Venison anyone?

I was gifted a load of venison - meat, heart, liver. I know what to do with the meat, but clueless about the rest. Is it edible, or should I give it to my dogs? Has anyone ever cooked it? Got any tips?

TIA!

In many hunting cultures the liver is the most prized part of the kill, it is consumed first often raw. How brave are you?

OMG. Don't give it to the dogs, venison is great. Venison as a wild meat tends to be tougher and a little gamier than the typical meat. A good way to prepare venison is braising.

Season and brown the venisson
Put in dutch oven with onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots and garlic
Add spices, bay leaf, pepper, thyme, tarragon, etc
Add stock and red wine
Cook at 3-4 hours at 250-300 deg F

The heart will braise great as well. I like to just fry the liver in bacon fat and would eat it first. You could age the venison some.

omg, I got some too, ground meat & minute steaks.

I've made venison stew. OK then... I already froze it all, but will try one of the livers in bacon fat tonight. With the bacon, and onions LOL.

Thanks for the help!

Can't imagine anything fried in bacon grease not tasting good!

I actually like liver. You can prepare it just the same as you would with beef liver. If you are not a fan of liver, you could also do something like a liver pate. If it is a young animal, the liver should be nice and tender right out of the pan. If it is an older animal, it may be better simmered longer. Don't overheat and overcook the liver, it will get tough.

You probably know all this and are a liver pro.

My late husband loved beef liver, I'm a big chicken liver fan. Some of it will be made into a good jewish chopped liver, some fried with the always-wonderful bacon. We'll see ;) I do know they are super-fresh, so that's a good start.

My son-in-law is planning to grill some of the filets, any reason not to?

Liverwurst! Braunschweiger!
Braunschweiger

2 1/2 lbs. fine ground cooked pork liver (boiled)
2 1/2 lbs. fine ground cooked pork butt (boiled)
2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground marjoram
2 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sage
1 cup grated onions
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. white pepper
1 cup water used for boiling meat

Combine all ingredients, mix until smooth and pasty and stuff into beef,
hog or cloth casing. Simmer in salted water for approximately 20
minutes. Refrigerate for 24 hours before using.This sausage is much like
liverwurst. Use it as a spread.

Oh my gosh that sounds good - I love good liverwurst, with good mustard! Casings huh? Hmmmmmm

Give it all to the dogs. Why fiddle with heart disease?

Huh? This is venison, not a box of krispy kreme.

Heart disease? From...?

The ground meat is great mixed with, say, pork as meatballs. Never heard of venison minute steaks!

Here's an interesting video on preparing deer heart. Low carbers can substitute a little almond flour for the breading and you're good to go.

(carbs!) ;-)

I'd think that broiling the venison might be good too? I've done some nice meat that way.

Can't get the video to show, but listened to a bit, I'll try again later.

Thought I'd defrosted some liver last night, it turned out to be ribs LOL Trying again, heart this time ;)

Well, I tried the heart tonight. Seasoned it with a little garlic, chile/lime seasoning, some other yummies. I didn't bread it with anything, just sauteed it in bacon fat. It was tender, but has a slightly gamey aftertaste. The bacon I rendered was awesome LOL. I'm thinking it would make an awesome chili with jalapenos and some black soy beans :)

Liver next.