How to Start Your Own Diabetes Blog, by Sysy Morales

This is a short (15 page), fun, beautifully illustrated guide for folks who are interesting in "blogging" about their experiences with diabetes but need some tips and encouragement to get started. It's an inspiring read, and it's free right here!

That's a great guide. I'm not sure that I like blogs as much as message boards though. Message boards offer more interaction but, if you want to engage in ranting, there's usually ample space? I like the feedback and the sense of an ongoing "cocktail party" where people wander in and wander off too. I don't get that from blogs that seem a bit more "rockstarry" to me? Perhaps ironically, I wrote a blog on the subject of "blog vs. forum" a while ago.

Good job Sysy for a very entertaining read!

I agree, AR, and probably feel even more strongly. I always feel a bit irritated when there is a thread and somebody directs you to a blog, instead of just saying what they want to say. I think you are right that message boards are dialogues, while blogs are monologues. I think blogs are part of the trend of "making public" what is more appropriately private. Like people that tweet their every move as if somebody would really care that I went to the market and did my laundry today. I also happen to think writers are special talented people with something unique to say, and well, not everyone is a writer!

This with apologies to those few whose blogs I actually feel serve a purpose such as Melitta who has accumulated so much good information on LADA.

I'm also a bit amused by the idea of a "short guide" that is 15 pages long. I once bought a computer desk and the instructions to put it together were 22 pages long - I was terrified!

Thanks Emily and Sysy, this is a great guide for anyone contemplating their own blog. I enjoyed reading it and the illustrations were beautiful.

I love to write blogs and wrote some on TuD, but unfortunately I run low on inspiration for new ones. Congratulations to all you folks already writing blogs for the benefit of us all, either on your own websites or here on TuD.