Exam Fever!

Well, my finals are rolling around and the semester has passed by too quickly. I’m in the midst of catching up on a stack of backlogged readings at the moment and wondering how on earth I’m going to rescue my “spectacular” GPA.

I’m pretty wary of exam periods now because I was diagnosed right after my exams ended last semester. The extreme stress levels I faced had apparently helped to push my blood sugar through the roof, and since I already had an infection at the time, my body and pancreas were so stressed that I went into DKA and spent a couple of days in ICU (and subsequently three long weeks in hospital altogether).

I’ve been testing pretty often as I always do and looking out for any strange elevated numbers on my meter.

I’m trying not to stress myself out too much and working out is a great stress reliever, so I think I am doing pretty well this time round. I’m also so much more energetic than I was last semester, as I was so fatigued and tired all the time - all warning signs which should have triggered a trip to the ER, but some things I learn the hard way.

I’m curious as to HOW my blood sugar will behave when I am in the heat of the exam period. It’s a pretty hectic timetable I have, with horrid 5pm papers and all that.

Mentally it will be draining, and I’m waiting to see what effect it will have on my blood sugar.

I will bring my meter into the exam hall with me, and some source of fast acting carbs just to play it extremely safe. I don’t think I will need those, but it’s always better to be prepared.

My professors know that I have diabetes so they’re pretty much on my side. YAY!

But I am expecting to see numbers which are temporarily a bit higher than usual when I’m under exam-related pressure, so we’ll just see how it goes.

Any tips for managing blood sugar are appreciated though!