Longtime lurker...now a member!

Hi tu community!

I’ve been a lurker on these forums for quite a while and just never got around to creating an account…don’t do much forum things these days.

I’ve had T1 for over 20 years and my HbA1c control has ranged from 6.5-7.0 pretty commonly. Recently, in the last couple years, I’ve converted to Afrezza and my primary day-to-day and now I’ve been at 5.8 for the last two years.

My first CGM was a G4 and I skipped until I got to the G6. I’ve had many frustrations with the G6 but overall it’s hard to think of life without it.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

10 Likes

Hi and Welcome @RyeFry !

Welcome, @RyeFry. I didn’t sign up at TuD in the beginning as I was content to just read without commenting. That’s useful but does have its limits.

It looks like Afrezza suits you. That’s a great improvement in your A1c.

I’m still using the Dexcom G4 as I accumulate some buffer stock of the G6 sensors. Was the frustration you experienced with the G6 just something when you started with it and now things have smoothed out?

Welcome @RyeFry to TuDiabetes!

Nice to meet ya’

Welcome, RyeFry.

Welcome out of the shadows, @RyeFry.

Welcome RyeFry :grin:

Good to have you RyeFry !!!

Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

Welcome to the group! I am a type2 of 27 1/2 years. I love my pool. Nancy50

The G6 is as mixed bag for us. Of 3 sensors, one of my wife’s is bad. I’m only on my second sensor and I don’t have much complaint YET. I had better luck, statistically, with the G5 which I used for over 2.5 years with only 1, MAYBE 2 bad sensors.

Welcome Nancy, it is great that you have joined us.

Hi everyone!

My name is nick and I have been a type I diabetic for the last 13 years (since I was 11). I started going to diabetes camp the summer right after I was diagnosed and it was the best thing I ever did for myself! Since then I have gone as a camper or worked there almost every single year, and it has always been so good for my physical and emotional health.

About 6 months ago I was offered a job at an organization in the East Bay in California, called the Diabetic Youth Foundation, running year-round programs for kids, teens, and families affected by diabetes. It has been the BEST thing that ever happened to me! I always thought that camp was just a fun thing to do, but that it could never be a “real” job. But it’s awesome! The people I work with are amazing and passionate, and the families are great. It means so much to me to give back. I encourage anyone who feels like they need some support in their diabetes care to go out and find a camp, support group, or something like that to help them through it. There are SO many out there and it has made an incredible difference in my life!

I love talking to other diabetics, especially parents because I feel like they have a lot of questions about what it is like growing up with diabetes, and I would be happy to answer any questions that you have. I also really love talking to other people my age, in their 20s or 30s, who sometimes struggle with the day-to-day. It can be hard to have the constant motivation to check and really pay attention can’t it! Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and say “I’m over it!” but that doesn’t solve anything. A sense of humor about the disease has really helped me to cope and stay positive.

I just hope its a real forum and not some big pharma scam that blocks users who protest insulin prices because I looking for others to join in.

Big pharma likes to keep their cash cows contained you know. Is this website AstroTurf ? Who funds this place ?

Anyway thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Welcome @ItsNicksDude

It’s nice to be able to talk to other diabetics!!!

And it is definitely a real forum!!!

See how long you last if you protest insulin prices and try and get others to join in.

Or watch how long I last.

Look for this screen name and post tomorrow.

Hi Nick - I lived in the SF Bay Area for 30 years and had some contact with the Diabetic Youth Foundation. I was involved with a non-profit start-up that trained service dogs for people with diabetes and the DYF helped us get our name out.

I’m aware of their Bearskin Meadows camp in the Sierra but have never visited. I was not diagnosed until I was 30. It sounds like a great program. Do you work at the summer camp for diabetic children? I think someone your age can do a load of good helping pre-teens and teenagers adjust to their diabetes.

I’d like to hear more about your job with them if you’d like to share. In any case, I’m glad you’re here. This is kind of like a diabetes camp for adults!

1 Like

Mine was camp Ho Mita Koda in Newbury, OH. Best thing in the world was to be exposed to others like myself in those tender years, and to great to do the “normal” activities I was otherwise too much of a liability to do. (Pre-internet days, before anyone knew the 504 disability regulations were a thing.)

Here’s a by no means complete list of posts on the topic:
https://forum.tudiabetes.org/search?q=insulin%20prices

@ItsNickDude
I have had no problems posting rising insulin prices that topic has been covered more than once.

1 Like