May trip to Pittsburgh Children's Hospial

Yesterday my mother-in-law, and I took Olivia to Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital for Olivia’s three month endocrinology diabetes appointment. Her appointment was at 12:45 and we left our house at 8:30am. We checked in at 12:30 - only fifteen minutes to spare. We live about three hours away, but there was a lot of construction. The trip went well on all counts. We made it through all the traffic of a big city. The parking garage was full, but we were able to park in a near by garage. We had to walk a block, but at least it wasn’t raining. Olivia behaved super. She was so brave while her blood was being drawn. It hurt, and her eyes welled up with tears, but she didn’t cry. I was so proud of her. She then got to pick out a sticker. She was also excited that she was going to pee in a cup! She did say that “she is a big girl”.

She got her blood pressure checked, and had her weight and height done. She is growing like a weed. So fast that I think she will be taller than her big sister! We then talked with a diabetic educator. We never met with her before (we usually communicate with the same diabetic educator weekly, but today was her day off), but she was really nice and seemed pleased with Olivia’s dose/blood sugar reading chart. We keep track of her readings and write them down on a monthly chart. We talked to her about an episode that happened about a week ago. We tested Olivia at 2:00pm and her number was 95. We then checked her again before dinner - 5:00pm and she was 303. She did not have a lunch that was high protein/fat and the 2:00pm snack was her usual 8g. We also make sure we wash her hands before we check her. I then started to scan the house thinking maybe she stoled some food/candy/etc. Nothing. Everything was in check. I asked the diabetic educator why this would happen. She said that if it wasn’t anything listed above that maybe there was a bubble in the syringe, maybe the site of the injection played a part, or sometimes there is no answer. She said “Sometimes it’s just the nature of the beast!” Diabetes…IT IS A BEAST!!

Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital had it easy when it came to filling Olivia’s perscriptions…My husband is our pharmacist!!

We then met with the dietian because I wanted myself and my mother-in-law (since she watches Olivia and helps manage her diabetes while my husband and I are at work) to fully understand how protein and fat plays a part on blood sugar. We found out that 1/2 of protein and fat begins to break down 4 hours later and that might be the reason why she has had some high readings. It was informational.

It was then time to visit with Dr. Escobar. He is so great with Olivia. He is pleasant, encouraging, knowledgeable, and most of all makes Olivia smile/laugh. She enjoys seeing him and trying to get a peak at his “secret bird”. He reaches in his pocket, acts like he has something in this hands, and then he starts to make a chirping sound as he brings his hands close to her ear. She is filled with amazement when he does this. He was also gracious enough to pose for a picture…

The greatest news is that Olivia's A1C continues to drop. (I call it the "Parent Report Card") 11 something at dx, 10.2 about a month later, 8.2 three months after that, then 7.6, and finally (insert drum roll here)......7.3 They were really happy with that and so was I. Her meter was also only 6 points off! This is great. We rely on that meter being accurate and working properly.

It was a great trip and it seemed to go fast. I think my mother in law appreciated the invite to go along and I’m glad she did. Everyday - we will continue to tame this “beast”!!