What did you eat yesterday?

I find the concept of OMAD very interesting. I can see it being an adjustment, but once used to the idea of OMAD, it probably takes away the stress of all the thinking about food that happens, at least for me, in terms of diabetes and maintaining a healthy weight. Only thing I would find hard to figure out is how to get my vegetable intake in. Things like protein and fat would be easy, but all the veggies I would think I’d have to make a veggie smoothie or something to ensure I’m meeting my veggie intake requirements??

I alternate, 1 day mousse or other from freezer, next day can be zoodles or salad. I don’t do full range every day.

1 Like

…plus some form(s) of protein around every day, if not every meal.

Right?

Advise against eating your lawn dandelions if that lawn region has been treated with herbicides or pesticides. or perhaps they can safely be washed - I would doubt it because the surface(s) is totally unlike a fruit’s skin.

2 Likes

No pesticides or herbicides on our plants & weeds, but good point to remember!

1 Like

I had a really nice patch at my old house and my husband forgot I had told him to leave them alone and they got mowed and died. No matter how much I kept trying to "blow the seeds into the same area they never grew there again. We never used pesticides and we had random ones that grew in the grass area but you know we had dogs and…

1 Like

@Arfiezy

"…plus some form(s) of protein around every day, if not every meal.

Right?"

I had some fake bacon on my salad. But I don’t actually pay attention to making sure about specific food groups each day. Some days will be higher and some lower. Most days have either fake meats, tofu, nuts, soymilk or beans somewhere in them.

I get a new cat on Saturday. If the flu makes more food shortages, I can eat him too.

@mohe0001 No you can’t, I thought you were a vegetarian!

1 Like

yum yum, cat meat, lol. He’s hilarious. He’s got super long skinny legs.

I’m responding to those who face a difficult to stop habit of artificially sweetened and caffeinated soft drinks and other sugar-free snacks. I was a Diet Coke drinker for many years, decades really. I was comforted by the fact that this zero-carb drink had zero effect on my blood sugar. But I always had a slight uneasiness about the health effects of consuming it long term. I also enjoyed the caffeine effect it had on me but I consumed most of my daily caffeine in coffee.

When I moved aboard a sailboat, it became obvious to me the sheer volume and weight of buying, transporting, and recycling this habit created. This drink had zero nutritional value and only satisfied a peculiar habit created by a corporation.

I stopped buying Diet Coke and replaced it with sparkling water flavored with a hint of lime. This satisfied my enjoyment of drinking something carbonated and made getting off of the Diet Coke relatively easy. I was still drinking my coffee every day so there was no caffeine withdrawal to deal with. I then started drinking fewer and fewer sparking water each day and after a few months, stopped that consumption as well. As far as breaking habits goes, I found this one relatively easy.

I bought some “sugar-free” chocolate last year that only contained 3 grams of net carbs sweetened with monk fruit. A one ounce serving, however, still contained 150 calories. I found myself rationalizing eating a second ounce an easy sell. Each ounce, packaged separately, only contained 3 grams of carbs, surely I could “afford” to treat myself.

Well, I soon discovered that while the immediate blood sugar effect didn’t show a blood sugar management degradation, it did after a day or two of this habit. My average blood sugar went up as my total daily dose of insulin needed to be boosted by a few units.

More troubling, however, was the psychological effect that these “safe” chocolates had on me. I found that my attention was drawn to them immediately when I re-entered my apartment after going out for a walk or an errand. I had to exert some willpower to resist eating another ounce or two. I didn’t like this effect.

I think any food that creates more desire to eat it while it never really satiates your appetite is an insidious trap that invites you to compromise your health. This scenario is more like an addicting illegal drug than a food. When I eat a hamburger or a steak or eggs, I never want to eat more of that food after I’m done with a serving. The sugar free chocolates had the same effect on me as breakfast cereal, potato chips, and Doritos.

I’m happiest without artificially sweetened snack food and beverages. If I allow myself the occasional “treat,” I must consciously expend some willpower to resist satisfying that treat urge again. For me, it only takes one exposure to open the habit door. I’m better off just resisting the initial urge. By the way, eating berries satisfies my sweet tooth without creating the desire to eat my entire supply in one sitting. I also find eating a small portion of normally sweetened chocolate easier to resist eating more than my intended allotment.

5 Likes

Not much! Just not very hungry. Think some is my magic Victoza and some is just the stress of working in a grocery store environment.
But I had 25 grams of prunes in the morning
12 grams of cottage cheese and 10 grams of kiwi for lunch.
That was it! Very, very sad. I had planned on doing a whole Mexican dinner but was so tired, the men in my life had to deal with dinner on their own!

2 Likes

I love chipped beef on toast. My mom use to cook it all the time and we had it at school for lunch. Had to stop eating it due to the sodium.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: coffee with cream and Splenda, GF oats with chia seeds, an egg and blueberries

Lunch: salad with fresh parm, veg and 1/2 cup chick peas, Newman’s Own dressing

Dinner: chicken broccoli cheese cordon-blue and asparagus

No snacks that day

Hi,
Marilyn can you post the Garbanzo bean cookie recipe?

1 Like

Thanks Terry I think you nailed it with artificially sweetened food. It’s an insidious trap and it definitely invites us diabetics to compromise our health. Remember more insulin, more weight gain. Is that treat worth it. Not in my book.

I am really bad with artificial sweeteners. I have 4 packets of Splenda in my 2 cups of morning coffee, and another 2 in my chia seed pudding or oatmeal (which I still don’t find sweet enough, but am trying to cut down). I was drinking 5 bottles of Coke Zero a day, but have cut that down to maybe 1, some days none (I try to drink ice water with electrolyte drops in place). I was actually at my friends house the other day for a sleepover, and she didn’t have any artificial sweetener, so I tried real sugar in my coffee and couldn’t get it sweet enough! I think the sweetness of Splenda tastes way sweeter than real sugar (IMHO). I don’t really like stevia, and I’m not sure I believe that it is any better. I have tried going cold turkey on the sweetener, but I don’t enjoy my oatmeal or coffee without it.

Meals
Toast with tomatoes, basil, olive oil and Daiya cheese alt baked
Stir fried mixed veggies with tofu in sesame oil
Snacks
Rolled tofurky
Pineapple and papaya
Vegan Chocolate chip cookie

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 can unsalted garbanzos drained and rinsed

8-10 soft pitted medjool dates (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes then drained)

1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

1 T baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 T chia seeds + 3 tbsps water

.1 t vanilla

1 t cinnamon

1/2 cup carob chips

Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix chia seeds with the water and allow to sit for 15 minutes to thicken.

Blend all ingredients except the carob chips in food processor until smooth.

Mix in carob chips

Scoop 2 tbsp sized rounds onto a baking sheet and flatten them out to about 1/3.

Bake for 18-20 min

Cool

Enjoy

2 Likes

Thanks Marilyn, do you know how many carbs are in a cookie?