Is it Coke or Diet Coke?

Good point Jonathan,
After a little more than one year, brussels sprouts–only 6g carbs per 1/2 cup–and other veggies steamed & topped with fresh shredded parmesan cheese (0g carbs) are starting to taste very, very good to me. And most desserts, icecream in particular, are now too sickening sweet. So I agree it’s just a matter of what we are used to.

I think diet tastes nastier lol. But I’d rather drink that than give up soda all together lol. Miss my regular coke =]

lol, like the word. Next time when am ordering diet am gonna say to the waiter “I will go with one Nasty coke!” lol and see what will happen :slight_smile:

No I cannot tell the difference.
My nephew used to work at Subway and said they got the hoses mixed up all the time - connected the diet ot the regular. And also said that sometimes some of the more “fun loving” employees would switch them just to be mean.
I used to use Testape on beverages, but I haven’t seen it around in years and really don’t think they make it anymore.

I can’t tell the difference as I never really drank much soda before D and don’t drink much now. I always get hubs to taste all my restaurant drinks just in case. I’ll have to look for those strips as well.

I have never been able to tell the difference. I ussally have friends nearby who can so its not a big deal for me. It seems like in restraunts though that they really only have diet for the cola produdct, either pepsi or coca-cola. I used to never drink cola, I used to mix all the sodas together. So the big deal for me is not wether I’m drinking regular or diet, but if they have the right kind of diet soda!

Ya, we should tell them "Do you know that there is other diet drinks? 7up, dew, sunksit…etc

I wonder if it is Okay to bring your own coke with you when eating at a restaurant?

I can tell. Still, just to be safe, if I order it in a restaurant I sometimes tell the server, “I’m diabetic, so I’d really appreciate it if you could make double sure it really is diet.” Everyone’s always been really nice about it (helps that I’m a good tipper).

Funny thing is, I rarely used to drink soda before I was diagnosed with the beetus, and now I drink it regularly because it’s one of the only sweet things I can fill up on without feeling guilty.

OMG that’s hilarious. :smiley: I just looked it it up. You’re Right…it was diet back then. I also just asked my Hubby if it was diet. He said No, it wasn’t. :smiley: I used to drink it cuz I liked the taste. He used to drink it since I liked it. Thank’s for setting us both straight Sarah. :smiley: Maybe we’ll try it again.

Yes, if it’s really dark then it’s more than likely diet. If the restaurants would use a dark glass that would certainly help, but they may still get it wrong. I’ll give you my secret hint -always just ask for “diet” not “diet coke” because they are so use to hearing “coke” that usually that’s all they hear (especially after going by two other tables before actually pouring your drink). Do a color comparison next time your out & you’ll be like “she’s right”! :wink:

It is pretty depressing to go into a place that has 8 different kinds of soda, only one of which is diet pepsi or diet coke, while they have sprite, rootbeer, orange soda, 7 up and cherry coke in addition to coke or pepsi. It almost seems discrimminatory.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a non-diet coke. But once a fast food place accidentally switched drinks on me and I knew it immediately. This was after 50 years with type 1.

I can tell the difference when it’s a plain Diet Coke, but add the Jack Daniels and it can be hard to tell!

I ended up using my meter to confirm my Jack and Diet Coke was, in fact, a Jack and Diet Coke. (Its “blood sugar” was 35, for the record!)

I can tell the difference. I used to be a huge Coke drinker. When I was DX with diabetes I switched to Diet Coke which by the way I can’t stand. too much of an after taste. I drink Diet pepsi now when I drink soda. I don’t like regular Pepsi. It took me a long time to get used to Diet soda of any kind but now I prefer it. Coke is too sweet for me. (wow, never thought I’d ever say that!).

Glad that you do.
I wonder if it is related to having diabetes for a long time that affect the sense of taste!?

Yes, I feel the same about regular Coke, with Pepsi even more. I can feel the difference, regular Coke it is not refreshing for me anymore. We seldom buy sodas for home, but in restaurants, I tend to order diet, ever since Manuel was diagnosed I stated drinking diet soda… I know all that aspartame, not good, but well, I try to keep it low

I always think I can’t taste the difference but then I occasionaly have to get a regular coke to raise my BG and then I think “yuck, this stuff is nasty,” and I realize I know exactly what a regular coke tastes like. Ew. Someone commented below that restaurants screw up a lot, and I agree. The best is when you ask for a diet coke and they give you a regular and you do the polite smile and “this is a regular coke. I need diet. I have diabetes.” and then you watch the face of the server fall like you are going to have seizure right then and there and they are “so sorry about that…” Its not that big a deal but how bout you just get it right the first time??

Hum, I don’t think so… I don’t have diabetes, but I am SO used to the taste of splenda, for example, that, (although I can tell the difference), I actually enjoy it, I got used to the taste. Its that almost creepy reaction when you pour Splenda into liquids reminds me, hey this is not natural, it is not sugar.

I sister will not tolerate ice cream with Splenda… for us is all we get.

i can definitely taste the difference i the taste is very distinct and i can’t stand regular coke.

oh i get the restaurant mix up all the time. i say i want a diet. typically i get a diet coke but there are those times where i get a regular and i am not a happy camper. sometimes i will have a mixed drink where i mix diet coke with lemonade regular and when i ask for half lemonade half diet coke they give me one whole cup of diet coke and one whole cup of lemonade. crazy people.

Oh my, I went to buy lunch and order DIET mountain dew, so the cashier told another girl what I need and that girl was chatting with her friend while filling regular mountain dew in the cup, so I told the cashier “I ordered a diet!” she answered “Yes I know” and I pointed at that girl, and told her that I need DIET, she empty it and fill it with diet.

Am glad that the fountain drinks machine was in front and that I can see what they are filling. I can imagen what will happen if I drink a large 32oz of regular coke. Thx god