Hello and new to pumping

Hello all,

My name is Scott and I have been a T1 since 1970. I’ve just been approved for an insulin pump and it should arrive on Tuesday. I want to thank you all for all the great info that is on here, it helped me make my decision to get actually get a pump after nearly 40 years of shots.

My decision to get the pump was based on my inability to take enough basil insulin (Lantus). I could not take enough to keep my sugars down without having severe lows, esp late in the afternoon and middle of the night. I also cannot feel my lows until my sugars are down to around 50, esp when I concentrate on work or something else. Having been lurking here a few days, I see that is not an uncommon situation.

I hoping the pump will level out my sugars, tho I’m sure it will take some tuning to get there

I went with the Paradigm 722, the OmniPod looked very interesting, but alas, my insurance coverage would have made the supplies for that very expensive for me. Right now, I’m waiting to hear back from my CDE to schedule training.

Anyway, have a good one
Scott

Scott,
Congrats on making the transition! We’ll look forward to hearing how it goes :slight_smile:

Happy pumping!

Congrats Scott!!!

I shot up for 36 years and have been pumping for 6. I too have the 722 as I use a ton of insulin as well. I KNOW things will improve for you. :slight_smile:

I wish you the best of luck in your transition!

Scott,

I wish you all the best with your pump. I too just recently went on a pump (omnipod). I had always been nervous at pumping until very recently I decided to make a change as my husband and I would like to start trying for a baby. So far I have really enjoyed the experience! Checking my numbers frequently really helped with the transition!

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks for the support everyone, I appreciate it and I’m certain I’ll have a ton of questions once I really get started. It was a tough decision to make, but I felt better once I made it

Jenine,

I will start Omnipod after 38 years of shots…I am nervous and excited…so glad it is a great experience.

Cindy

Congrats and don’t do what I did when I first started pumping. I was not used to normal sugars at all so a few days after pumping and my sugars started to become more stable I thought I over dosed myself when I checked my BG 2 hours after I ate and it was 132 (shots it was normal to be 350 or more) I disconnected and was terrified until I got the trainer on the phone who I think shot something liquid out her nose laughing when I told her of my “emergency” :slight_smile: silly me.

Be well and be loved

thanks Laura

that worries me too, gonna be a leap of faith I think to accept the fact that my levels can be a heck of a lot more “normal” than they have probably ever been. I think the biggest challenge I will face will be to check my sugars more regularly than I have

I’ll have a new tool now to help me manage things, gonna be hard to allow myself to use it, I’ve had to do it basically by myself for too many year… old and set in my ways, lol

At first you will do the whole “can I trust it” thing and that is normal.
After that you will settle in. The 722 has the CGM feature right?

it does, but I haven’t bought that yet, insurance doesn’t cover it and still a little leery of if, seems to be a first gen tech and I tend to be something of a late adopter/technophobe. I’d like to see a continuous monitoring of it once I get somewhat dialed in, maybe in a few months. I would like to see the meter actually allow me to control the pump, but one thing at a time I guess

Scott,
That is great. I became a diabetic in 71 and did not start the pump til Feb 07 I love it. I am on the MM722. Good luck

I just want to let you know that a very good friend of ours has been diabetic since he was 18 months old. He is about 56 now. His life was filled with rigid schedules and hypoglycemic unawareness . He did not want to use lantus and fought the pump for many years. He finally decided to switch to the pump. He said once he allowed the pump to do its job, the quality of his life improved immensely. For the first time, he did not have to eat on a rigid schedule!!! When we were discussing whether to place my son on the pump, he was so encouraging !!! He said he wishes he had done it sooner. So good luck to you. I think it can be a little overwhelming at first, but the support people at minimed have been wonderful. Best of luck to you. Congrats on making the switch.