Should type 1s get a third Pfizer shot?

This antibody test seems rational to me. Is there a reason why public health advice does not include this check and instead counsels for the booster without regard to antibodies?

Is it possible that some people, over time, lose the presence of antibodies yet their B- and T-cell functions are fully capable of action if the need presents itself?

Like you, I’d rather not take a booster if my antibodies to the spike-proteins induced by the first two vaccinations (mRNA) are still high and protective.

Antibody tests are very very much the new kid on the block.

From a public health standpoint it is far cheaper to just administer a booster shot (a few $) than to run an antibody test (lotsa money).

The idea is to delivery a booster BEFORE your antibodies start declining. Not after they start declining.

I absolutely concur. The test for antibodies is $119
It’s much cheaper to just give the third shot.
Especially if it’s been determined that most people have decreased immunity at a certain time away from the vaccine.
So insurance companies are not going to want to pay for that for everyone.

That’s the idea. The T cells kick in to help the B cells generate antibodies, a process that can take a day or two, and it’s possible that therein lies some concern. This is too much for me to really make heads or tales of, I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I am not an expert. Just passing along what I’ve heard.

No, they are not.

This may well be true.

Everyone’s levels will differ based on general immunity; age; vaccine; and other factors. I guess it’s better to boost before they start declining, but with mine fairly high, and the option being to receive the exact same vaccine, I’m opting to postpone. For now.

You should be able to find one somewhat less expensive than that, but they are not free that is correct. Someone posted a link upthread saying don’t get the test because it can give people a false sense of confidence or make others depressed and feel hopeless if antibodies have waned. Maybe not everyone should or would get it, but hey - at least let us see all the data from all the vaccines on just how much abs are waning and in which age group etc.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I want.

I’ve also read that the U.S. decision to maintain the same dose regimen as in the trials has backfired a bit. People who had 2-3 months between vaccines (eg UK) have better protection.

I’m expecting I’ll get the virus eventually. I’m just hoping that by then we have better, more proactive treatment options available and that the virus has mutated into a version that is less deadly (even if just as contagious). Hopefully hospitals won’t be full at that point too.

I’m very grateful that my immune system has now been exposed via vaccine and should be able to fight the virus more easily. I’d like to expose it a little more (via vaccine) to enhance that protection.

It’s quite possible you have already been exposed to it.
You may have not noticed because you are vaccinated.
I got Covid 19 back in March of 2020. It was before anyone knew it was here. I was a little sick. I had a fever.
I tested positive for antibodies in April 2020.

I was vaccinated w Moderna April 2021 and had my antibodies checked at the same time.
I had no antibodies at that time.

So with our immune systems waning immunity, and the fact that the virus is mutating so fast, we can’t be sure we will actually be protected for very long.

I really hope they are reformulating these vaccines to handle the mutations, the way they do for influenza every year.

I’ve heard that the treatments are pretty good now, Katers…especially if vaccinated. They have special treatments they are administering for us, and anyone who has complicating conditions. They say that they are very effective.

I’m pretty sure that they would give this to any of us that developed Covid-19 at this point - at least in MN that’s the protocol, I think. But I think its national. What Is Monoclonal Antibody Therapy & Who Is Eligible to Receive It? | Houston Methodist On Health

That’s cool. I didn’t realize it could be used preventatively.

“More recently, the FDA extended the potential application of monoclonal antibody therapy for preventive use in those at risk due to a confirmed exposure to the virus. The authorization was based on the results of a large clinical trial that found the antibodies prevented symptoms in household contacts of people who recently tested positive. The FDA stressed that the therapy is not a substitute for vaccination, however.”

I wonder how you get access to them? Does every PCP have one on their shelf?

Here’s an eligibility chart from the US Health and Human Services website:

This table tells me that anyone with symptoms who test positive for Covid-19 and is diabetic is eligible for monoclonal antibody infusions. Note that being over age 65 provides that eligibility itself. The important variable is that this treatment must be done within 10 days of first symptoms. If you delay beyond that 10-day limit and end up in the hospital, monoclonal antibody therapy is no longer effective.

