We Made It! Happy Easter!

It has now been 3 days since Brennen started the Omnipod pump. We were really looking forward to becoming pumpers. However, because of several factors (see my blog “Crossing Our Fingers”) we weren’t sure if pumping would be the best choice for us. We were told that the cannula might occlude since we weren’t going to be able to use the basal rate feature at this point. So, we played the waiting game. We made it to our first pod change today without any occlusions!!! That is a huge weight off of my shoulders. I was really dreading having to tell him that we were going to have to go back to the four shots a day regimen we were on before. Since he has been pumping, he has only needed to get one shot a day (of Levemir) and he absoulutely does not want anything to do with it. Thank God I do not have to tell him that! We just need to do a little tweaking of insulin to carb ratios and correction factors, and we should be ready to go. It will be so nice to not have to deny him food because of what his blood sugar is doing and when he has eaten last. I love his new pump!!! Happy Easter!!!