Two year anniversary

Today is my two year anniversary of my diagnosis of T1 diabetes.

At age 55 I was suddenly diabetic and diagnosed fairly quickly as insulin dependent - the most alarming thing that got me to the doctor’s was the rapid degeneration of my eyesight within a couple weeks. I had never been to the emergency room before in my life for myself, but in my first year I went 5 times - nothing ever serious, mostly frightening experiences I didn’t know how to handle yet. Year 2 I really started to learn and found this community. I got a CGM and then an OmniPod. The CGM was a life changer, especially because of the arrows allowing me to predict better. Then I heard about Sugar Surfing and that made for quantum leaps ahead. From my first diagnosis with 9.7 A1C, I am now at 5.5 A1C (according to SugarMate).

From the beginning I’ve thought of diabetes in terms of being my new baby - having to watch over it, take care of it, feed it, wake up for it, be gentle, listen, pay attention, read about it, figure out how to handle it as it changes and brings all sorts of surprises… all these things. I’ve also made a conscious effort not to think of diabetes as something outside myself, but rather to own it as part of who I am, physically, emotionally, and also the social impact on relationships and work. Life changing in so many ways.

There are positive things related to my diagnosis. I am now much more aware of my body and the effects of food. I make more choices based on longer terms effects rather than instant gratification. I’m thankful that I was diagnosed later in life and not as a child or young adult. I appreciate my sister who was diagnosed at age 24 (now 50) more and the times we have together talking strategies and our struggles - we support each other. I am much more conscious of the cost of medications and the life and death struggles of those who can’t afford what they need. But most of all I look forward to my occasional treats much much more!

Life remains good and I look forward to continued advances in technology and fine tuning things for myself in this 3rd year.

Thank you for reading - Bonnie

11 Likes

I love your analogy of having to care for diabetes like a new baby. Well written. Excellent attitude. Good luck.

1 Like

Good job with everything.

2 Likes

I love this description! It took me many more years than you to conclude that owning my diabetes was the best way to deal with it well. By owning it, you can no longer see it as some evil outside entity that fate has dealt to you. That path leads to the role of victim, a powerless stance and no way to live.

Congrats on taking control and finding a path that enhances your life despite diabetes’ needy demands!

Thank you Terry
I feel fortunate to have developed diabetes later in life bc I have some wisdom to bring to it/me, life experience from other difficult junctures and life challenges.
My sister relates to diabetes as her master and that hasn’t really helped her at all. For her it’s a battle instead of a dance.

1 Like

Thank you. I wanted to share/mark the moment but didn’t know where to do it -this group has helped me so much even though I don’t make many contributions. I’ve been mostly an observer, a learner, a pie stander.

Bonnie11,

Just dive in. I’m sure your wisdom, maturity and humor would be greatly valued.

That’s a really touchy story, you should start writing a book!

1 Like