Pump site bleeding

Does anyone get bleeding when they remove their infusion sets?

From the time I started pumping 12 years ago, I have seen bleeding from my infusion sites perhaps once every month or two. When I remove the set, the site starts to bleed profusely and makes quite a mess.I assume I have hit a minor blood vessel.

This has changed in the past month. Now, I get bleeding almost every time I remove a set. This morning, as I inserted my CGM, I got a gusher.

Besides the annoying mess, I am concerned with the increased frequency. Could this be a sign of damage to the underlying tissue?

I get it maybe once or twice a year. It happens for me because I slept on my site. (Pressed my body weight onto my infusion port). It didn’t take long for me to become aware of WHERE I should put my sites to avoid sleeping on them. What might help is reminding yourself before you go to sleep of where your site is located. A few days of that and I’m aware of where it is subliminally.

1 Like

Sometimes, like this morning, significant bleeding is happening while inserting the needle in a new site.

I’ve never had bleeding because of the initial insertion…yet.

I don’t have much to offer on avoiding this bleeding but I do have a great tactic to avoid making a mess. Prior to learning this trick, I always spent a frantic several seconds trying to grab a tissue to help stop the blood from staining clothes.

What I do now is quickly place on fingertip onto the site and hold pressure for a minute or two. Works every time for me and my fingers are much more available than that piece of paper tissue that always seems to be hiding.

I have had bleeding on occasion. Sometimes it gushes out. Once or twice it even spurted out. But it usually happens in the same area so I have learned where to avoid. It’s not from sleeping on them. And it does not happen frequently.

It happens sometimes and like Terry, I always have tissues when doing a site change as I use it to clean new site and I use it to clean old site. I always use hibiclens to clean skin before and after. And been pumping since 1990 and I’ve never had an infection, I think due to cleaning I do before and after. But when those gushers happen, I always have tissues around and ready when it happens. Never really noticed when it happens is due to where it was at. Really no ryhmyor reason to them.