Figured I'd be a copycat and introduce myself

Hi there whoever-may-be-reading-this, name’s Tristan and I’m a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic (hooray) as of about a month ago. As far as I know, no one else has had diabetes in my family.

Never, ever saw in a million years that I’d get anything, let alone diabetes, at the rip old age of 22, being a relatively healthy person. I had gotten sick in September '09, and between then and december had slowly been losing weight, among other things. Pretty much type 1 diabetes symptoms to the letter, actually. About a week or so into December I had pretty much crashed to the lowest point I’ve ever felt in my life, ended up going into the ER with a bs of 600+ or some such I was told.

Hell of a way to end 2009! :smiley:

Anyhow, found this community, I believe, googling about different meters that I could look at among other things, being in a general “must take in every bit of info possible” mood. Lurked a bit, seems like a very nice place so I figured it’d be nice to sign up to read/post with other diabetics because I’m really lost with this. So uh, hello, nice to meet you all and glad to see this community is here!

Hi Tristan,

Glad you found us. Welcome!

Tons of great info to search here. Don’t be shy & ask whatever you need to know. It’s overwhelming.

Your right this is a very nice place! Anyway Hello and hope you like it here as much as I do and anyway I can be of help please don’t hesitate although I’ve been A type 1 for 36 years maybe there’s something in my mind that stuck! I’m now 46 with 2 kids and soon (really soon) 3 grandkids!!

Welcome aboard, Tristan!

Tristan; I now how you feel, I was diagnosted december 09 with T1 D. Iwas i a comma for 2 days.
Is very scary, and overwhelming, but it get better. Start learning about carb.
GOOD LUCK

Glad you found us. Its quite a journey, learning to live with diabetes, but this is a great place to learn more information than you will ever realize you want to know.

Genesee Depot, my brother lives in Merton, so I go through your town every time I visit him. Which won’t be this time of year!

I’d like to join everyone here in welcoming you, although I’m sure you can appreciate, not under ideal circumstances. My own story was very much like yours, in that I was 29 yo, yes, perhaps a little older, but just as surprised at what life handed me without warning. You will encounter bumps along the way, I’m sure, but they’ll smooth out as you figure stuff out. I’m glad you found this group of very informative and caring people, and certainly as you have questions, don’t hesitate to post. There’s a lot of us out here that can help.

So nice to see you here Tristan =) Welcome!

Hi Tristan, I’m 21-years-old, and was diagnosed with type 1 recently too, this past April. Tudiabetes has been a fantastic resource for me, I’m sure you’ll soon become as addicted to this site as I am!

Welcome to TuDiabetes Tristan! I think that you will love this community! Please join in our discussions!

Your story sounds very familiar :slight_smile: I was diagnosed at the age of 21. Check out this group.

Welcome, Tristan!! You will learn from the many great members here at Tudiabetes and will definitely feel supported and encouraged. I know I have had that experience!!

God Bless,
Bruentta

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Reading these forums have actually came a ways in helping me understand the whole deal with diabetes, as well as definitely making me feel better about it all. :smiley:

Thanks again.

Hi Tristan,
Welcome, In the same boat as you. I just did it in Aug./08 at age 52. This is a great place to learn, being type 1 you might want to check this site out http://juvenation.org really good with nice people.

Hi Tristan!

Welcome! I too was diagnosed this year a week before my 28th birthday in June. It’s been a hell of a ride, but it does get better! I just started pumping about two months ago and it’s great! I asked tons of questions when I got here and got tons of information that I couldn’t find anywhere else. There are several books by John Walsh that are excellent and very informative!