New Here

Hello everyone,

I was given this Forum Link from a nurse who works at the Dialysis Unit I go to… I took a look around the other night and joined up.

My name is Chris, I am 30 years old and have had Type I Diabetes for almost 15 years now. I currently live on Long Island “NY” and live with family. My mother and 2 younger brothers live in Pa. I have a 8 year old niece. I don’t work right now, I have been to sick over the last few years to work but plan to try and get a part time job in the Spring.

I lived in Ga for almost 11 years, but I started to get sick back in 2001 and ended up moving back to Long Island and living with my grandparents. That has been the best choice I have made in my life moving back to LI with them. I was born here but we moved down South when I was 10. As much as I hate to say it the Southern States sucked back then when it came to medical. My diabetes did some really bad damage to a lot of my body caused a lot of nerve damage and the doctors I had failed to diagnose me with any of the bad Neuropathy’s that I ended up getting through the 10 years I was down in GA.

I moved to Long Island, saw some doctors and they quickly had me diagnosed with many issues and problems. It has been a rough couple of years but I am finally back on the road to getting better. I was diagnose with Renal Failure back in March so I have been going to Dialysis for almost 100 months. I must say I have really been doing and feeling so much better since going on Dialysis. I am currently working on getting on the Transplant list. And I have family and friends lined up to get tested to see if they are a match with me…

I am looking forward to meeting new friends and sharing life experiences growing up with Type I Diabetes…

Chris

hi Chris,
welcome to the site, I’m sure you’re going to love it. I’m from South Africa, had diabetes for about 15 years also type 1. I have a 15 year old Down Syndrome daughter, Tayla. Chat soon, stay well. D

Hi Chris,

Glad you joined–welcome!

I grew up in NYC (Queens) & lived in Atlanta for almost 10 years. Now, I’m in VA.

Hello Chris =) Welcome! Living in Oklahoma for 8 years, presently in Manila for the holidays.The community is a perfect place to meet friends touched by diabetes. Happy to see you here.

Welcome. I’m glad you joined us.