TSlim newest version 7.7.0.1

Just updated my pump and t:connect app to the newest version and am STILL disappointed that only Samsung Android phones can use the bolusing feature from the t:connect app. WHY? you may ask… Because Tandem got some $$ from Samsung to throttle this feature for all other Android phones, and so I still wait. :sweat:

What? No. It’s a law of numbers. The payoff has to justify the expense. We’re talking about a medical device that requires extensive compatibility testing to satisfy our government overlords and protect the company from legal liability. It’s because about 80% of all the people in the US are using either an Apple or Samsung phone. Those two dominate the industry. That other 20% is split between about 250 different brands, each with many different models to choose from. It’s further complicated by the fact that there is no one standardized version of Android. It’s an open-source project and every phone manufacturer tweaks it a little… or a LOT. So Tandem can’t just broadly state “all phones running Android 8+ are compatible”, rather each and every single one of those models would have to be tested for compatibility. That’s expensive! There just hasn’t been enough users to justify the expense. As they’re getting ready to launch worldwide mobile bolus support, though, we may see some new devices added. Apple and Samsung only have about half the global market share.

Note, Lenovo only looks as popular as it is because 6 different brands fall under that umbrella, including Motorola.

2 Likes

Remote bolus on Samsung phones running Android 14 currently doesn’t work either.

It was working on my Samsung Galaxy S22 phone on Android 13 but when a phone update is available, it is extremely difficult to stop it and once it is complete, it is impossible to downgrade.

BTW, the latest version of t:slim x2 firmware is 7.8. They added Libre 3 Plus CGM sensors in addition to the Dexcom G7 added in 7.7.

I saw that today - I will update again.

The main idea of t:connect (vs simply using the dexcom app to check BGs) is it’s bolusing ability, which is clearly a low priority feature at this time. However, Tandem is HEAVILY selling investors on the Mobi, which solely uses mobile bolusing (no screen). The fact that mobile bolusing via t:connect is mediocre at best should be a red flag to anyone.

Mobi users a different app than T:connect. Those of us who have used Omnipod or a DIY algorithm know mobile bolusing doesn’t have to be flawed. You just have to optimize your phone (don’t kill the app) and the app to work together.

@Robyn_H tell me more! I was so stoked to use the mobile bolusing part with the T slim and have been disappointed for years. I would LOVE to know how to make this work!!

A lot of the improvements need done by Tandem. There are T:slim artifacts buried in the Mobi app, so people geekier than me think that eventually everyone will be shifted over to the sure-to-be-renamed Mobi app and benefit from the improved interface, and the current T:connect app will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Full disclosure, I’m a lonnngg time out of warranty, so I can’t actually use the Mobile Bolus feature, but have had used the DIY AndroidAPS, where my pump was entirely controlled by my phone and I really loved the experience. No communication or killed app issues. (Just didn’t love the Pods.)

I have almost zero experience with iPhone, so I can’t help there. And desperately hoping I don’t have to get one for Mobi. If you’re team Android (Samsung specifically if you’ve got mobile bolus), though, there’s a website called Don’t Kill My App that details where the settings that need changed are. They really don’t like Samsung because the operating system is really aggressive at killing apps and background services to preserve battery, but the steps still work.

They biggest thing you can do is lock the app to your recent apps drawer. It’s basically how you tell the phone that this app is the chosen one you will protect above all others. You can only do that with 1 app now, unfortunately. Right now Xdrip (CGM) has that conveted position on my phone, but when I was running AndroidAPS and my life was dependent on that connection, then AndroidAPS got that spot. Worked flawlessly. When I’m able to get the Mobi (and it’s compatible with Android), then that will be the app I lock.

In addition, a problem this site doesn’t seem to talk about is that even if you keep an app running in the background, by disabling battery optimization, sometimes the phone will still turn off the Bluetooth… Because that’s a different app. So just like that link shows how to turn off battery optimization per app, I had to go look at system apps and turn off battery optimization for everything related to Bluetooth. I don’t know what the different apps control, so I just turned it off for all 3 apps that had Bluetooth in the name. Made the connection stable, even at night when the phone seems to go into hibernation mode.

I didn’t take a picture here, but click on the search icon and type in the word bluetooth.

2 Likes

Not sure I follw your comment. I find mobile bolus pretty good. I probably use it 90% of the time. You do have the extra step of needing to identify yourself with your fingerprint (no different than logging into your bank account) to confirm the bolus.

There are definetly features missing from the app, but in regards to mobile bolus it is pretty good (my opinion).

3 Likes

@Robyn_H Thank you!!! - I really appreciate the screenshots! This is how I learn. I am interested in the Mobi future, but despise the fact that the developers are all Apple geeks. I am not a fan. We’ll see how it shakes out…

1 Like

GUESS WHAT!? I un-pared my pump & t:connect app today and re-pared and I am now able for the first time since this was rolled out to bolus from my Pixel!

I am super-stoked. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes