Mother's Day, 2017

The following excerpt was taken from my years’ ago blog called “Early Mother’s Day”:

"I had the damaging autoimmune disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid, from the age of twelve. It seems like yesterday that I was sixteen and overheard my doctor tell my mother that I would be dead or in a wheelchair by the time I was twenty-one years old. I didn’t tell my mother that I’d overheard that conversation, but from that moment forward I made all my own decisions, including all the life-changing ones. I’m sure I was a real handful for my parents! Still they were always supportive. When I visited them in the years to come, Mother always said at some point, “I know what you’ve done!” That statement was meant to convey that her daughter was someone akin to Wonder Woman. I want to hear her say that again today!

I “knew” my mother better than most people “knew” her. When I’d remark on Mom’s wit to her friends, many of them would just stare at me–they just knew Mom to be a serious grade-school teacher. I saw and enjoyed the fact that she would talk seriously for a while, then with a totally dead-pan face, drop a concluding dry witticism. I’d always snort and giggle, and her face would light up for me. Today I need to stop being so overwhelmed and frustrated. Today I need my Mom’s totally unpredictable witticism, so I can snort and giggle again."

Mother’s Day is a nostalgic time for me. I am so lucky to spend today with my husband and some of my wonderful family members. I will also think of my parents and grandparents today, and Hooray! Today is an absolutely beautiful spring day.

3 Likes

Your mom sounds like a gem. What a sense of humor, I love it!

1 Like

That’s a nice memory of your mother, @Trudy1! Her genuine recognition and acknowledgment of your heroic nature was such a nice lifetime gift she gave you. In turn, your recognition of her dead-pan wit, delighted her. Enjoy the day!

1 Like

Thank you so much Trudy for reminding me to think of my childhood time with my mom, and the things that she did that were so special. I am also contemplating being a mom myself and wanting to do the best job I can. I hope you have a very Happy Mother’s Day today. Here we are having our first sunny, blue sky day that we have had in a while so that was a nice addition to have a beautiful morning to enjoy as well. I hope everyone takes time to appreciate mom today.

2 Likes

2 Likes