New t:connect mobile app?

Does anyone know more about when the new t:connect mobile app is arriving? I know tandem had promised remote bolus capabilities using the app on the new version, but I have not heard when that is scheduled to arrive.

I’m not a hundred percent sure the new app and mobile bolus are 100% intertwined. Tandem is talking about them as if they’re separate things. The mobile bolus feature at least was submitted for FDA approval at the end of last year, and largely ignored until recently because the FDA is all wrapped up with Covid stuff. They just recently were able to enter the discussion phase with the FDA, where they asked for more information to be submitted. So we’re looking at the end of the year now. New app is being talked about in next year’s pipeline, but maybe that’s just for the global launch and it will come to the US faster after the mobile bolus is approved?

1 Like

It won’t be as easy as you might think.
We will need prescriptions, and training before we will be allowed to get it.
Just like the switch from BIQ to CIQ.
I’m sure they will allow t2 pumps that are still within warranty.
So they can have it tested a while before the tsport is released.
I’m thinking we won’t see the new ap till Jan 22 at the earliest.

If you call and tell them you want the tsport as your next pump because it’s time to replace yours, they will offer to sell you a t2 with a free upgrade next year when the tsport comes out.

So that pretty much tells us that it’s not coming out this year.

Have you actually had this conversation yourself, or did you hear/read this somewhere? I’d like to find more info on this, if it’s true, because it’s very exciting to me!.

I haven’t spoken to the renewals department since May, but at that time they had absolutely ZERO guidance regarding T:sport. I was told the best I could do was not make any commitment yet at all, but not to worry, because I would still be covered in case something catastrophic happened to my pump in the meantime. I would just have to renew my X2 at that time, and they would ship me an overnight loaner while my paperwork was processed. They were kind enough to promise to stop calling me until next year. LOL

I like that with the rate this tech is evolving, it would essentially shorten my warranty on the T:sport for however long I used the new T:slim. (I assume??). It would put me a year ahead on my next pump decision, than if I just held out until '22. (I might be a little obcessed with D-tech)

Their latest investor-baiting presentation did say to expect mobile bolus the last quarter of this year, and global rollout of the new app would happen next year. It was really unclear if they were talking about two different items, or different timelines for the same thing. I’ve gotten the impression, though, that the mobile bolus feature is NOT limited to the new app, though. (I’m signed up to be a t: connect beta tester, but you’re probably right that mobile bolus won’t be added that easily without a prescription) And T:sport won’t be filed until after mobile bolus is released, because they think getting people accustomed to controlling a pump from your phone first is really important to the successful reception if T:sport.

https://kvgo.com/ubs-genomics-summit/tandem-diabetes-august-2021

I just enter my real name, and make up a company/job title to login to these things.

I had this conversation, I told them I was just coming off Medtronic pump warranty looking for patch pump. That was what I was told.

1 Like

On a related note, has Tandem ever discussed an Apple Watch app? When I was looping, I found the ability to bolus from my watch incredibly convenient (if that would be possible). At the least, being able to view pump data on the Watch would be great.

I have my data available. You need to get sugarmate tho and set it up.
There is no remote bolus possible on tandem.

Yes, I’m familiar with sugarmate and other methods of displaying Dexcom data on the Apple Watch. And I know remote boluses aren’t available/capable, just was curious if tandem had plans for an Apple Watch version of the t:connect app.

Im using the t:connect app (andriod) now with my pump. Cant bolus from it though.

I just got off the phone with the renewals department, and was told that this isn’t true. That they still haven’t been told much of anything at all regarding T:sport, let alone been given sales contracts regarding it.

She did say that when they introduced the X2 (add opposed you the original T:slim), they gave every in-warranty user the opportunity to upgrade for a fee, and within the department they expect the same will happen again with the T:sport… But that didn’t come down from any of the “higher ups”, it’s pure speculation.

I don’t know if the initial sales people have more power of enticement to “sweeten the pot” or if it was a misunderstanding, but as an existing customer I don’t have this option yet. Bummer!

We might be seeing sales people attempting to guess what will happen. I wasn’t ready for a new pump anyway, but generally when you ask and then tell them no. They offer something better.
Now as it comes down to written word, it’s very different.
They offered a free upgrade from biq to ciq. But I never got that in writing.

I ended up just getting the ciq in the end anyway

They’ve openly stated that they’re using free software updates as a means of coercion. It sounds as if they always intend to offer free software updates to in-warranty customers, because they have a “problem” in their statistics with people running their pumps out of warranty for 1-2 years. They’re like ghosts in the revenue statistics, you can’t see them. And it makes it look like existing users aren’t staying with Tandem. Since the mobile bolus update is the single most requested feature, they think everyone out-of-warranty will fall over to renew, so they’re eligible again for the update. (Personally, it’s going to be a struggle to avoid that temptation!) It’s the same thing they said with all previous updates. There is zero intention at all to make paid software updates available to out of warranty users.

I doubt they’ll be so forthcoming with free hardware upgrades, though. I don’t expect to see any mention of free T:sport upgrades until their quarterly sales crash in anticipation of the new model. They’re still growing 40% quarter over quarter, so there’s no incentive for them to offer freebies yet

I have never seen/heard a specific mention of an Apple Watch app, especially one related to mobile bolusing. Not yet. But I think it’s a given that something like this would be a future project. They’re really good at implementing user feedback. If enough people ask for it, it will come.

When they talk about their pipeline projects, all the things they’ve been discussing for the last 4 years will have been cleared and put into effect by the end of 2022. (Basal-IQ, Control-IQ, T: connect app, Control-IQ updates, mobile bolus and new app, the Tandem Source data system, integration with Freestyle Libre, Type 2 indication, etc…). There’s going to be new pipeline projects, besides continued Contol-IQ updates, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if watch apps are on the horizon. Given that the mobile bolus feature is such a groundbreaking move, which they’re already having trouble clearing through the FDA, it makes sense for them to take baby steps with the bonus add-ons. Their software development teams are gonna need something to work on, though!