Tired of Diabetes. What are you tired of?

Too true.Marie please send me that address!

Sorry Jon… HUGS

I’m tired of counting carbs, and of trying to foresee what my sugars are going to do if I eat whatever… And I am pretty darn tired of pricking my fingers… they get so brittle.

Sometimes sharing the things that frustrate us, helps us know we are not alone… We can’t always be an everlasting fountain of good disposition; after all, we are only human, and humans can often only take so much. It’s not that we have lost perspective, and can’t be positive, it’s that… we need to take a little time to vent, and breathe… for tomorrow will be another day with Diabetes, and another day to smile at the rising sun. :slight_smile: I hear ya, Jon.

Yeah… I lost my job, too. :frowning: It’s really stressful.

I hear you. Everyone needs to vent, Our disease can be overwhelming at times. And I have gotten so use to the finger pricks that I don’t even notice, although I am starting to hate the color red. Take care Liz and a big hug and kiss to you.

I’ve become immune to people’s comments. An icy glare takes care of most. I’ve tried the education route, but it usually falls on deaf ears. If someone seems open to learning, I’m happy to gently set them straight.

Am tired of the rest of it, just like everyone else. Tired of being shackled 24/7. Tired of never having time off or away from trying to vainly do what other people’s bodies do naturally. I wouldn’t mind the testing & injecting if only it gave the results we need, Worn out from the highs, the lows & wondering if I am high or low & trying so hard to be normal. Feel sad when I rejoice for the few normals. Am really tired from the level of self-absorption this asks of us. I hate thinking about myself this much. I’m a boring topic.

I don’t mind other people’s comments (or at least try not to). I also don’t mind working 24/7 for this disease if it will help keep me healthy.

What I am really tired of is the CONSTANT THINKING AND ADJUSTING. Type 1 is SO different from other diseases because I feel like I am constantly tweaking pump settings and adjusting boluses and measuring carbs and making calculations and trying to predict the future and STILL deal with highs and lows. I wouldn’t mind so much if my basals and boluses got worked out and then stayed the same forever; if I could know for certain that eating X number of carbs or exercising Y number of minutes would have basically Z effect on my blood sugar, all the time. Instead I change my pump settings one week only to find I’m bouncing around the next and have to readjust, or find that the slightest change in routine like days I go to work versus weekends have a profound impact on my blood sugars, or find that wearing infusion sets in different areas needs adjustments. I don’t mind the work, I don’t mind counting carbs and testing and poking infusion sets into myself every few days and wearing a pump 24/7 and having to exercise regularly and monitor for a bunch of other health concerns/complications … but if I didn’t have to keep doing this balancing act of constantly adjusting insulin and playing the part of a pancreas, things would be so much less frustrating. Or, at least if adjusting the insulin resulted in blood sugars being in-range consistently so that I always knew the reason for being high or low.

I seem to cycle between doing find and feeling burned out, usually related to how stable my blood sugars have been for the past few days. I’m feeling kind of burned out as of late because I’ve been having a lot of highs lately, even though a week ago things were great. I tend to have a few days where most readings are in range and then everything goes out of whack and I need to adjust. It seems to be related mostly to my activity level, placement of infusion sets, and what my female hormones are doing, but those aren’t always things I can control. This is one reason I’m really excited about even the “first generation” artificial pancreas that’s being developed. Anything that can take a bit of the load off my brain-as-pancreas would make me so happy, even if all the routine maintanence stuff of diabetes (testing, counting carbs, wearing a pump) remained.

Anyway, this got kind of ranty, so I’ll stop now. :slight_smile:

Amen to everything you stated, Jennifer. I feel the same way. The lack of consistency is the most wearing part. There is no consistency! Every day is different, often every hour is different. If only there was some formula that we could follow. I’d do anything, eat or not eat anything, if there were predictable results. Dream on.

I was so hopeful when I read about smart insulin. An insulin that auto responds to BG levels–a wish come true. No devices to mess with–sign me up now!

When my mother got diagnosed 25 yeays ago (T2) they said to her
"there is alot of information"
what did that mean?
25 years later, I understand.
I saw at university (nearly 30 years ago) what diabetes did to all the individual human body parts (of body donors). Yuck!.
I kept on asking myself how how how (how how how did that happen?)
I understand now. One day at a time, slowly slowly, over time, the ravaging effects appear. One day at a time.
We certainly need courage, strength and 'awareness".
Best of luck.

Yes we can (and certainly do) get sick and tired of this thing.
But we can (and must) tame the beast!

