New IOS update appears to require Dexom App update

Hi All,

I downloaded an IOS update on my iPhone 5S yesterday, and now when I try to enter my blood sugar reading into the Dexcom app, the keyboard won’t retract so that I can press the green button to finish the update. I’ve managed to work around it by tricking it a couple of times into allowing me to press the button (updating my blood sugar), but my tricks work inconsistently and take a lot of time.

I’m guessing I need to update my Dexcom app to fix the problem, but I haven’t done an update since before the update that doesn’t allow you to mute the urgent low glucose alarms. I’m selective with which coworkers I choose to discuss my diabetes, and I’m not eager to have to apologize for alarms going off in the middle of a meeting. Even if I’m in range most of the time, I’m bound to have an inconvenient urgent low glucose alarm go off. I work in a very professional setting (which I highly value and for which I am well paid), and I really, really don’t want to have to share the management of my diabetes with coworkers - it’s literally my own personal nightmare.

If I’m forced to update, then I might just abandon using the Dexcom altogether. Which is so annoying because it’s been a huge asset both at home and at work.

Has anyone found a work around to mute the alarms? Also, why the heck is Dexcom trying to make our lives so difficult? Has anyone gotten any feedback from the company about this? Is there any possibility of them changing this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

wait a second. You are diabetic, right? You find the Dexcom a “huge asset”, right?

YET…you want to abandon using the Dexcom altogether??

BECAUSE…wait for it…it isn’t working with your iPhone?

Am I missing something? Why can’t you use a receiver? Or is the use of your phone for CGM more important than the CGM itself?

Sort of sounds like biting one’s nose to spite your face.

I recommend that you call Dexcom technical support, they’re available 24/7, and discuss your situation. I suspect that they might help you regain your quiet status with regard to system alarms. I thought the 55 alarm was not mutable except in a phone running the app with a headset connected to the audio jack.

I understand the value you place on not sharing your diabetes with your colleagues. This is a decision everyone must make and there is no right or wrong answer.

I’m curious. Are you using the Dexcom G5? What iOS does your iPhone now use?

Good luck and please report back what you learn.

Use the Dexcom receiver instead of the iPhone. You can turn off all alarms except urgent low, and you can cover the speaker with duct tape and it muffles it pretty well.

Dexcom isn’t trying to make life difficult. They have to play within a very restrictive set of rules. They have FDA requirements to deal with, and Apple’s phone app requirements. Not a lot of wiggle room for them on either side.

So professionals can’t be diabetic?? Better tell that to my current endo, and the one before that. That’s remarkable to me that you would forego using the Dexcom if it “outted” you to coworkers. SMH.

Thanks for the response Terry4. I’m using Dexcom G5 and IOS 11.1.2. The audio jack idea is a really great idea. That’s definitely a solution I could work with.

1 Like

U could cut the cord of an audio plug.

Thanks for the respectful response Eddie2. Using the receiver is definitely better than not using the Dexcom at all. I’ve misplaced my receiver (I haven’t used it in quite awhile), but I obviously need to find it so that it’s available for circumstances such as this. Terry’s suggestion of using an audio jack may work out best for me. It’s nice to not have to carry an additional device around with me. I honestly should’ve thought of the receiver first, I guess I didn’t think about it because I haven’t used it in awhile.

I know that Dexcom allowed the mute a couple of years ago, and I wish that they would’ve pressed harder to keep that option. I’d essentially be muting it with the receiver anyway, so I don’t see why the FDA requires that the mute can’t be used on only the phone.

1 Like

Oh, wait. I see. You said that you still can’t mute it with the receiver- you’d just have to tape over it. I suppose there’s at least consistency in FDA requirements there.

Oh well, I guess I’ll stick with the audio jack.

As a side note on this topic.

You know how the receiver has a BG range of 50-400 and is not adjustable, but the phone app lets you adjust the BG range?

Because the receiver is a prescription item and the phone is not, the FDA did not let them make the BG range adjustable on the receiver.

I discussed this with Dexcom. Dexcom would like to let you adjust the BG range on the receiver, but the FDA said “No”!

Anyway, my gripe is always more with the FDA than the companies that make the stuff. Same with pump companies.

I used it on my iPad and I had to put an earphone in to mute. On your phone you should be able to mute in sounds.

Not sure why karers87 is relying on iphone over receiver but based on my female experiences, there is not always a good place to put the receiver, since frequently, pockets are not always available for us. So that may be the reason for relying on the Iphone for readings. I have had the same experience, as kaers87 and understand what he/she may be dealing with. Just saying…

Yeah. Thanks jc16. It is mostly for convenience reasons (not carrying around/charging two devices). Based on other user’s posts, muting the urgent low glucose alarm can’t be done on the receiver anyway, so I think Dave44’s point is moot.

I also like how you can turn your iphone screen sideways and track your blood sugar value over the last 24 hours (point by point). On the receiver, I think you can only see the trend and your current blood sugar value. I also like how easy it is to adjust the length of time seen on the screen (e.g. 12 vs 24 hours). I see lots of side benefits of using the phone.