I think my sister might have type 1 too

i don’t know if this is where i will put this. but i think my sister who is younger then me she is 16. i think she might have Diabetes. she have a lot of the same Symptoms i had. the Symptoms i had was going to the bathroom a lot. i was drinking water lots of it. but that is nothing new i still drink a lot of water. & i was always Tired. but how do i tell my mom i think she might have it to.

If it were my sister I would check her blood sugar. If it’s higher than a normal blood sugar then tell your mom that she needs to take your sister to the doctor right away and have her tested for diabetes. .

It’s not an easy subject to talk about; it’s scary. But it is important to catch diabetes as early as possible.

Good luck, and my hopes and good vibes are with you and your family. :smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes siblings or parents are diagnosed too. The best test is usually pre breakfast eg not eaten overnight or 2 hrs after food. Even if blood sugar ok maybe sister needs to see doctor to check symptoms. Hope all ok.

yeah I’d check her bg in the morning (fasting). make sure she washes her hands first. also is she losing weight?

You’re in the right place, if you don’t mind, I can change the title to “I think my sister might have type1 too”

sure u can change it. i did have my mom check her bg today. & it was 157 that was in the morning she check it… & she is losing weight a lot of it.

I would say then the signs are there for a call to the doctor - please keep a close watch on her - maybe if you have ketone strips (you should) check her urine for ketones. but please call the doctor first thing tomorrow, & keep checking her bg if you can.

1 Like

she have a appt with the doctor tomorrow. and we do have ketone strips. & we been checking her bg whenever we can & we been logging the numbers to. don’t know if logging them will help but it was my mom idea to do that.

1 Like

Make sure she keeps that appointment tomorrow! If things get worse before then, tell your mom to take your sister to the nearest ER. Odds are, your sister has diabetes. Please keep us posted.

Make sure that they take a Hba1c test also.

i just was wanting to let you all know what is going on. the doctor did a blood test & a Hba1c test they both came back saying she a type 1 to. right now we at the Hospital they are doing more tests. & i’m geting worried about all of this.

2 Likes

Start by being glad that your experience and observations led to your sister getting the care and treatment that she needs much more quickly than might have been otherwise.

1 Like

@erice sending you some BigHugs and lots of prayers for your entire family. Don’t worry, it will be ok. Thanks for the update. Stay close to your sister.

@erice, you are the best brother ever! I am glad you are there for your sister. :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Erice,
I was 16 also when I was diagnosed with type 1. I felt it was the end of the world. I felt very much alone and alienated from my socalled ‘healthy’ friends
She is very lucky to have you as her older brother. It takes a period of adjustment until she gradually learns the coping mechanisms of this disease.
Be there for her & let us know how she’s doing

right now she is tired but other then being tired she is doing ok just wants to go home. i been at the Hospital since 12. at home now.

Wow, Erice, that is amazing that you observed your sister’s symptoms and got her the care that she needs. She is indeed fortunate to have a brother like you!

1 Like

I wish I’d had a brother like you…

1 Like

@erice, you are an amazing brother! Best wishes to your entire family.

1 Like

Way to go @erice! Great catch, big brother! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

You’re an amazing brother. So glad that you’re there for your sister.

1 Like