sensor lasts seems to depend primarily on how "good" one's insertion & taping are. I think most of us will tend to do better over time with practice.

Medtronic may very well also have tweaked their calibration algorithms in the 530g's firmware to improve the Enlite/530g accuracy relative to your BG meter results. Can you point to a Medtronic document which says this? I am not aware of anything like this but I could easily have overlooked it.

-irrational John
T1 LADA ~1980; 1st pump: Minimed 507; May 2013: Paradigm 723 + CGM