Jumping Ship?

So 9 months ago, I bought a Cozmo. I've liked it a lot. And they're claiming that they will support the device for the duration of my warranty - which will expire in July of 2012. I can get my cartridges from Edgepark and I use Animas infusion sets anyway. Looks like I'm all set, I guess.

But then I imagine waiting until 2012 with no potential advancements, integrations, or updates to my pump model. Is it worth giving up a device that works great NOW to jump ship from the company? I have a perfectly good, in warranty, working pump. I hate this feeling. Shopping for an insulin pump escalates me to my most anxious level of buyers’ remorse. I tell everyone here at TuD that you can’t make the “wrong” decision about a pump…and yet, that’s exactly what I fear doing (or fear I have already done).

I have talked on the phone with Abbott, Insulet, Animas, Medtronic… Considering my options. UGH. Did not want to go through the pump shopping process again this soon. Seems like some of them will have something new out in the next year. If I do the transition to these companies now - when they’re offering GREAT deals - won’t it be cheaper to upgrade in the long run?

My biggest concern is my Freestyle Navigator (by Abbott). I LOVE IT. It’s not that I don’t like the Dex, mind you. I’m just really happy with my choice of the Nav. No regrets there! But with Smiths out of the running and Abbott not talking about their pump development yet or endorsing any one particular pump as far as future integrations are concerned, I’m frustrated (as my three calls to Abbott this morning probably conveyed). I am waiting on a call back from Abbott corporate now. None of their customer care reps are authorized to say much. It’s not that I want to know who’s integrating with the Nav. I just want to know who is not going to be Nav-friendly. I don’t want to jump on over to a Ping and find out with their next model that I would have to get a Dexcom in order to take advantage of all its great features. That’s part of why I left Medtronic. Not worth paying for a pump that was integrated with a product I wasn’t planning to use. So what then…the Pod? Perhaps. Their reps can at least tell me that they’re open to integrating the use of both Abbott and Dex.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks to all those who listen / comment / make suggestions / empathize / etc.

wait a sec… the companies still around might come up with some new stuff… you still have a warranty… why not wait for a while till you see a better pump OR save some money and stick with this one till you read to upgrade? Don’t know what’s best, i don’t have a pump. But saving money seems to be an important thing now adays

I know the stress of pump shopping. No words of wisdom, just solidarity.

I’ve been thinking about which CGMS I will eventually buy. I feel like these purchases are such a commitment. More than a car or other large purchases.

Have the companies stated when their offer to Cozmo users will “expire”? Perhaps you can buy yourself some time and see what with happen with Abbott.

Omnipod is offering their PDM and a month of pods for $49.99 with pump trade-in until July 31st. The PDM would be brand new, but it would be their first generation PDM - not the 2nd gen coming out in May/June.

Animas has a similar deal good until July 9th. Gets you a reconditioned Ping system for $200 after pump trade-in and a month of cartridges and infusion sets.

Both companies will honor their products for the duration of your current Cozmo warranty. Minimed’s deal is similar to Animas’s, but they will only offer up to two years warranty on the reconditioned pump.

I just bought my Navigator 3 weeks before the Smith letter came in the mail. My warranty only goes to mid August but I am not willing to make a quick decision. I paid the 49.99 for the Omnipod deal which expires July 31. 2009, and figured I can give it a try now before all the other offers expire. I also think they send you the PDM and month of pods requesting you send them your pump in 30 days but they have no way to enforce this. I am hoping that it will be the system for me but if not there are other options for the next couple of months. Sounds like MM is planning to sell a tubingless system in the next year so you may want to wait for that to take advantage of all the options. Good luck.

i suggest that you wait until something interesting comes
about the whole no updates,imagine that the cozmo hasn’t decided to close,and they are still working,but no updates for a while,would you just dump the cozmo?
what ever you chose to go with,i wish you luck =)