New Here

I have a unique kind of Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at birth. I underwent a bilateral lung transplant in 2001. My Diabetes progressively got worse after the transplant. We aren’t sure if I have Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes, or Transplant Related Diabetes. Regardless, I am now insulin dependent. I have struggled for the past several years with glucose control. I am very insulin sensitive and finally had it. I am getting a pump! And, a Dexcom! I have my pretty little pink Ping ready to go and will receive my Dexcom today! I will get started on both next week. I am excited to gain more control over this beast, as I have lots of other ongoing health problems. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking/reading for a while now, and I chose my Ping and Dexcom based on some wonderful reviews here. So, thanks!

Hello Heidi,
Good to see you’ve ordered your Ping and Dexcom. I’ve been using pumps for not quite 16 years now, and just got my new Ping a week ago Wednesday. Definitely a good pump especially when you get used to all the details.
Of course I found it a bit simpler since my old 1250 pump is largely the same as the Ping, except for the glucose meter/remote.
Being insulin sensitive is among the better reasons to get a pump, I’m sure. Being able to dose in such small increments makes control a LOT easier to achieve.

Thanks Dave! It was like Christmas when I opened my pretty pink Ping! LOL. I can’t wait to get the Dexcom. The pump put me at my out-of-pocket max, so the Decom and 3 months of sensors was FREE! Well, of course I had to spend a fortune to reach my out-of-pocket, but it made the decision to get it even easier! I will report back next week on my first few days of experience with it. I’m sure i’ll have a ton of questions for all of you experts!

Welcome aboard. I almost went with the ping, although I hadn’t thought about the pink one. I got the omnipod and it only comes in blue, but I believe you can get a pink cover for it.

Anyway, I wish you the very best with your pump and cgm. Let me know what you think of the cgm. I kind of discounted it because I just didn;t want something else stuck to my body. Wish there was a way to have them truly together. Then again, I wish they would find a cure for all the youngsters…and oh yeah, wish I won the lottery too.

I was actually able to check the book out from the library, to see if I wanted to buy it. It’s going on my Christmas list!

Welcome!

I have two nephews with CF. One’s on a waiting list for a lung transplant. I used to whip out my glucose meter to test them when I visited & they now have their own meters.

Diabetes & CF are hard enough on their own to manage individually. Wishing you the best with your new pink toy & CGMS.

How wonderful that one is on the list! If you ever have any questions, just ask! I’ve been through most of it! Do both of them have CFRD? It’s supposedly about 20% of CFers, but once transplant happens, it’s almost inevitable. Thanks for the well wishes.

I was surprised they had it! I live in Las Vegas, and I guess somewhere in the system there was one, and I was able to transfer it in! I do need to buy it though, because I can already see it will be like the “pumping bible”

Thanks for the offer! Am keeping my fingers crossed that Gabe’s transplant is soon. He recently graduated from law school & refused to consider it until he passed the bar. He’s been more ill with CF than his brother & in & out of the hospital so much.

Neither has CFRD, but they know it’s a possibilty so they check BG every so often. Didn’t know that diabetes was pretty much a given with a transplant.

I don’t blame you for driving! We live up near Aliante, way north, not too far from the speedway. We would have loved to have bought in Summerlin or Henderson, but at the time, 2 years ago, it was out of our budget :frowning:
The market here is so bad. It’s sad to see 1/4 of our neighborhood vacant.

Unfortunatley it is. Sometimes, for some post-tx patients, it is avoidable. For me, it was not. For one we are on long-term low-dose prednisone. And, several of the other anti-rejection meds cause high BS. It is a trade off for sure. I don’t know anyone post-transplant that does not deal with some type of Diabetes, however controlled. Prayers with Gabe. Where is he listed?

Thank you so much Judith, this has been a wonderful source of information and unity! I look forward to sharing about my journey with you all as well as gaining information from all of you.

Appreciate the info. Gabe does ton of research so he must be aware of it, but didn’t share this part with me. Maybe he didn’t want to tell me about the real possibility of diabetes. He did tell me that the new anti-rejection drugs are much safer than previous ones. I don’t know where he’s listed, but will find out.

I was happy he made the decision for transplant because his doctors have been urging him to do this for years. Gabe was quite ill recently & in the hospital for over a month. Fortunately, he called 911 before he passed out & was found unconscious, completely unresponsive. He’s had a feeding tube for a while now that’s helped him gain needed weight. His brother, who’s never taken as good care of himself, ironically is healthier & stronger. Don’t have to tell you how CF is different for everyone. It’s like diabetes in this regard.