How to restart G6 transmitter?

Umm, I am confused here, this appears to be your thread, so was it covered free for you because you are type 1 or not? Did you meet those criteria of needing glucagon, er visit etc? Or did they cover it for you due to being on it already?

My dexcom sensors are more expensive through dme than rx but it seems I can still get them through rx. Whereas the transmitter is $10 more per copay on dme, but not significantly more.

I noticed someone said it is covered in BC and Quebec without caveat so that is good to know. It seems like you were paying $300 a month with employer coverage so that is still pretty expensive for 90% coverage. And your tslim pump is covered but the supplies are not covered- how much does it costs per year for them?

Dexcom: Iā€™m not eligible for Ontario government payment because Iā€™ve had no serious hypo episodes. I pay $300 per month. I can claim it up to $3,000 a year on my employer sponsored coverage.
Tandem: pump is covered by provincial government. Government also contributes $2,400 yearly for supplies (cartridges, infusion sets, etc). The remainder is out-of-pocket for me.
Insulin & drugs: paid by my employer sponsored drug plan.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the most important ones will be, but hopefully I will be able to do something. I am older too and have all of these conditions now which makes it a lot harder. I need something where I can set my own time and hopefully wfh, that made things much easier for me.

It sounds like except for part of dexcom and pump supplies you get some covered by employee ins. I wonā€™t have that so BC or Quebec would be better. Hopefully Ontario will change the requirements in time. I am not sure what they consider a serious hypo, but I can guarantee you Iā€™ve had them- the fact that I was able to stop myself from passing out does not mean they are not serious.

Exactly! The regulations and qualification criteria read like they were devised by somebody with no clue about diabetes. And the lack of clarity for somebody who already is on Dexcom but needs coverage. Aaaggghh

1 Like

Yes @Jimi63 - youā€™re correct there. Iā€™m just currently starting the Pump Program where there are online classes and you basically connect via zoom. Itā€™s a great way to meet more diabetics in the province of Alberta. But changes are coming to the program and i fear that the Pump Program will become limited to those under 18 yrs. Itā€™s interesting, I think long term diabetics need these tools to prevent any sort of long term complications. But I was happy to see Blue Cross provide coverage for children. That will make a difference for sure.

@Sheryl Stay tuned regarding the future of Albertaā€™s Pump program:

ā€œAnnouncement coming Thursday by Minister Copping regarding the governmentā€™s plan to add copays, premiums and fees to the Insulin Pump Therapy Program.ā€

I suspect the end is near for those of us 18+ whoā€™ve relied on the pump program for the past 9 years :cry:

Really disheartening for those of us who need these tools. Not sure if Iā€™ll be able to continue - once Iā€™m contacted by the Kaye Centre team, Iā€™ll let you know what they say. As Iā€™ve mentioned before, itā€™s great for those under 18 years but for long-term diabetics - T1D here for 51 yrs - youā€™d think the gov would realize these tools are even more critical to prevent long-term complications. Makes me sad for all the Alberta diabetics. Itā€™s also just not fair.

1 Like

It was funny, for my second Zoom pump class with a registered nurse, when I registered for the course there was a page that asked ā€œHow are you going to pay for this class? Via insurance or is the individual responsible for all payments going forward?ā€ I asked the coordinator what she thought and she said ā€˜oh, Iā€™ve never seen that beforeā€™. Writing is on the wall, I fear. Itā€™s really too bad theyā€™re throwing those who need these tools under the bus.

2 Likes

We really need to make a lot of noise about this and we need to do it now.
Iā€™m in Edmonton and will join in any demonstrations opposing the adding of fees to the pump program. It will be so difficult for so many and none of the pumps are inexpensive.

2 Likes

@Sheryl With the rumour that this Thursday the Minister will make an announcement about how Alberta Health plans to proceed with the Insulin Pump Therapy Program, @Pump4LifeAB invites you to join a virtual community meeting on Thursday July 21, 2022 at 8:30PM.

The meeting will be an opportunity for community members to connect about further actions that may be needed to protect and enhance the Insulin Pump Program in Alberta

Depending on what the announcement is, this may also be an opportunity to connect and celebrate together as a community of people who are affected by access to insulin pumps.

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYpduChpz8pGtK_4GbO0YQ0OtUFVwMORwqw

1 Like

Thank you so much @Jimi63 - appreciate you letting me know.
I hope it wonā€™t be what weā€™re expecting. But once again, thank you very much @Jimi63.

1 Like

Great news @Sheryl - Alberta drops proposed changes to insulin pump program! :hugs:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s just so great @Jimi63 Happy to hear. Iā€™m on the Omnipod Dash and itā€™s not covered anyway. I may get an older version to help paying for this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Yep and by people trying to stop most people from getting covered. And age should have nothing to do with it, children should not be getting preference imo. Sorry if it sounds awful but itā€™s true.

The reason I am on Dexcom now is because my Endo yelled at me literally because I was having terrible lows.

I had tried it on the very first model maybe not long after I was diagnosed on my own initiative and it was so inaccurate then that I gave up. And then kept having terrible lows crashing down rapidly which did not respond. He told me it was better and had improved a lot so I tried it again and he was right- itā€™s certainly not perfect for me but itā€™s the only way I can have some type of a functional life.

The pump has helped me tremendously as well because I can turn off the basal insulin when Iā€™m having a bad low now.

3 Likes

With the Dexcom, it slows down the flow and turns basal right off if trending too low.

1 Like

I was exactly the same way @meee, almost identical in fact. Found that Dexcom really helped me lose the low hypos but Iā€™m also using an Omnipod Dash as well, just started that in November 2021. Both tools help immeasurably but there is zero help from the provincial and federal govs. Am lucky cause my brother is highly successful and has been funding these tools for me for about 6-7 yrs. Donā€™t know what Iā€™d do if he didnā€™t Iā€™m so reliant on them now. But the fact there is zero help from govs is absolutely appalling in my books.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand @MBW - I can only get readings from the Dexcom, it doesnā€™t provide any insulin whatsoever. Please explain, Iā€™m so curios. Thank you.

Some pumps such as Tandem with C-IQ or the new OmniPod 5 use the Dexcom data to adjust insulin. C-IQ does basal, Iā€™m not sure what Pod 5 does.

Itā€™s the coordination of Dexcom and the pump.

2 Likes

Yes! Iā€™m hoping that the Omnipod 5 will work well with Dexcom. I have Omnipod Dash and unfortunately I need to manage my insulin distribution through my Dexcom numbers. Another unfortunate thing is that none of this is covered by the province I live in - Alberta. So itā€™s crazy expensive. A family member who is quite well off takes care of the costs for me at this time. Iā€™m currently seeking employment and am hoping I can find something that will provide some coverage. Itā€™s frustrating cause without my brother, I still be playing with MDI and risking lots of hypoglycaemia. Would love to see if this will ever change but I have my doubts, the world doesnā€™t seem to want to provide those of us who need these tools a less expensive path.

2 Likes