Glucose buddy is helping me loads!

hi!! i am so excited about the glucose buddy app that i just wanted to let people know how it is helping me fix my lazy t1 ways!

for the last year or so, ive been kind of letting things really slip all-round. after a while being in this kind of D rut became the norm, though i knew i had to do something about it.

i stumbled upon the glucose buddy app somewhere at the beginning of september and saw that manny, the founder of tuD, said it was his favourite D app. so i decided to give it a go. i HATE technology btw. hate it.

you can save all of your daily info on it-insulin, activity, bg, food/carb consumption. i used to do this in a little notebook i carried around with me. my staying power with the notebook was like a week and then id feel overwhelmed at the task and underwhelmed by the results. i also became fixated on the numbers, that i had to eat less carbs, checking my notebook a million times a day, thinking about what i was going to eat next, what i wasnt going to eat…lots of food/eating thoughts.

the great thing about the glucose buddy is that it graphs your bgs every day, so you get your max, min, and avg bgs for every day. it is so easy to do and you dont have to carry around the stupid noteboook!

i have been so motivated to try to make sure my bgs are better than the day before and the day before that, and graph is a visual reminder of how im doing. since 11 september i have only had two bgs over 200. its not all the glucose buddy, im making some conscious decisions to change some rubbish habits i have, like snacking in the teachers room because everyone else is, but the app is really helping. just thought id post so if anyone is looking for a D app, they can try this one-i am loving it!

2 Likes

Hi, I am a type 2. Do I find this in the AP store? I use an IPad. I typed in glucose buddy but got lots of other apps. Glad you are doing better. Thanks for the help.Nancy

hi twinchick, yeah, im on an android phone and i went to the play store and got it for free.

Does it offer more data analysis? For me, the most useful D-data representation is the pie charts from the Medtronic Carelink/ CGM package. There’s one in particular that breaks the day down into time zones and then shows pie charts about high/ in range/ low during a particular chunk of day. To me, this is the most useful. I’ve been to docs who will sort of go through and “cherry pick” 'oh this number sucks and that number sucks…" but the patterns of “I have the highest # of out of whack numbers at such and such time of day…” have always been shockingly useful. A lot of times, if there’s say turbulence at lunchtime (and really, there’s always turbulence at breakfast, so that’s almost a separate disease…) and I can twiddle some D-knobs to fix it, it will also smooth out dinner, the evening and, maybe, breakfast in sort of a rippling effect.

I’ll attach an example of a CareLink report here but that’s my favorite D-thing. I am still too lazy to use an app.

wow, that is so detatiled! i dont think i can get carelink without a pump/cgm attached to me, can i?

Aug 16, waking up at 40. omg, how gross! :wink:

Eh, it’s all water under the bridge as that’s like a year old but, again, it’s not about cherry-picking out a number here and a number there but thinking “hmm, there’s some lows, where can I get this smoothed out?” and working at it. Unfortunately, if I had figured it out, I probably didn’t go back and upload a smoother and perhaps more successful report? Just an example of the type of data that can be compiled.

I think @Terry4 uses something called Diasend and then there’s another app called MySugr which I know @Scott_K_Johnson is involved with and uses. I think that any log/ app type of thing will produce some sort of data set if it gets the input!

1 Like

I agree with this sentiment, @acidrock23, because watching/entering data implies an engagement with the numbers. Engaging with the data naturally bolsters the effort to move the numbers in the right direction. That mindset eventually touches every small eating/dosing/exercising decision. The cumulative effect of those many small decisions aggregate to a significant good effect on what’s being watched. Success then breeds success in a virtuous cycle.

@pancreaswanted, I applaud your use of the Glucose Buddy to help clarify and motivate your daily actions. I’ve long found that watching a measure motivates me to make it better. I don’t think everyone’s wired this way but it’s been a boon to me. Keep up the good work!

Hi, Was able to get on the Medtronic Care Link 1 time! They updated their Care Link site over one wknd.; so, now I CANNOT get onto it! They told me (IT) that I needed > 7.0 for my Mac. Can’t always get MORE, of what someone recommends to you. No–no way of getting on.
DISAPPOINTMENT.

Greater than what … OS X 7? Do you mean OS X 8 (Mountain Lion) or later?

Have you tried installing another browser such as the current version of FireFox? I think if you did that it would allow you to use Medtronic’s CareLink. The most important thing is to use a browser which can support the Java applets CareLink uses.

The “requirements” which Medtronic currently lists for Carelink are:

• Windows 7 or 8 or Mac OS X 10.8 (Lion) or 10.9 (Mountain Lion) or 10.10 (Mavericks)
  • Windows Internet Explorer 10 or 11, Max OS X Safari 6/7/8 or Firefox 24 (or later)

However, typically Medtronic has a horrible track record for keeping this information up to date. For example, while Google Chrome is not listed, I have been able to use it with Carelink. So I would expect Windows 10 and versions of OS X and Safari which are newer than those listed above to also work.

If you try and happen to get the warning screen below, try continuing past it. That’s what I did in the past to use CareLink with Google Chrome.