New infusion set targets 'silent occlusions'

That’s either a really big, honkin’ box or Animas is overcharging.

While trying to find this stuff on amazon.com can involve a lot of running about trying to find the best price + shipping from the sundry sellers, I did find a currect offer for a box of 100 Smith-Nephew IV 3000 #4007 for ~$35 (shipped). That price may have changed by the time you look at it. That’s just how amazon’s marketplace sellers seem to work. (They seem to take this whole Adam Smith marketplace thing crazy serious).

I personally prefer the Tegaderm simply because it’s usually a few bucks cheaper …
Or you could also go with the OpSite Flexifix. It comes in a roll so you only have to use what you need to work for you.

I am not trying to recommend any of the above. Just trying to point out that unless your insurance is covering all or most of the cost, there might be other ways to go.

Animas just had a price increase, as confirmed by the supply dept. Insets are now $145 per box, which makes me glad I dont use those! Thanks much for the prices and other info. If I can make this last and work, I still have 97 left to go!

BD has teamed up with Medtronic to bring this new infusion set to market. This was just announced (June 8, 2015) at the ADA Scientific Sessions in Boston. In the press release, Medtronic said the effort will produce these improved infusion sets for Medtronic as well as other pumps. Look for availability in 2016.

1 Like

Anyone heard anymore or seen these yet? My CDE and I want samples! (bad!)

I just did a Google search on “BD Flowsmart” and the latest hits were around the date of the press release. Since the press release said these would be available in 2016, I think we’ll have to wait at least six more months. I’m interested in using these new sets, too. At least the FDA has signed off and all we’re waiting for is for manufacturing to spool up.

1 Like

I’ll be waiting eagerly!

Terry, do you know if they’re going to be plastic cannula insets or will they have stainless steel needles? I’m switching to stainless steel due to plastic cannula issues.

1 Like

meee - I believe that these new sets will have plastic cannulas. I did find one study that compared this new set with a a Quickset (plastic) and a Rapid-D set (steel). The Rapid-D had similar desirable results as the new improved BD set.

1 Like

Thanks Terrry, I’m using contact detach and so far they’re not giving me the issues the plastic ones have.

Identical to the Sure-T which is the ONLY set I will use, knowing all the other MM sets out there. Unomedical makes the CD in a Luer lock style of course, whereas the “Sure-T” is the set made for MM’s proprietary reservoirs.

1 Like

Here’s some facts about the new infusion product. It will have an insertion device, will come in 6mm, the insertion needle will be 30g, the angle will be 90 degrees, the plastic cannula will be 28g (the smallest of any available now!), and tubing length will be 61 and 107mm, and will only be available by prescription.

This is one 90 degree set I would be willing to try…thanks for the info!

I almost never get an occlusion alarm on my T-Slim pump. I’m thinking there must be times where the cannula is a little blocked thus causing this silent occlusion phenomena. I really can’t wait for this new BD set. I just hope I like it as much as I like my current Inset infusion set (6mm/23" 90deg).

Thanks for posting!

OK, 61 and 107mm are 6.1 and 10.7 cm. An inch is 2.54 centimeters so this is the same as saying the tubing lengths are 2.4" and 4.2" which is … unexpected.

Perhaps it was meant to read 61 & 107 cm? That would equate to about 24" and 42" which seems more consistent with what I think is currently available in other sets.

1 Like

i’ve been using the minimed silhouette for the past 14 years. medium sized canula, relatively short infusion needle. in all these years, i have had only about 5 “no delivery” alarms; and, when i call up the company they replace them immediately. i have not experienced any leakage at all. i change my site every other day. if i am seeing a rise in my BG for no seemingly explainable reason, the first thing i do is change my infusion site. after that, i will give myself a correction bolus. if that doesnt help w/in 2 hours, i give myself a shot. i want to find out if my insulin is “good” or not. my pump will show IOB, but i never know whether to take that into account b/c while i might have had the dud site in during my correction bolus, the IOB will not reflect what is accurately in my body. its tricky, but just take it one small step at a time.

Since 1978, I think i MAY have had one bottle of insulin that was weak. I’m really not sure about that one, either. Unless you leave it in a hot car, insulin failure should be super-rare.

I had a bottle go bad when I moved my bedroom upstairs in my house (was much hotter in summer up there) and I kept my insulin in bedroom. While it was downstairs room temp was fine but upstairs bedroom would kick mid 90’s in summer and I was getting unexplained high’s… Figured it out pretty quick and started keeping it refigerated has not happened since.

Had the same problem a few summers back when I was first getting acclimated to a pump. They say you can safely leave the stuff out at room temp for like 30 days–which I’d remembered from back when I used to use syringes–but you really can push that “room temp” qualification too far. Caused me a lot of problems though I eventually figured it out.

Yes, “room temp” doesn’t mean over 90 degrees. :slight_smile:

Bump… Anyone have any updates on the BD Flowsmart infusion set? I don’t see much of anything on google.

Thanks!

1 Like