This HHS webpage contains a “Find an infusion location” button.

3 Likes

I just read an article about mixing vaccines and that it gives stronger immunity.

I had Moderna, so for my third shot I think I want the Pfizer one.
I don’t know if they will actually give it to me.

My scheduled third shot is I. December. Maybe it will be settled by then
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

2 Likes

I think that treatment is widely available in the ER, at least. They are short on covid tests, though. But I bet they prioritize the ER to be stocked with them.

By the time someone reaches the ER, they’re almost always beyond that critical 10-days since first symptoms limit.

1 Like

I’d like to have a treatment like we have for colds and flus where you can take it at home.

It sounds like I’d need to go get a test and then get ahold of my PCP and convince him to give me a prescription for these antibodies, and then I’d have to go to the infusion center place (maybe make an appointment?) and get the infusion.

Maybe I could get that within 10 days? But it’s certainly not the same as all the at-home treatments we have for colds or flus. I want those kinds of treatments available for COVID.

I think most of what eats up that 10-day period is the person failing to observe and detect early symptoms. If you have a working relationship with a primary care doctor, you should be able to get an immediate response which includes a PCR test. If positive, then a second request to the doctor would be a request for the infusion order.

I agree that this reality will slow most patients but I do think that someone who is watching for Covid symptoms should have plenty of time to get that process in gear in order to meet the 10-day limit.

While researching this info for me, I discovered that the monoclonal antibody treatment is usually given as a one-hour infusion session but is also given as a single subcutaneous injection. I understand that the infusion is more effective and desirable but I’m uncertain what situations would respond well to just an injection.

I believe that I was likely exposed last weekend while attending a backyard wedding for my daughter. There were about 40 people in attendance, almost all of which were vaccinated, but no one was wearing masks, including me. I felt conflicted but what could I otherwise do short of not showing up?

With the discovery that even vaccinated people can transmit the delta covid-19 variant, I was not as confident as to my ability to shield myself from this virus under the current situation.

I am closely tracking my oxygenation with a fingertip pulse-ox meter as one of my early warning symptoms. The other early warning indicator that I expect to appear, if infected, will be a significant increase in my insulin resistance along with higher BGs and worsening control. I’m three days out and my oxygenation and blood sugar levels are nominal.

2 Likes

Hopefully being outside protected you from infection.

Congratulations to your daughter!!

Yes, I agree. I was implicitly including that delay in my statement, but maybe I should have been more clear. I have not had any reason to cultivate a relationship with my PCP. I’m not really sure what his response would be to my request or how quickly all of that would work. Hopefully it would be quick.

Hopefully you continue to not show any signs of infection.

1 Like

Perhaps this situation might provide a good reason to initiate contact with that doctor’s office. I can’t help but think that any doctor, even one with a tenuous relationship with a patient, would understand the time constraints. Or perhaps your diabetes doctor would willingly help you.

I’m relatively young in my thirties with a non- diabetic A1c. I’m fully vaccinated. If I got the virus, I’d probably have mild symptoms.

Regardless, I’ve changed my behavior because of the Delta variant and studies showing declining antibodies. I will keep up my new precautions until the cases decline again to low numbers or I get a booster.

Given my risk profile and the precautions I’m taking, I don’t think it is necessary to reach out to my PCP about a problem that is not likely to occur.

When I talked about wanting better, proactive treatments, I meant OTC medications similar to cold or flu meds. I think I’ve said that a few times.

Congratulations Terry!!!

1 Like

Some consider low oxygenation levels to be an early warning sign. But I tend to think it’s a medium-term to later sign because the virus takes a while to move from the head (nasal pharyngeal region) to the lungs. It’s true that one can have low oxygenation and still feel fine, as we all know by now. Also, the signs and symptoms of infection among the vaccinated are a bit different (often) than they are among the unvaccinated.

Got my 3rd Pfizer vaccine yesterday. My PC and Endo encouraged me.

1 Like