Type 1, I'm being bullied

I had similar experiences when I was coming up as well being a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 9. I had a few bullies growing up that did similar things to me as well. I had a group of good friends that took care of a good bit of it. However I had some circumstances when I got into junior high school happen that got unbearable. Like you; things were cool in the classroom or when teachers were around, but stuff got out of hand in the courtyard, class change or the bus.

As much as I would have loved to do the special brownie idea; the thought of that getting into the wrong hands was / would be a serious concern. I liked what someone said earlier about keeping a log. I took it a step further by actually recording the interactions on a micro cassette recorder. You have to understand this was the early 1990s and most of us kids in those days carried cassette walkmans; so it was easy for me to run one of these in my jacket pocket or dare I say it fanny pack. Today you could probably do the same thing with a smart phone or digital recorder device.

If I had recorded a particular bad interaction on a given day I would come home and play the micro tape into my cassette recorder on my home stereo. So the recording would go something like this: My voice would start the micro tape with the date; Something I would do before leaving the house in the AM. Then if I had a interaction with insulting comments I had it in there own words. I would down sample to a cassette tape (bigger tape that most people had players for in those days) so that I could sort of make a highlight reel that I could give to the principal and cut out the dead space. I would activate the tape recorder during class change, lunch, and break. I use to run it in the locker room too; since it was just audio. Since my aggressors were male and in my gym class.

What I did was put together around 45 minutes (one side of a 90 minute audio cassette) of my voice saying the date; then playing the interaction off my micro player. Once I had this; I made several copies gave them to my parents and school officials. They even gave copies of the tapes to the parents involved to listen to there little precious Johnny say the insensitive things; I was putting up with. The idea of doing the highlight reel was so that I could make sure that anything that was said between me and my friends stayed between us. I usually erased the micro cassettes daily and reused them. Sometimes the mic would not pickup the interaction. Parents could not debate that the voice on the recording was definitely they’re child. It probably took me a month and a half to get enough recordings that were usable to make my 45 minute reel.

I had a love for electronics and audio gear from a young age; so I treated this like I would a mix tape project. I heard the loops so much by the end of making the tapes that it even served as a way to desensitize me. I use to DJ our junior high dances back in those days; because the school did not have the money to hire a pro.

Good luck to you.

9 Likes

@Big_Ed – Excellent idea. It’d even be easier to do today with smart phones and smart watches. My Apple Watch can control audio playback; I imagine it could also control a recording.

Did your project silence the bullies without any further retaliation?

1 Like

Yes, it was a success. The parents took care of the issue. I think what drove the point home for the adults was the fact that I assembled this over a month and a half. So in there heads they had to wonder how long this went on, before I decided to take action.

I think I scared those kids too. They were always afraid I might be making recordings.
Ed

6 Likes

Thanks everybody, you;ve all been incredibly supportive and helpful. @Kokos your brownie idea cracked me up!

5 Likes

So glad you checked back in @motrojam1! Sometimes people turn up on a forum, make a single post and don’t return, which is ok, but with this one I think a lot of us were very concerned for you–I know I was/am–because this kind of bullying can be emotionally devastating, especially if you’re facing it alone and don’t have anyone to at least talk about it with. So I was hoping you’d show back up to let us know you were ok.

3 Likes

LOL at the brownie idea!! Technically the bully is not “just” bullying, he’s stealing, potentially assaulting you and harrassing you, since you asked him to stop. While stealing food is a very minor issue to most people, to someone with diabetes, if you get unbalanced, it’s what about $2500-3K (at least…) to get ambulanced to the ER and taken care of there? That is not acceptable. I agree with escalating your complaints through school and, if that doesn’t work, I’d consider calling the police and letting them sort it out. It’s a violation of your civil liberties and, while his defense would be that “it’s no big deal…”, his violation of your space is all of the above.

Maybe martial arts too. We learned how to get people to drop knives (with plastic knives, although one interesting student proposed magic markers would be useful…) which would involve breaking his elbow however that would 1) cost $$ 2) take a long time 3) is hard 4) you would get in big trouble for breaking his arm.

