ID Tags

Have a pretty one, fairly delicate silver chain, never ever take it off! Previous one broke after 10 yrs. I always wear another decorative bracelet on the same wrist & I’m adding a medic alert charm to it too

I have thought about getting an ID bracelet, but I don’t know what to put on it. Since it’s been less than a year I get kind of scared about how it will look and what people will think. Guess sometimes I have hope that I will grow out of it like I did asthma, but I have recently learned that that’s probably not going to happen because I have type 1.5 (so my doctor says, I want a second opinion).

Yeah, mine is thru Medic Alert. I also have my card in my wallet.

This discussion seriously snagged my attention, two reasons:
ONE: I am an Firefighter/EMT, when we’re responding to any kind of emergency the more information we recieve on the way or get straight off of our patients is vital. It could mean the difference of seconds or minutes while we assess you. The first thing we look for as far as information on an unconscious patient, that no one witnessed going unconscious or that no one knows, is medical ID tags. In the form of regular identifcation and in tattoos! Yes, we can be taught to change and progress with the times. Imagine if you don’t have any ID on you informing us of a medical condition, that means we start with our normal patient assessment, i.e. airway and so on…that could mean precious seconds or minutes before we check your blood sugar…that scares me for you…being one of the emregency repsonders out there who truly TRULY cares about you!
TWO: My amazing Twin has type 1 and a tattoo that signifies it, I think it’s brilliant for those who can’t stand stuff hangning on them…I fit in that group! I hold all of you in the highest regard! I believe that living with diabetes is the stuff only heros can handle and I commend you all - you are my heross

Mine is ss too, and its on all the time, except when I garden. I don’t need it accidentally falling off and getting buried with my tomatoes.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and advice. I have ordered one, and I will post a picture when I get it. THANKS!!!

aww thanx twinny

Hello Rolland – I wear mine everyday. I actually have to – I travel on business and practically at work 14 hours a day, so it is an important accessory for me. Go to fiddledeeids.com – great choices, different styles, and cheapest I’ve found. It is also very beneficial if something happens to you and you are alone the paramedics can identify that you have diabetes – and yes, ER does give glucose IV bags…

Bracelet or necklace? The necklace can be hidden under clothing but do medical personnel check there, too? Or just the wrist? I have other medical conditions and I have been thinking of getting one for those. But I’m pre-diabetic (and determined to stay that way!) so not sure if I should get one that says diabetic. Anyway, where was I? Oh, right. Bracelet or necklace?

My opinion on this is that people with diabetes should wear IDs if:

• they have experienced diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)
    OR
  • they are on a treatment that can cause severe lows (i.e. insulin)

These are the two possible causes of loss of consciousness, which is the time when the ID is necessary. So by my “rules”, all people with type 1 or LADA should be wearing IDs and those with type 2 who have experienced DKA or are on insulin and prone to lows.