Joslin 75 Year Medal

I
I received my Joslin 75 year medal yesterday, August 10. I will not complete 75 years of Type 1 until September 15, so I have received the medal early. Several days ago I mailed a copy of my book to Joslin. It gave a thorough description of the days leading up to my diagnosis in 1945. I think the book may have given the needed proof for my 75 years.

Dr. King, Director of Research and Founder of the 50-Year Medalist Study sent me this message:

“We honor those with long duration type 1 diabetes by hosting a Medalist gathering every other year. The next celebration will be in 2021. I hope to have the opportunity to meet and personally honor you at this meeting.”

The Medalist meetings are usually held in May. I would love to attend that meeting, but I am concerned about being there in a crowd, and the virus. Maybe things will be more safe at that time?

15 Likes

Congratulations Richard!! 75 yrs is a very long time. If Covid is still bad in May then I would hope that they wouldn’t want a bunch of long term diabetics making the trip, and so would postpone the celebration.

2 Likes

@Marilyn6, I agree. The Joslin Diabetes Center would be one of the most unlikely places to hold a meeting of older diabetics.

1 Like

Woohoo!!! @Richard157 Awesome!

2 Likes

WOW 75 years with diabetes. It’s been 53 years for me.

1 Like

Congratulations! That is amazing and an inspiration for all of us!

1 Like

I’m truly in awe. I see how far we’ve come in my 30 years. I know how I barely survived the R/NPH era. It’s astounding to see how well people have thrived through the years.

2 Likes

Congrats @Richard157 !!

Hope you can make it to Joslin if things are safe by then. I will have 56 years next year and thought about going one of these years. I think they do event every other year ??

1 Like

They have Medalist meetings in Boston in odd numbered years. I am thinking the 2021 year may be postponed until 2022 because of the virus. If so, the future meetings might be held in even numbered years.

1 Like

@Richard157 Congratulations! You’re certainly an inspiration for all!

2 Likes

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: Congrats to you Richard :blush: maybe they can have a virtual ceremony on Zoom if it is not safe then. The other member here who I remember who had type one for that long was Shoshana.

2 Likes

@meee, I remember Shoshana. She was diagnosed several years before me.

2 Likes

Yes, she was 3 years old and came here from Eastern Europe… she was amazing too.

1 Like

Congratulations Richard.

1 Like

:partying_face: Congratulations @Richard157 :partying_face:

It’s truly a miracle you’ve made it this far, especially considering how crude T1D management was in the early stone-age days

1 Like

Where can I get your book, Richard? I’m gonna buy it.

Things will be settled down by May, most likely. I hope that you get to go, too. Otherwise, we can have a virtual party for you here!

1 Like

Congrats, Richard. I’ve lived with T1D for 37 years, only half your duration! You provide inspiration to us here. Thanks for your posts.

1 Like

Amazon is the only place to buy my book. I never did have my book published by an actual publishing company. It has sold many copies on Amazon.
The link you posted gives the procedure for placing the order.

2 Likes

Its on its way, Thanks Richard.

1 Like

Congrats Richard on 75 years!!!
You’ve shown what can be done against all odds with care and diligence.

1 Like