Mmmmm…I was Really tired of our Hockey Team losing. But Alfie’s back…Hat trick. :smiley:

So I’m still tired of severe RA. It’s not self-pity, just peed off at it usually.

I can perfectly relate and understand Jon… There are days… (not much, but there are). Days that seem great and bliss but there are days that seems to be discouraging. What I do is remind myself of the motivations I have to live healthy…and these seems to make my day a lot better =)

Just one comment. I don’t have a CHOICE about whether to tell colleagues or friends about my diabetes. My LIFE could depend on them knowing, if I pass out or have troubles at work or in a public place. Suppose I pass out from a low or DKA? The fact that someone knows could mean the difference between getting the help I need, or a call to a loved one explaining my death because they didn’t know what was wrong soon enough. It has nothing to do with self-pity, either. I think that when someone voices frustration or anger, we should listen and not judge. These are valid feelings, and it does not mean that the person is a wimp. Can I suck it up and stiffle my emotions? Yep…but I don’t happen to think that is healthy. I come here to hear people with diabetes…what they think and feel. I need them to listen, too. When someone treats me (I am a Type 1 diabetic) like I can’t eat what i want and need, it is very frustrating for me! Many is the day I curse them calling Type 1 and Type 2 by the same name, when they are totally diifferent diseases with the same symptoms. I constantly get advice or even get dismissed becuase to them diabetes is only type 2, or Type 1 is only children! I am in the process of getting my first pump, and all the literature is geared for children. It can be hard to take! Type 2s have it even harder in a way. There are a lot of very callous folks out there who dismiss them as having caused their own problem due to over-eating. How would YOU like to be battling a disease where everyone s constantly judging you? Anyway, I just want to say that folks need to be heard, need to live it, accept it, let it out, and let it go! It’s not self-pity. It’s dealing with diabetes. it may not be YOUR way, but its a perfectly healthy and valid way. Peace.

So sorry Carol…big hug for you.

Hi Jon,

I honestly understand what you are saying and I think any diabetic that says they don’t get tired of it is either fooling themselves or on more than just insulin! I’ve been T1 for 30 years and now at age 32 I have serious problems but at the moment I am still able to look after myself. I have a sister in law who is disabled with Multiple Sclerosis and whenever I’m having a bad day I just thank my lucky stars that I’m not in that situation. I’m not a religious person but I would rather God gave me diabetes that any of my family or friends.

Just know that you are not alone (I know we all feel that we are) and when you need to blow off about something, we are all sat waiting to listen to you.

PS my other sister in law always lectures me on what I should and shouldn’t be eating yet she quite often buys us normal chocolates. It makes me want to ram them down her throat!

Yes, I have one of those, Manuel got one for each of us. They are great!

I don’t have it myself, and I am tired of it: mood swings and highs, not a good pair, I wish for them to go away.

My heart goes to all of you
Ive being going through a rough patch lately
simply being tired of … being tired. I use to be able to work from 5am to 1am
create projects for me and others , volonteer my time every moment i had.
But i am at a point where i dont know if i’ll even be able to get up in the mornings,
my thyroid is out of wack,my energy level is non existant and my mood swings
are completely out of this world ! I thank the few people i have in my life, but i find hard
when they are also dependent of me. ( mom with Multiple sclorosis, sister in burnout & unemployed bf)
Theres no way i would change the fact that i am diabetic but i would defenetly take a little boost of
energy if i could ! I eat well, i am active and i am chosing to stand tall and proud. We are truly lucky to be alive , to be living in a society where we have the power to have an influence on our D and eventho sometimes it feels like it’s too much - we can do it.
Cheers

me too. I wear medic alert tags, etc. But only my immediate boss and then my family know that I’m T1D. That way I avoid having to deal with others’ ignorant comments.
And when someone says something, I kindly, but FIRMLY tell them that they were misinformed and then I correct the error in judgement.

i’m tired of worrying. :slight_smile:

Sweet Blood

please PLEASE call your endo. They usually have stocked up supplies in their offices.
When I was waiting out the 90 day insurance period when I got my new job a few years ago, I was without money and without insurance. My endo supplied me with a few vials EACH of insulin.

JUST ASK. They should be able to help. They get samples from medical companies all the time and there are so few Type 1s that usually the insulin just expires in the Endo’s refrigerator and then they throw it away.

ASK. Please.

Gerri- You are awesome. :slight_smile:
You have said exactly what I feel.
Thanks!