Ping opinions, please

Thanks Ernie, it certainly does help.

I went with the Animas after giving both the Ping and the Minimed a trial for a few days. I didnt like the look/feel of the minimed from the second I got it. To me it just “looked” like an outdated machine. If you need the larger resevoir I would go with the minimed but for me that wasn’t necessary. I like the fact that the Ping is waterproof even though I try not to take it in the water. I heard there are extra button pushes when using the Ping but that is all transparent to me. The post about having to “dial” in the amount of bolus for a meal is because medtronic holds the patent for the technology that would input that info directly. That was one of the first questions that I asked my Animas rep. The medtronic rep was awesome but I had serious issues with Animas on several occasions. In fact, just last week I contacted some VP and he was very appologetic to the runaround that I received. In the end, both units will serve you well. Also, take a look at the different infusion sets and see which you prefer. The Animas rep told me I would LOVE the inset 30 because I am thin. Guess what, I hated it and would never use it again. I use the 6mm - 43" inset and it works very well for me.

Hey Mike

Thank you for your input. Currently I wear the MM Quikset w/43" tubing. I assume it wouldn’t take anytime to adjust to the Inset since it appears to be the same design. I would not like the 30 either. Anything that goes in at an angle has always pinched or bothered me. Also, at this point in my life, insulin capacity is not an issue.

Thanks again!
Rose

Ernie- I know a guy who goes through quite a bit of insulin who decided on a Ping. Instead of changing the whole set and cartridge every 2 days he just changes the cartridge every 1.5 days and keeps the infusion set on for 3. But whatever works!

I was a MM person for quite a while. While many people have hit on some cool features my main selling point for Animas would have to be the customer service which includes the reps and the 1-8xx number. Everything with MM seemed to be so high pressure (literally 20 phone calls when my warranty was up) with MM. I have seen the MM reps do some seriously shady things. I have never felt that way with Animas.

Yeah my doc said he would have to go six screens to get the information that he needed… Oh boo!!!

Ping is the only way to fly. I think you will like the Ping very much. I have had mine for 2.5 years. Meter/Remote is great with food database you can edit. Dexcom sensors (CGM) have been much better than MM. I had 5 of 5 MM sensors fail on start because they filled with blood and according to my Endo’s CDE and the MM rep meant they were toast. Have been wearing a Dexcom 7+ for 1.5 years. I have had a couple of sensors fail but they were replaced in three days at no cost.

Very encouraging, thank you! My DEX will arrive in the next 2 days (can’t wait to compare it to the old MM). Then on May 10th, yes, I’m counting the days, I have decided to order the PING. Woo Hoo! You’ve all been so helpful. I don’t think you get enough information just from reading the companie’s advertising, etc. Thank you!

I love mine. The reasons are (1) I like having the remote option – gives me discretion during business meetings (people think I’m just rudely texting or something) (2) love that is water proof - I like to swim and I have a terrible tendency to end up in down pours on golf courses (don’t ask me how that happens – it just does) (3) Animas support has been outstanding even for the silliest of questions (like when I got the batter cap stuck).

i just when out the new mm and cgms . have better control

For those who want to cancel a combo bolus from the remote - you can do this. Just go to bolus, combo bolus and it should show you the combo bolus in progress. Arrow up to “cancel” and it will cancel the combo bolus. :slight_smile:

About site changes vs. cartridge changes, J is a teen boy, so we go through a LOT of insulin. Right now I’m changing cartridges almost every other day. We just change cartridge as needed and change site every 4 days.

My new Ping is coming next Wednesday!! I am soooo exctied!! I qualified for a 30% discount on my supplies as well. I am just so thrilled. I cannot wait to get this new pump. I love my CozMore pump and will be sad to see it go, but to try this new pump with a 2 year warranty for what ends up costing me $200…what an opportunity. Woo Hoo!!

Congratulations Sue! I can’t wait to hear how you like it once you’ve had a chance to ‘test drive’.

Donna, your luck (rain) sounds like mine. Ha ha!! On our trip to Hawaii we had 6 inches of rain, rock slides that blocked the road to and from the airport to hotels and we ran down 5 flights of stairs, me in a dead sleep, only to find out a contractor had set off the fire alarms. Before that, our hotel in the FL Keys DID catch fire!!! Anyhoo, I’m glad your pump has survived its many soakings. It sounds like a good choice.

Hey, thanks Kim!

I’ve had the Deltec Cozmo and for a year now the Ping. I use the combo & didn’t realize at first if I give a combo & then suspend my pump I have to reenter the 2nd half of combo. And I really can’t believe how much insulin is left in cartridge AFTER it says it is empty. In fact I have used the “empty cartridge” for a bolus or two! I’m not thrilled with it BUT it was MUCH less than the Medtronic & cost was a factor. Also miss the missed bolus alarm. That was a GREAT feature! Susie

I got the waiver of my 20% portion of the pump and the 30% discount on supplies as well, Sue, which was an unexpected surprise. Now I will wait to get my first bill to make sure they really do subtract the 80% my insurance covers and then the extra 30% of the remainder. It’s weird not to see what you’re paying for something ahead of time. Fortunately (or unfortunately the Animas person reminded me I had to fulfill my $500 deductable before the insurance kicks in. It’s amazing how I forget about the deductable each year…lol

I have posted before. The pump itself is pretty decent but the software is horrible and it does strange things. I have used the MiniMed for 8 years and was happy with it but my Endo refused to order one for me, insisting on the MM. I am not a happy camper and my Endo threw me out of her practice because she wouldn’t give me a reason for her refusal and I pushed back too hard. My new ENdo doesn’t understand why I couldn’t get a MM. I can think of only a few reasons.

But, the bottom line is that I liked the MiniMed better than the Ping. And the DexCom is great!!

Jeff

Sounds like a doctor might be getting special treatment for putting there patients on a particular type of pump. My doctor told me she did not care which pump I chose and she was more than willing to get trained on the pump I chose.

I agree. It is one thing if a doctor leans toward one pump for personal reasons, but when their patient has a pump and wants to continue using it, or even wants a pump for whatever reason, a doctor should not insist they will only order a certain brand. I would be looking for another doctor!