Experiences with used Minimed 722 pumps

Hey everyone!

I am currently considering using a looping system such as openaps, but I have a few questions about buying an insulin pump… I have been looking around the internet and put up a few ads, and as you probably all know, compatible pumps seems to be going for around 400 euro ($460) each. I’ve had an offer from someone who has a Minimed 722 pump, which has been used for 5 years and is fully functional. She is wanting 400 euro- even though it has already been used for 5 years. Do people have experience with using these pumps for over 5 years? If so, how long do they usually live for? Thanks for your help! Emma

I don’t have any insight to using an older pump for looping but there are some here that have had great success with these older pumps.
I will say, I used MiniMed/Medtronic pumps for about 24 years. And in that time frame I had 3 pumps. None of them were broken, just time for a slight upgrade. I will say my lasted. And I never had problems with any of them.
I say, if you are willing, go for it. I have been wanting to try it myself but it’s finding a pump that is the biggest problem.
But I think I will just wait a few more months and get a Tandem X2 with predictive low suspend with G6.
Good luck and I know when you get it, you’ll have people here to help.

I’m using an 8-9yo Medtronic 754 to Loop with currently, and I’m not having any issues. But the pump was mine, so I know it’s history. I have a tiny crack on the reservoir side, and have it fairly thoroughly taped, but no problems with it’s function. I’ve only been looping 6 weeks though😊.

I’ve been using an older used MM722 for the last two years as part of the Loop automated insulin dosing system. I don’t know the exact age but I think it’s about 10 years old. Pumps of this era are pretty rugged and can take a lot of daily wear and tear.

One of the areas where this pump can show damage is with cracks across the battery cap threads. This happens when the user over-torques the battery cap. The pump will operate with small cracks but it will become a problem if the cracks cause a chip of the pump body to fall off. I’m aware that even then, some users have been able to repair and return to service.

Also check that the bottom outside of the reservoir tube and make sure that the round end-cap is permanently affixed and is slightly recessed into the pump body. There have been failures where this end-cap pushed out past the bottom of the pump and an unthinking user pressed the cap back into place and cause an overdose of insulin. This defect can be repaired, too.

I would make sure that the pump delivery screw moves up and down well. This can be observed by delivering a prime and then rewind command. You can’t do this without the pump thinking that a cartridge filled with insulin is installed. You can simulate this just by issuing a prime command and holding a pen or a small finger to provide some back pressure against the screw.

If you’re on Facebook you may want to join the Looped group. There are many members experienced with buying the old pumps needed by do it yourself systems. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your help and experience! I feel a lot more confident now, and have managed to get a pump- soon to start looping :slight_smile: