Greek Yogurt

I get my Greek yogurt from my butcher. The shop is called Andrews Brothers but they were the Andros or Andreas brothers before they emigrated. The yogurt is direct from an Athens dairy and doesn’t even have any English labels on it. It’s the best Greek yogurt I’ve had outside Greece. The next best is the Turkish suzme (10% fat) yogurt from the Turkish shop.

So if you have an ethnic shop of the Greek/Turkish/Mediterranean/Balkan flavour near you, it might be worth going in to have a look. I find the ethnic yogurts usually taste nicer and are thicker than the ‘Greek-style’ ones in mainstream supermarkets.

only tried the 0 %…with local honey = heaven!

The 2 percent is creamier than the 0 but has almost 2x the calories.

realizing that this is a reply to an old post, does anyone know where one can purchase Greek/Turkish yogurt in New York City? there seems to be places that sell a small dish. I have not been able to find a place that sells suzme yogurt by the container.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. ( I don’t want to make it from scratch.)

you should be able to get Fage. My favorite yogurt is Stonyfield full fat plain yogurt, you should be able to get it in the large containers in NYC, any major grocery store.

I also have a Yogurt Strainer (for years) - it’s like a very fine mesh strainer - like others have mentioned, the straining makes it “Greek”.

Fage and Stonyfield full fat are readily available. I think that both of those contain less fat than the traditional Greek/Turkish yogurt. I’m looking for more fat. Can I add cream to make it “fattier”? Am trying to do the low carb high fat plan. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You might be able to find Liberté Méditerranée or Kreme full fat yogurts at Whole Foods. They are about 10% fat. I doubt adding creme would give a good outcome. Greek yogurt is traditionally strained giving it a very thick consistency, adding creme would likely result in a runny yogurt. Yogurt is actually pretty easy to make.

I purchase nonfat Greek yogurt from Costco and add a few tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and a bit of vanilla into my 3/4 cup serving. Yum!

1 Like

i have this same reaction to greek yogurt (or any other yogurt/dairy); i always spike after 1C of the full fat Fage, Ciobani, Trader Joe’s… i have tried the fat free and the 2%. nothing has worked well for me. i don’t get it, b/c each cup has only 8gms of carbs. i can eat Peanut Butter all day long with no insulin, and i never have a reaction from it. in fact, what i’ve noticed w/ regard to eating the PB is that it seems to steady my BG from highs and lows.

now i have D friends who have absolutely no problem w/ yogurt of any kind but cannot tolerate PB. go figure.

1 Like

thank you thank you thank you!!!
you are the very 1st person ever who admitted to spiking after eating greek yogurt. i am T1D for many years…feels like, if my memory serves me well, that there was no greek yogurt in the USA before the past 10 yrs. but, when it came along, i did not own a CGM, so i never noticed that the yogurt was spiking my BGs. years later, after pumping, i got my very 1st Dexcom CGM, and i was able to see the trends in my BGs from hour to hour (or even minute to minute) now i am experimenting with dual boluses to find out how i can keep my BGs in check and enjoy my personal favorite: full fat Fage greek yogurt and eat an entire full cup in one sitting.

1 Like

Me too
I love faje fruit flavored Greek yogurt
18 carbs I bolus for it but Don,t eat yogurt nor milk at breakfast because it raises my bg
At other times it,s ok
I use almond milk for breakfast

0% if I get Fage. However, I usually try to eat goat’s milk yogurt. I am no nutritionist, but from what I’ve read, goats milk is easier on the human digestive system than cow’s milk due to some protein called casein.