So... the Tandem t:connect app

I’ve been using Dexcom for several years now and am comfortable with the g7 app and clarity. Both work well for me though each has a few minor annoyances.

I switched to a tandem x2 c-iq a year ago and tried the app but wasn’t impressed. I check the app store every so often to see if reviews have improved but I still see a ton of 1 stars.

What has been your experience with the app. Good, bad or never bothered?

Does it add any value? I’ve been getting by just fine with Dexcom clarity and regular uploads from my tandem. Do I really need the app?

I’d appreciate your thoughts

You will need it if you switch to the Mobi. But also I like being able to bolus from my phone so I can leave my pump in my pocket

1 Like

That’s good to know. The Mobi is really nice.

I’m on android and maybe it’s only the android app with the poor reviews. Most reviewers cite signal dropouts. Have you had any experience with that?

I’m an iPhone user, so can’t comment on Android app, but I would give t: connect a 5 star review. It displays the last 24 hours of basal and bolus information more clearly and succinctly than the pump does. On the pump you have to navigate several screens to see what size automatic correction boluses CIQ gave you. On the app, it’s right there along with little bars showing basal levels.
Plus, it’s fun to bolus from the phone. But, for me, the big advantage is the display of CGM info alongside pump info. Clarity just shows CGM info, though it’s useful for evaluating how well you’re doing over time. T-connect just shows the last 24 hours.

2 Likes

I find it very useful, yes. Being able to bolus from my phone is super-convenient at times. You can’t do an extended bolus, so that’s a bit of a downside, but not huge. I also like that it displays auto-correction boluses in a distinctive way. And I haven’t had ANY problems with dropouts. The BT connection between transmitter and pump is relatively dropout prone but I haven’t noticed that with T-Connect. I’m using a G6 still, so that may be a factor. The pursuit of miniaturization bumps up against performance with these things I suspect.

So, Mobi has it’s own app. It doesn’t use T:connect. Haven’t used it myself yet (I’m still hoping for a better DME choice), but it seems to work much better than the T: connect app even though they look similar.

I’ve hardly ever bothered with T:connect personally for my T:slim. I didn’t have a compatible phone for a long time, so mobile bolus wasn’t an option. And now that I have a compatible phone (S21+), the mobile bolus still has never worked. It glitches every single time. (Mobile bolus DOES work on the iPhone I got to control Mobi, just not my supposedly supported Samsung.) My doctor doesn’t look at my pump data, so no need to upload. And there really isn’t any better info in the app than I can get from the pump itself or my preferred CGM app, Xdrip.

For most people, the automatic data upload is probably the biggest advantage. My doctor doesn’t know a thing about the pump, though, and she’s just happy to support me so long as I can self-message well. It’s an arrangement that makes me very happy.

I would absolutely change my opinion on T: connect if/when they add full pump control to it. So long as I still have to get my pump out to bolus, clear alerts, turn on activity modes, change settings, etc… I find the app pretty much useless and just needlessly drains battery. If I couldn’t turn off notifications, the app would actually infuriate me. Alarm fatigue is already an issue without having to kill them in multiple places.

I do have it on my phone but it’s deep sleeping. If I ever needed to call tech support, I would upload pump data first.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up alarm fatigue because I never even thought about that angle. That right there is enough to put me off.

A few of the reviews mentioned the switch from g6 to g7 was a bit of an issue for transmitter to pump connection. It certainly was for me.

With g6 I rarely had signal loss. After switching to g7 it increased, but I think it was due to the change in placement of the sensor. i put the g6 on my abdomen, but the g7 requirements were specific to the back of the arm. The agent said that was how the testing was conducted.

After a month of dropouts and torn off sensors Dexcom told me to go back to the abdomen if my endo approved it. Back to normal now.

That makes me really jealous

Srsly? That sucks. I’ve never had a single glitch on iPhone. Really curious why it should be a problem with the other major platform.

Honestly, I kinda hate this phone. I have a lot of weird network issues. I’ve never seen anyone else on Android complain about this, so I think mine just has some gremlins.

I confirm the bolus and scan my fingerprint, it says authorized, at which point it’s supposed to return to the dashboard and show the bolus progress… But it never actually does that. It just sits on the “Deliver units?” screen with the blue drop (which I already authorized!) and freezes. Eventually I have to force kill the app. So I gave up trying. I use extended boluses a lot anyway, so I don’t think I would use that feature much anyway, even if I could.

1 Like

The first time I tried the app (iPhone 7), it just drained the battery too fast and I deleted it. Fast forward a few years and with an iPhone SE 3rd gen, the app is v. good. It is not a necessity, but dosing via the phone is convenient.

The alarm issue that bugs me is that you can “dismiss” alarms from the phone app, but until you also dismiss them on the pump they will continue repeating every 5 minutes. Given that the low battery alarm goes off when I still have 1.5 to 2 days of lifetime on the battery, repeating the alert every five minutes seems excessive. And saying that you can wear the pump under clothes only to discover that you need to pull the pump out to dismiss a recurring, very low priority alarm, seems ridiculous.

I did have a recent issue with the iOS app (t:slim battery life) that killed my pump battery life even though I am using the version of the app that supposedly fixed this problem.