1 Like

I didn’t even think of videoing him doing what he’s doing - in today’s world of mobiles it is the easiest way to get evidence!!
I’m glad that you took my laxative idea for what it was - a bit of a laugh. Although it would feel very satisfying to do - it is to a certain extent stooping to his level - he is stealing food from someone who has to carry it for an illness, and you would be exploiting his obvious mental and psychological incapacity that forces him to bully people.
But seriously, get the evidence you can, then take it through all the channels available to you. And don’t let yourself be a victim here - what he is doing is at the very least, stealing. The fact that he is taking your bag from you (by force or implied force i would presume), makes it also assault - if someone mugged you and stole your wallet, you would file a complaint, even if there was only a small amount of money in the wallet right? It seems a little that because it is about your diabetes you are overlooking the actual nature of what this kid is doing. Diabetes or no, he’s stealing, and he’s doing it by using his physical presence/ superior strength/ social position as a means of forcing you to comply to his will. In any other context that is a crime.
So, get what documentation and/or witness statements you can, and take this sucker down!!!

3 Likes

My heart aches for you,as I was bullied and teased for being fat.Let me just say that no matter what anyone says you have to continue to take care of yourself.It is hard to believe in this day and age that diabetes still isn’t accepted by some.Tell everyone of authority that you can think of to get it to stop.This comment might not help you but each experience you have like this will make you a very strong person.Good luck and take care

1 Like

kids, who like, to bully, are evil. i can say more, but it not nice,.

So I want to reply to the sweet little girl being “bullied” by some low kid. First, remember, people who feel the need to hurt are hurting. Say that to him loud and clear. “You are obviously a hugely miserable person, and want to make others miserable too” Very loud! Then be nice, always be a bigger person. You are dealing with diabetes! It’s really serious. Let him know “I have much more important things to deal with then you” Say it loud then tell him to try to find something slightly more intelligent to do. I would ask your parents if you can get into a sport or martial art that is empowering like karate. It teaches self respect, self worth, strength and self defense. You need to defend yourself and you can. Be strong, be fair, and let this kid know your not afraid to get in his face! Hugs!!!

2 Likes

I’m with, cherese, let them know, it what, i did to my, & the martial art sport, is a good thing, i took it when, i was 19,.

stay strong,.

1 Like

Me too… insulin has caused me to put on a lot of weight… Just can’t seem to shed it off despite exercising …

Not sure I see how this fits into the context of this thread, but … oh, well.

Have you tried not eating coupled with matching (lowering) your insulin to the lower carb level? My understanding is that it is not insulin which makes you gain weight. Insulin just allows your body to function (more) normally. Not gaining weight when you consume more calories than you burn is not normal, no?

1 Like

I agree with this… this isn’t just bullying, by forcefully taking your things from you, this person is committing a crime (several crimes, actually), and you have EVERY right (even as a minor) to march down to the nearest police station and press charges against this individual. If the school isn’t doing anything to stop this person’s behavior and is failing to protect you while you are at school, then you have every right to press charges against them as well.

I realize that taking such action may seem over the top, but sometimes it IS necessary to get the right people to take notice.

3 Likes

i do think going & press charges is good, but as a minor there, not much they can do, but you are to press charges, if the school do nothing,.

exercising will make you fit, it won’t get rid of weight. I would suggest you LCHF to cut your carbs which will reduce your insulin and insulin resistance.
The other thing is are you really overweight or just see flab in the mirror, when every one says how well you look.
a long page and a few good video’s

this group on FB may help a bit
http://typeonegrit.blogspot.com.au/

the first week sucks…what to expect the first week

1 Like

also I just realized you are 14, this is the time your hormones fatten you up naturally. boys put on more muscle, girls put on more fat… Look at some old school year books and follow a class. It won’t be till 17-18 the puberty weight settles.

are you seeing a diabetic clinic? they should have a dietitian there. If not, ask to see a dietitian and sort your diet out for the next few years. I would follow the normal development of teens and let your scales tell you in you are in range.

As you know, you don’t need is an insulin/eating problem. Some don’t take all their insulin, to make themselves sick and lose weight. This is so unnessesary and silly, when simply cutting carbs reduces insulin and does the same thing. the bonus is you are still very healthy :slight_smile:

1 Like

i see a dietitian, they are someone, i think who will help, you out to,.

& like jack says, try simply cutting carbs, this low-carb diet, i been trying it, not so bad,.

2 Likes

This is terrible. My kids school system has a zero bullying policy. I have asked my kids if they have ever been the victim of bullying or seen someone being bullied and was told “yes, but that person was expelled”. Seems to me that if you document your experience with the help of you parents/guardians that the matter can be brought to school officials. I would expect that this person would soon be expelled or suspended.

But I live in New Jersey. We have a Harassment, Intimidation & Bullying law. Our schools take this very seriously.

1 Like

to me, ever school, need a zero bullying policy, it something ever state needs,.