Top 5 Foods

I thought we could get some new food ideas from eachother.

If you had to name the Top 5 foods that are blood sugar friendly for you. What would they be? These are the foods that keep my blood sugar stable and can always be found in my house…

1. Oatmeal
  2. Cottage Cheese
  3. Grilled Chicken and salad
  4. Strawberries
  5. Whole wheat pitas (or spinach pitas) filled with alfalfa sprouts, shredded cheese, and a piece of lunch meat

I wish I could eat oatmeal. My BG goes through the roof, even when I eat it raw as muesli. Here are my favorites:

1. Strawberries
  2. Stoneybrook Farm whole milk yogurt - I add dark chocolate, frozen cherries and Da Vinci vanilla syrup.
  3. Apple slices with almond or cashew butter
  4. Bran crackers with butter, cheese and Branston Pickle (a kind of low-carb ploughman’s lunch)
  5. Sprouted foods of all kinds, including grains, beans, peas, lentils and of course the leafy greens such as alfalfa.

For keeping my blood sugar stable (I’m a type two), I eat bananas, apricots, tomatoes, spinach, and any other fruit or vegetable high in potassium to the tune of 600 to 800 Calories a day of total carbs. Since getting my potassium level up above 2,000 mg. per day, my BGL has gone down significantly. So much so, that on Dec. 13th, I stopped taking my Metformin. As long as I stay the heck away from refined carbs (no more than 200 Calories a day) keep up the fruits and vegetables, and walk an hour or so a day, my blood glucose usually stays under 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/l) fasting and rarely goes over 120 (6.7) post prandial. My 14 day average the other day was 90 (5.0). According to my research, a high nutrient to calorie ratio diet has multiple benefits including reducing insulin resistance. Wish I would have know about this 10 years ago.

I absolutely love the high potassium fruits you eat Mr Peachy, but can not have them or the high potassium containing potatoes or spinach. due to kidney problems. I think I miss the bananas and strawberries the most and love the smell of them when I pass them by in the store. But the five foods I always have on hand are these.

1. sugar free yogurt with active cultures.
  2. fresh or frozen blueberries
  3. shaved turkey or chicken breast
    4 cauliflower for roasting or any other way it can be prepared, as well as broccoli and green beans
    5 at least 1 slice of 12 grain bread per day
    I use two types of insulin and have been very successful at keeping my blood sugars down to around 110 and lower with the routine I have changed to lately. Hopefully I will be able to increase my exercise by increments and can hardly wait for my next A1C.

I eat lots of salad and fresh veggies, bananas when there are any left, my family likes bananas as well

I love peanuts and peanut butter, filling and does not send my sugar for a loop.

that said I had low carb oatmeal once and my BG 2 hours later was on the roof, 197, so I try to stay away.

What kind of oatmeal do you like? My grandmother is in love with steel-cut oats, to the point that we no longer allow Quaker Oats in the house.

If I need a quick carb & protein boost, I reach for the hummus. We make our own, and the most recent incarnation is what we jokingly call “Baba Black Hummus.” It has roasted eggplant (baba ganoush), black beans, and chickpeas. I like it with whole wheat crackers or the fresh pita from my favorite Lebanese restaurant, but you can also dip it up with spinach leaves or Bibb lettuce.

We also keep cooked chicken on hand. I tend to cook 5-6 pounds of chicken all at once, either baked or pan-seared with just salt, pepper, and maybe a little cumin. I keep the spice to a minimum so the chicken will be versatile when I use it later.

Roasted garlic is another staple. Cut a head of garlic in half, drizzle the cut sides with olive oil, wrap it in foil, and bake for an hour at 400 degrees. We roast a ton of garlic at the same time and use it over the next few weeks. It’s an easy way to add a lot of flavor to any dish.

1. Almonds
  2. Ezekiel 4:9 Bread
  3. Avocados
  4. Black beans
  5. Salmon
  1. Chicken
  2. Beef or Bison
  3. Pork
  4. Fish
  5. Jones Sugar Free Black Cherry Soda

Don’t laugh, it’s probably 60 to 70 percent of what goes in my mouth by gram mass :wink:

• Oat bran (oatmeal is useful only when I'm running low bg)
  • Almonds, almond butter, peanuts, peanut butter, ground flax seed
  • Reduced-fat string cheese; fat-free yogurt; edamame; eggs
  • Fresh fruits -- all types, but always either bananas or cantaloupe, lemons and/or limes, then berries, oranges, apples, grapes, etc. depending on season -- not always bg-friendly but always health-friendly
  • Fresh veggies -- onions, garlic, mixed greens, baby carrots, broccoli, red bell peppers; grape tomatoes, chili peppers, ginger, shallots, green beans, snow pea pods, other veggies depending on mood, season, and what's on sale and looks good
  • Dried beans, multiple varieties
OK, that's six categories and doesn't go through my entire staples list, but oh, well...

I love this topic!

1. Oatmeal (I have this every day for breakfast and I am almost always below 90 by lunch)
  2. Graham Crackers (These seem to get me out of my lows, without “overcarbing” it)
  3. Peanut Butter (Spread a little on my Graham crackers when I’m in a low and it’s almost like a cookie)
  4. Apples (I craved apples when I was first diagnosed and was out of the hospital)
  5. Low fat String Cheese
  6. Salad Fixings (Ok, so that’s six, whoops)

Let’s see…

Salmon
salad mix (all types)
oatmeal
sara lee whole wheat bread 9g of carbs per slice
peanut butter
cherries
Strawberries
gyro sandwhich

I’m going to cheat by putting a few things as my #1

1. Salmon, Sea Bass, Tilapia
  2. Grilled veggies (egg plant, mushrooms, squash(in moderation)
  3. cottage cheese
  4. peanut butter (give me a HUGE spoon and the entire jar…I’m a happy camper)
  5. greens (in moderation or I become the human salad shooter)
  6. grilled asparagus

I was going to stop at 5, then I remembered the asparagus…I’m addicted

1. Salad stuff
  2. Fish
  3. Meat & chicken
  4. Pecans
  5. Red Wine

Popcorn is number one.

All others are number two, or lower.

Steel-cut oatmeal with yogurt

Any vegetable

Almost any fruit