Going back to my Ping

Got tired of bad sites with the Pod, so I went back to shots for a week. Got sick of taking a shot every time I ate something, so put the pod back on. Wore it on my thigh, which usually is a great spot for me. Bruised and hurt the whole 3 days, but ok numbers, so kept it on. Changed this morning - been running high all day. Was over 300 a couple hours ago - corrected - checked again at 4pm - still over 300 - corrected some more (not very much as I still had plenty of IOB) - tested again now (almost 5pm), still 287. Time to dump this thing and set my Ping up again. At least with my Ping, if I have a bad site, I can just change that and not waste 100u of insulin. Maybe I'll try it again when the smaller pods come out.....

Some people have a horrible time with bad sites because of the angled cannula in the OmniPod. You're the 3rd or 4th person I've heard of that had consistently bad sites. I hope you feel better back on your Ping.

When I first started pumping, back in 2004, with Minimed, I had tried the Silhouette infusion sets - had a horrible time with them. I had gushers for bleeders. I didn't think anything about that when I started with the Pod.....guess I should have. Don't know why the angled sets bother me so much. They're geared toward thin people, which I am (probably under weight for my height) - but they just don't work for me. When I put my Ping set in, I didn't feel a thing! But this tubing and having something on my pocket again, sucks....oh well.

That does suck. I wonder if OmniPod has considered having 2 lines of pods with different insertion angles? Hey Insulet - we know you're listening.

When I insert a new pod I always add a "priming" bolus of .25 to 1.00 units as soon as I have activated. This seems to help with the new pod lag.

I would do that too, usually a half unit after a change. The biggest issue was pain and bruising. Pain in places where my Ping sets never hurt. I always felt the pod while it was on. I still have signs of an ugly bruise that I got several weeks ago. Guess it just wasn't for me. Too sensitive of skin, I suppose. (feel like such a wimp...ha)

Ya big wuss. Do you/have you used a Dexcom CGM? That sensor goes in at an angle too. In my opinion, it hurts!

LOL. No, I don't have a CGM. I've heard the needles are "harpoons"! Not sure I'd want to try that...

The hardest part is that you have to will yourself to inflict sharp pain on your body. With the OmniPod you just push a button and then there's no going back and you can blame the machine. With the Dexcom CGM though, you insert it like a syringe. I often get half way and want to back out because it freakin' hurts. That's one of the reasons I used to love the Abbott CGM (the Navigator, RIP) - it was spring-loaded (with a 90 degree infusion angle).

i hope things are going better for you we had a lot of trial and error with the omnipod and have settled in after a year but i think your skin was just more sensitive than most all that bruising and all, it just didnt seem to work for you, honestly pumping is not the big "artificial pancreas' some lay people feel it is, it is probably more work than MDI the advantages are big but honestly i have more anxiety about pod errors, occlusions, dka that were never an issue on MDI ahhh the constant battle good luck with yours! best wishes, i keep reminding myself and my son he is not his diabetes he is so much more and so are you god bless! amy

What kind of set are you using with your PING ?

One set doesn't fit all, that's the problem with patch pumps and julie is right, they should offer at least one alternative, but being integrated you should get 2 FDA approvals, 2 lines to manifacture, 2 codes to stock ....

In the future, if ever they will come, you should try Roche Solo (patch pump with vertical set) and Cellnovo, which is smaller then omnipod but has a very short tubing which probably you can choose among many types (we will see ...)

If ever they come...

When I think of these kids on the pod, then I really feel like a bit wuss! Ha! Glad you finally got things worked out for Jacob.

I'm using the Insets with my Ping. Vertical insertion, 6mm. I've bruised, sometimes, with those too, but not nearly as often. I've looked at the Solo too - just waiting for it to be available. Haven't heard of the Cellnovo - will have to check that out also. I keep telling myself, I have it much easier than my mom ever did. She was diagnosed in the 60s. Went to the doc every three months for a blood test to see what her BG was. Took one shot a day. She ended up with complications and passed away a week before her 71st bday. So, I really should quit complaining.....

Here is cellnovo (link):

Source of images: link

link diabetesmine

Ok, I like this one. Especially this:

"Keeping Green"

"One of my biggest beefs with diabetes medical devices is the huge amount of waste created. Although the Cellnovo pump still requires the usual set changes, etc., the pump itself is not a throw-away, more like a tubed pump that can be used over time. The throw-away items here are the infusion sets and the insulin reservoirs only. In addition, the pump is rechargeable. Cellnovo provides consumers with two patch pumps, one to use and one to recharge. Instead of constantly tossing out used batteries, this is one way we can reduce our carbon footprint."

(quoted from diabetesmine article by AllisonB)