Medtronic Announces Mac Compatibility for CareLink® Personal Therapy Management Software for Diabetes

Call the customer support and ask them.

So near, yet, no far?

I have been writing to Medtronic and putting occasional comments about Mac Compatibility on forums for the last three years since I started pumping insulin.

I have been running a virtual PC of my Mac, just to get into the Medtronic CareLink for three years. This works, but it takes up over 20Gbytes of Hard drive space I’d rather use for something else… a Virtual PC just to access a web based system! I ask you!

This news is great … BUT was about us folk in Europe? I live in the UK. I assume that the system needs some kind of approval or licensing for use in the UK. Is this going to happen, or are we old worlders going to be teased only?

(from previous discussions, I learnt that the only reason that Mac’s couldn’t have access was due to medical approvals and licences and the huge costs of getting these, the lack of driver for the USB CareLink device was only a small piece of the jigsaw)

Thanks to Medtronic for all they do, my 722 pump is great and when I replace it I will be looking at the VEO … but please give us CareLink access from Mac’s in Europe, then I can get rid of the awful Windows XP from by MacOS platform and get a big piece of hard drive back.

Can you get a cable locally? Like at Staples or Office Depot? If yes, does anyone know what I should ask for?!
It seems that I read years ago that you could get one locally but I am not sure. Thanks.

Never mind my last request. I just talked to the advanced software help person at MM and they helped me problem solve getting in. And I did not need a cable. If anyone has Mac OS 10.5, there is a glitch having to do with java. I won’t go into it unless someone asks but I have the extension number for them. She said if I had an access problem again to call Adv Software Support instead of going to the regular tech help.
I am going to download the 10.6 OS tomorrow, after I get through one day of playing with the data.
You also have to have the pump very close to the carelink, at least I did, and away from other wireless devices. Including a portable phone. Hoorayyyy!!

I’d love to know what the secret is, Neil, so if you can describe what to do, I’d appreciate it. I’m calling Medtronics today for an answer on the java hang issue with Mac OS X 10.5.8, but if I don’t get through to someone who knows the issue, it’d be good to have the answer. I tried reverting to a previous version of java on my Mac, but no dice… the spinning beach-ball spins forever halfway through the Java Applet loading. Had to force quit Safari each time.

Works great for me , but I am using Snow Leopard.

They suggested I go to Java.com and verify Java is working. Then go to carelink.minimed.com – No issues with my Java config at Java.com but it didn’t work at carelink. If I find a way to make it work with 10.5.8, I’ll post it here.

Nell… If you know something else, please let me know.

Found the solution to this Mac OSX 10.5.8 Java/Carelink problem… Use FireFox instead of Safari. For uploading at least. Then you can view your reports with Safari or just continue using FireFox. I used FireFox 4.01. When you go to https://carelink.minimed.com with Firefox, you’ll probably get an incompatibility message with this…

You have attempted to access the Medtronic CareLink Personal System. Unfortunately, the configuration of your PC or web browser is not compatible with our standard system requirements.

Just blow through it by clicking the "Continue" button and you'll go right to the login page. Then login and proceed as normal. Works. Easy.

ddevine, I am just now seeing this. But here is what I do, per MM advanced tech.

Use Safari (it doesn’t work for me on Firefox, although latest version may work)

GO FIRST TO:

java.com and type in search: “how do I test whether”

Return;

THEN check link at bottom “how do I know if java is working on my computer?” then at the next screen, check that java is working and then type in the address box on that same page

carelink.minimed.com.

That should take you to:

https://carelink.minimed.com/patient/entry

As they say, this works for me. Oh, and I have to do this every time.

Thanks for taking the time, Nell. I went through a similar trial with no luck, so I’m sticking with FireFox. Between these two methods, anyone that hasn’t upgraded to Snow Leopard yet, should be able to upload data.

I’ve been using Firefox with no problems at all. Whereas I had the same problems you did with Safari.

I am not upgrading to Snow Leopard. I am waiting for the next version which is supposed to be out later this summer. I think it is called Tiger but not sure if I remember correctly. Have read about too many glitches with Leopard.