How Do You Exercise?

Wowsa, Cody!!

I walked a mile to and from the gym, ran five kilometers and did 14 pull ups.

Tomorrow I’ll do 30 minutes of stretching, body weight and core exercises.

I make it a point to go to the gym daily, with one day off per week. I treat it like eating or taking medicine. And can’t be sacrificed for another activity. The trick, I found, to maintaining a consistent exercise schedule is to do it even when you don’t want to. If you find yourself doing that, you’re on the way home.

Terry

There is some days that I dont want to go and on those days I just remind myself on what it has done for my diabetes. I have went from 325 units of insulin a day down to 180 units a day from exercising.

This might seem excessive to some, but I’ve totally upgraded my workouts since joining a great local Health & Wellness center (a high tech, huge gym!)
Workout 1 - (2x a week)40 minutes fast walking on a treadmill followed by a leg workout on 5 different machines, followed by a free weight or machines workout for arms, then 3 machine/incline board for abs.
Workout 2 (1-2 times a week)15 minutes on a rowing machine followed by 15 minutes on an elliptical machine, followed by a combination workout using freeweights and machines for my chest, shoulders and back, followed by same abs workout as above.
BTS Power classes 2x a week- ( group workout using barbells, steps, all to music)
I’ve dropped 27 lbs in 6 months using this program and have kept my BG in tight control, in conjunction with a low carb diet - I like the Wellness center because you get a free fitness evaluation every 3 months by an RN and they always have personal trainers on hand at no extra charge to help you out. I like it there so much that my wife suggested (tic) maybe I should move in there and visit home on weekends-
If I really don’t feel like exercising on a particular day, I don’t— I just have a rule not to skip anymore than 2 days in a row. It’s gotten to the point that if I don’t go, I feel grouchy and guilty- a positive addiction? in my case, Yes!

I am trying to get back into daily yoga but it’s a bit difficult as my insulin schedule conflicts. I used to do nightly yoga as a way of getting to sleep (insomnia’s a pain) but after combining exercise (yoga, weights, sit-ups) with a nightly Lantus dose I found myself getting scary nighttime hypos. Morning yoga does not seem to work for me…

Maybe it was just the more intense stuff (the situps in particular, as they work that silly subcutaneous adipose tissue in my belly!) that caused the hypos. Either way, the yoga sort of scares me now. Mrrr.

Whenever my sugars are a bit higher than I’d like and I have the time, I go for a nice brisk half-hour walk.

I walk 45 to 60 minutes a day(when the weather is nice).

I try to walk my dog every day, although it doesn’t always happen. I live in a very hilly neighborhood, so even a 30 minute walk is quite a work out. Typically its every other day. I do get upset with myself, but I realize life gets in the way sometimes. Although my dog isn’t happy when I’m in sweats and we’re not walking.

I really couldn’t live without exercising. It just feels good so I don’t have to motivate myself to do it. If I miss it, then I get out of sorts.

I walk to and from work, about a mile each way. That’s one advantage of living in the city. You have sidewalks.

And fortunately I can take a two-hour lunch and there’s a gym a block away from my work. So pretty much every day I work - five days a week - I go to the gym. I always do some exercises where I’m lifting my own weight – pull-ups, dips and push-ups – and then I do 70 minutes of cardio, usually recumbent bike. I put on my iPod and read for 70 minutes. It’s a great two-fer. I get to exercise and I get to read. The time goes by very fast. If for some reason I forget to bring something to read and I have to watch tv, the time crawls and I can’t do the 70 minutes. The worst is when I get to feeling low before I’m finished and I have to stop. I go through a lot of sugar during those 70 minutes.

I used to run, but running’s hard. I did three marathons (Marine Corps, Burlington, VT, and NYC) I think because I wanted to prove that I could, even with diabetes. Running is much harder than riding a stationary bike. I was in better shape, but running is much harder on your body too. Still, I kinda miss the running.